Sign in to follow this  
kdsmith27

North Hardin wins Big East tourney

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20070114&Category=SPORTS05&ArtNo=701140556&SectionCat=SPORTS&Template=printart

N. Hardin wins Big East tourney

By Bob White

Special to The Courier-Journal

Mikal McNeely, a junior wrestler for host Eastern High School, saw his first competitive action of the season in the Big East Invitational last night and made it a memorable one.

McNeely scored on two takedowns in the final 36.5 seconds to beat Russ Whatley of Trinity 9-7 in a hard-fought 145-pound final.

"I messed up my back in football, and then I hurt my shoulder when I started wrestling," said McNeely, who had an 18-18 record last season, his first in the sport.

McNeely and Whatley were tied 5-5 late in the third period when McNeely got his first takedown, but seconds after that Whatley was awarded an escape point. The same thing happened after McNeely's second takedown.

"I'm a little out of shape," McNeely said with a grin. "He got a point both times because I let him up. I didn't want him to get two points for rolling up. I played it on the safe side."

Ben Rupp, McNeely's teammate, won the coaches' vote as the Most Valuable Wrestler after holding off John Florence of Trinity 6-5 in the 171 final. Rupp, ranked No. 1 in the state, has beaten No. 2 Florence twice this season.

North Hardin, Union County and Oldham County each had three individual champions, and Trinity had two, but North Hardin outpointed Trinity 257