Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Region 1 in 2015

I had a good chunk of this written out on my bus ride, but then safari crashed on my iPad because fate realized I was tempting it and it couldn't stand for that. So for those of you new to this, I am basically going to give brief write ups on what each team lost and what they return for next year. The order will be in my predicted finish for next year.

1. Union County
RSP- 4 (1 champ)
RSQ- 8
Biggest Loss- Brock Ervin
Rising Star- Saul Ervin

While theoretically Union is going to have a "rebuilding" year next year after graduating so many state placers. We all have been around the block enough times that Union is merely restocking for another title run. This team is going to be pretty young for awhile; Sheffer, Ervin, Buckman, the Shermans, and the Oxfords still have plenty of years ahead of them and I expect them to share enough state titles between them to make most teams envious. That said losing all-time greats like Brock Ervin and Trae Blackwell won't just go away, I am not sure if they can get a repeat title next year.

2. Christian County

RSP- 1
RSQ- 6
Biggest Loss- Kevi Matlock
Rising Star- Froilan Agulto

While they didn't have the showing at the state tournament they wanted, losing several extremely close matches that could've been huge for them, they still return a solid core led by Caleb Austin. As of right now I think they are set up quite nicely for regionals next year but they don't have anything locked up yet

3. Fort Campbell

RSP- 1
RSQ- 4
Biggest Loss- Ki Ryder
Rising Star- Alex Curl

Imagine how well this team would've done had Davidson and DeWitt wrestled, but we can coulda shoulda any team in the region. Fort Campbell had an incredible state tournament, not quite to their full potential but far better then I believe a few expected. The development of their young core led by Regaldo will be very important going into next year without any title threats like Ryder. If they don't lose that many kids to PCSing and keep injuries to a minimum this team could still be very dangerous next year with at least three very good medal threats.

4. Ohio County

RSP- 1
RSQ- 4

Biggest Loss- Bradley Easterling

Rising Star- Kaleb Sapp x2

Hoptown has an acceptable argument for this spot, but I feel Ohio returns more. If Farris can avoid Myers next year he has a halfway decent at a state title, but I have a feeling both will end up at 220. Ohio's returning qualifiers all hold good shots at the podium next year, they just gotta be able to fill out their lineup next year.

5. Hoptown
RSP- 1
RSQ- 3

Biggest Loss- Isaac Lawson
Rising Star- Cameron Dearmond

Hoptown has shown great strides under just one year with their new coach. They lose a sizable chunk of points but return Nathan Williams and the rest of their team should continue to improve as much as they have. I'd keep an eye on the younger batch of Lawsons, Isaac wasn't much to write home about when he first started out but he eventually reached the point he could've won state.

6. Caldwell County

RSP- 0
RSQ- 1
Biggest Loss- Chris Gilkey
Rising Star- Braden Sperry

Now we're getting into teams whose placement will depend mostly on how the rest of their team develops. Caldwell will be lead by Gray next year, replacing the likes of Gilkey and Agnew is going to be a challenge but they have had so good young wrestlers waiting in the wings.

7. Calloway County

RSP- 0
RSQ- 1
Biggest Loss- Isaiah Frank
Rising Star- Jack Haynes

If Calloway works hard over the summer I could see them finish as high as 5th. Coach Walls is fresh off of getting Calloway it's first ever state placer in Isaiah Frank, Frank serves as proof in that program that if you stick with it and work towards high goals you'll get somewhere.

8. Trigg County
RSP- 0
RSQ- 1
Biggest Loss- Aaron Stevens
Rising Star- Devontae Turner

I told you guys that Stevens would be competing for a title, lost a very close semi's match with Parrott. I am not sure what's the deal with Kline, and his absence puts Trigg down here. Trigg does however have a handful of strong younger guys that should be ready to compete within the next two years or so.

9. Paducah Tilghman
RSP- 1
RSQ- 1
Biggest Loss- Dominic Hephner
Rising Star- Derek Miller

If Paducah could just keep the kids in the room for a couple years they would be a very scary team. As it is I expect Miller to be competing for a state title by his senior year, gotta hope he pushes the other kids in the room to keep up with him.

10. UHA
RSP- 0
RSQ- 2
Biggest Loss- None
Rising Star- Chance Collins

Similar to Paducah UHA needs to keep kids in the room. Collins should be considered a medal threat next year and the likes of Putty and Crabtree will be regional threats.

11. McCracken County
RSP- 1
RSQ- 1
Biggest Loss- Jeremy Hackworth
Rising Star- Eric Gonzalez

McCracken looked promising at times, more promising then usual for a new time. They just need to make sure they don't go the route of Graves County and have all of their really good kids move. I think they will qualify three, maybe four next year

12. Graves County

RSP- 0
RSQ- 0
Biggest Loss- None
Rising Star- Ethan Feezor

Graves has had some bad lucky lately, but this is still a very young program that needs time to develop their wrestlers.

Sign in to follow this