Sign in to follow this  
THE_BOP!!!!!

jefferson county

i think the way things got seeded made it more intresting and the semi finals will have great matches along with the finals...seeding doesnt really matter I mean for instance Kevin Snyder of Desales got beat 13-10 by an unranked kid from Iriquouis(spelling may be wrong) that juss shows seeding dosent matter that much maybe at bigger tournaments but not neccasarly jefferson county

Maybe that's just an example of poor seeding at this tournament.

I thought about this after I made the post.  Most tourneys are not this big.  Maybe an easier way would be to just single out the top 4-8 wrestlers (depending on the size of the tourney) random draw them into the seeded spots then draw the rest out. 

The huge time it takes to seed a tourney is ridiculus.  Escpecialy if it is done after weigh ins.  By doing it this way you can finish the seed meeting in 20 minutes.

In my few years as a coach, I haven't seen any big issues.  #1 is usually pretty obvious, but may take a little discussion.  #2 and #3 are equal, so no fighting.  The only debate comes in who is #3 and who is #4.  It usually only comes down to a few kids and those coaches make their arguments with records, hear-to-head, and common opponents.  It only takes a huge amount of time when a coach or two are holding up the process.

OK to dispell any myths about the JCTC and how it is ran. Here is how the seeding goes

1. All Coaches turn in lineups by Thursday @1:00 p.m. along with all seeding information (i.e. head to head records with people in the county, wins against quality competition, and any information the is relavant to seeding)

2. I got through a supply of tournament results and brackets (i.e. King of the Bluegrass, Lonesome Inv, WCI. and results that i have verfied off of web sites like here, KWCA, and Baum's page to find common opponents and to track competition

3. I complie a list of all facts and results and put together a pre meeting seed rating.

4. We meet as a committee and discuss each weight class, some weight classes are deeper than others but we try to spread out in the bracket.

I know there is not a perfect way to seed a tournament but after running the county tournament for 15 years I have come to find out this is the most efficent and effective way for seeding.

Every year the same problems arise with this tournament

+ How do you seed kids that have faced top competition and may have lost a few matches over a kid that has lost only one match but has only wrestled close to home and hasnt face quality opponents.

+ There is always wrestlers that drop down a weight class for this tournament to get ready for regionals and state.

+ Some programs in Jefferson County dont even know where their kids are even going to wrestle.

So the committe process helps solve this process but representing each region and keeping up with what goes on in their respective region

Coaches are selected on this committee by past success, respect of peers, and the number of seeds that are currently on their team.

As you can tell no Unseeded wrestler made the finals.

most of the top 4 seeds finished in the top 4

and like most tournaments, you cant predict injuries, sickness, or a kid that just has all the right answers for the weekend.

As for this year's JCTC, It was the smoothest ran tournament I have seen in a long time. We started early, finished early, had only one bad bout card that caused a problem that was easliy fixed and most important EMS was never called.

Last but not least people should congradulate Mike Thomas of Moore and Josh Tichenor of Iroquios for putting on strong performances at this year's JCTC. Mike has revived a program that only had 4 or 5 wrestlers about 4 years ago and Josh starting a program and in its second year having a few placers including one in the finals. He does this with limited resources and a small budget.

I thought it ran very smooth.

Thanks for the in-depth explanation of the seeding.

But it is interesting that mentioned EMS was never called - I was going to ask about the condition of the wrestler that was taken out on a stretcher Friday night - it looked as though he had a neck and/or head injury