Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

KentuckyWrestling.com HS Rankings - 2006/2007 December 20

Hawkeye - I understand where you are coming from.  I have removed a ton of kids that haven't been wrestling, but have left in the guys that I think will be back and get into competitive form.  Lewis, for example, is never one to be in good shape so the time off the mat shouldn't be a huge difference (until he faces Voth).  But yes, at some point the guys have to drop.  How far is the big question.  When guys split I only have one rule of thumb.  Assuming the wins are comparable, like minors, I like wins in tournaments, especially finals over duals.  That's the format under which they will meet in Frankfort so I give it a little more weight.  After that our information is just too unorganized to use any real criteria.  Sometimes you can use common opponents, but again we usually do not have all of the results.

ranger 123

i was wondering how often you updated your rankings? i think some of these kids go to their regional rankins, which are looking to be pretty much in line.then they go to these state rankings and see kids that have been beat pretty handily by other kids in their own region.i am not going to single out the kids but you can see where it all comes from.i tell our kids to just wrestle and it will all work itself out.the truth is that these rankings have a lot of weight in the seeding meetings,and it makes the kids feel like they are getting some recognition for their hard work.thanks for your patience with these kids and keep up the good work.we do appreciate your rankings

ranger 123

.the truth is that these rankings have a lot of weight in the seeding meetings

I'm not sure what seeding meetings you are attending, but in the 20 years I've been coaching they have not been successfully used.  Most of the time when someone tries to use them they are scoffed.

You are correct in that many kids wait with baited breath to see if they are on the rankings.  And from a spectator view it is great, but from a coaching standpoint I personally don't like my kids ranked and tell my kids to ignore them.

I personally use them to find out what wt. everyone is going and try to determine what tourneys I should try to attend for the competition level that I want.  Ranger does seem to keep more accurate account of what wt. each wrestler is going.

SO no in that case of bank's may be he should still be on top but several athletes dont come back the same as they where prior to the ingery but that is yet to be seen. but as for some of the other kids they have not wrestled WHY ? (grades- quit and came back out or for what ever reasons) and the kids out there busting there buts deserves there time in the lime light as long as it last. as have wrestling all my life i know and so should you that it dosent matter where you ranked  any way the cream allways rises to the top anyway but it doses matter to those kids who may be the only stardom they ever get in a sport they love  as i said ranger dose aout standing job and should be praised by the entire wrestling community