Sign in to follow this  
Notorious

KY needs to close the GAP between other states!

If we took the TOP 10 KY wrestlers in every weight class in middle school and went up against every other states TOP 10 in every weight class how would KY do? Decent? Are wrestlers need schooled in different styles, strategies and match ups! What Programs work during the off season besides the Clubs? Is there programs and open gyms for ANY and EVERYONE who wants to get better? I understand NOTHING is FREE! But it would be nice to have a open gym all summer for wrestlers who want to improve! How can we make this affordable and happen? It would be fantastic if KY wrestlers could get Mat time with the best KY coaches! See different styles and strategy! I know we have CAMPS! Been to MANY! I would prefer a open gym. Were all the great KY coaches Voulenteer a week out of the summer to help! We could have different coaches teach all summer. Just to benifit KY wrestling.    

#UnitedWeStand!

• Upvote 4

The problem isn’t lack of opportunities but a lack of dedication. It may not be free open mats but there are clubs out there that train year round if your willing to drive a little. Most of the top wrestlers I know from Ohio and Indiana will travel to different clubs weekly to wrestle with other top level wrestlers. I know of one ky coach who has free open mats for any wrestlers wanting to get better all off season. He host three days a week and has done so for years.  On a weekly basis there was only 5-6 wrestlers there two of which were his own kids.  It’s no surprise that the wrestlers who religiously showed up through the offseason are currently some of the best in the state The opportunities are out there if your willing to search for them.  The problem is the lack of dedication. 

• Upvote 2

When talking about getting better or closing the gap on other states why is it we seem to focus  on the off season or learning multiple disciplines more than seeking out better competition?  Tulsa Nationals is this weekend.  Here is a list of Iowa youth wrestlers attending.  How many do we have from KY attending?

https://iawrestle.com/2018/01/18/iowans-competing-at-tulsa-nationals/

• Upvote 1

Is this Tournament the same weekend as KY regionals? I get tired of out state kids coming to KY tournaments and winning them. This year I noticed KY  wrestling did better. Are KY  hammers represented the state well. Top of the podium.  But other states did have success at KY tournaments. I would prefer a ALL KY kids won EVERY tournament. But I think we are closing the gap.

21 hours ago, Stall Camp said:

Is this Tournament the same weekend as KY regionals? I get tired of out state kids coming to KY tournaments and winning them. This year I noticed KY  wrestling did better. Are KY  hammers represented the state well. Top of the podium.  But other states did have success at KY tournaments. I would prefer a ALL KY kids won EVERY tournament. But I think we are closing the gap.

Regionals is a middle school thing, right?  Tulsa Nationals is 6u, 8u, 10u, 12u &15u. Not all middle school ages.  

On 1/20/2018 at 1:43 PM, REscalera said:

Regionals is a middle school thing, right?  Tulsa Nationals is 6u, 8u, 10u, 12u &15u. Not all middle school ages.  

Middle school regionals was yesterday. Youth regionals is today.

1 hour ago, GentleBeard said:

Middle school regionals was yesterday. Youth regionals is today.

Ain't that some crap!  Well let's see.  I guess since state will be over with everyone will travel to USA wrestling national championship in Iowa.