Sign in to follow this  

University of Louisville Wrestling Club

With the addition of the new recreation center at UL and the new room with a mat, myself and another former wrestler have inquired about starting a university wrestling club. The purpose of the club is not so much to participate in tournaments but to have fun, stay in shape, and get back on the mat. Due to the size of the room, the membership must be limited and only those with a current U of L ID would be permitted to join. The idea is maybe 3 meetings a week in the gym, a mix of live wrestling and drilling, and maybe a few in club competitions. As of now we are in the preliminary stages of the creation of the club and must prove to the board there is real interest so all of those who may be interested please contact me at 502-640-3143 so we can get this thing off the ground and get back to wrestling.

• Upvote 1

First unofficial meeting of University of Louisville Wrestling Club this Friday in the SAC. U of L students only and only those of you who have contacted me (5026403143). We will meet at 3 or 4 pm. Text of Call if interested

I'm sorry bro but I have seen other college clubs teams that let anyone come and wrestle ???

Not being a jerk and anything to promote the sport is good but if its strictly for U of L students its great but its not really a great tool for the rest of the state or even your area , you could run a club team for youth jr high many options to help not only te sport but the club you are starting ??? Think outside the box

To use UL's facilities you must be a UL student. The response for this club has been overwhelming, there are tons of guys and girls that want to stay involved as participants in the sport while attending UL.

Restricting the club to students was not our call, it was the administrations. As for where the thread was posted, a majority of the people who get on this site go straight to high school wrestling. This was the best way to reach the most people.

Well once you get the club started and the administration on board, see what the administration says about hosting a large event there that some money could be used to help your club (fundraising activity).....thinking like a American Crown Series event, or a youth or Middle School state tournament, or other large event. 

May help them understand how big wrestling could be there. 

The goal of the program is to first introduce wrestling to the university with practices and maybe some scrimmages. Then after we have shown we can conduct ourselves in a mature manner (no punks coming in wanting to start a fight club) we can turn into a traveling club team and more, but first we need people to show up and we need some support.

Sounds like a solid plan, UC wrestling club had youth practices along with it yrs back more coaches and all around work for everyone it was also great seeing the college guys work with the kids a huge bonus it would be if Uof L gets a team . The young kids looked up to the college guys who helped them tremendously , in the case of a new club you would probably get very good HS kids working with the college guys !!!!

There is a very competitive national organization for college-level club teams - the National Collegiate Wrestling Association, which has over 150 teams and sponsors a national tournament. Many of the clubs there are traditional Division III teams who have lost school funding due to budget cuts. Others are just starting wrestling programs at their schools. I have been working with the MIT club (where I wrestled a long time ago when it was D-III) for the past few years doing some fund-raising and recruiting. If you would like more information about any of this or any help getting your club going, please feel free to contact me.

Mark Myers

Bluegrass Warriors Wrestling Club

bigdaddycoach@gmail.com

University of Louisville Cardinal Wrestling Club
Wanted to give a little more notice for our next practice and agenda. Next meeting (Thursday 9-11pm) in addition to wrestling we will be discussing several topics:
1.) we will definitely be ordering tshirts
2.) we will discuss holiday schedule and see how many people would be interested
3.) we are going to look into putting an actual 10 man lineup together as we are looking at going to some events next semester
Even if Thursday will be your first meeting we still invite you to come out and join us

University of Louisville Cardinal Wrestling Club
Wanted to give a little more notice for our next practice and agenda. Next meeting (Thursday 9-11pm) in addition to wrestling we will be discussing several topics:
1.) we will definitely be ordering tshirts
2.) we will discuss holiday schedule and see how many people would be interested
3.) we are going to look into putting an actual 10 man lineup together as we are looking at going to some events next semester
Even if Thursday will be your first meeting we still invite you to come out and join us

I know a few kids that would like one of the shirts if possible.

Sign in to follow this