Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

The long awaited Region 1 Preseason Rankings (10/26/13)

As proof to the adage that if you beg for something enough times eventually you will get it, my recently retired from competitive wrestling self has gotten down to actually finishing up what could be considered rankings if you kinda squint at them. I live by the motto that in high school wrestling in Kentucky you can't know anything until the season actually starts. But sadly my family chose to live in Kentucky instead of a state like Ohio where making rankings is easier in the sense of getting information and such.

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union County

2. Luie Regaldo, Fort Campbell

3. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio County

4. Devontae Turner, Trigg County

5. Kendarius Major, Christian County

6. Sam Sisco, Graves County

Sheffer wins this weight easy, but this weight is important in the team race. Regaldo needs to do well here to help Fort Campbell in the tight competition for second.

1. Chance Oxford, Union County

2. Anthony DeWitt, Fort Campbell

3. Boyce Nichols, Caldwell County

4. Zenon Rodriguez, Paducah Tilghman

5. Seth Tichenor, Ohio County

6. Ethan Feezor, Graves County

Another member of Union County's stable of great young lightweights. From the hype he is bringing in one would expect Oxford to be unchallenged in the region. The only wrestler standing in his way is long time veteran of the weight class Anthony DeWitt who looks to return to state following two disappointing years.

1. Robbie Dezember, Union County

2. Caleb Austin, Christian County

3. Jeremiah Kline, Trigg County

4. Wes Gray, Caldwell County

5. Scott Ruttman, Calloway County

6. Daniel Dyess, UHA

The first true monster of a weight class going into next season. If these top three all end up at the same weight then we will be in for some battles. All three all at least outside shots at the state title and Wes Gray is a very talented wrestler, far more talented then his position in these rankings show.

1. Trae Blackwell, Union County

2. Connor Jaschen, Hoptown

3. Derek Miller, Paducah Tilghman

4. Camerin Cole, Christian County

5. Chance Collins, UHA

6. Braden Sperry, Caldwell County

Future Sooner Trae Blackwell is highly favored to win here as he seeks his... 3rd? state title. Second should be a good battle between the final three members of the weight, and Cole's finish holds major implications for the team race.

1. Brock Ervin, Union County

2. B.J. Miller, Ohio County

3. Chandler Martin, Paducah Tilghman

4. Dalton Putty, UHA

5. Nicholas Walls, Calloway County

6. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell

Personally I think Brock looks huge, he is at 132 right now but it wouldn't surprise me to see him up at 138. He is currently projected to wrestle at 141 in college, but we will see. Brock should be untouched as he seeks his unprecedented 5th state title, but B.J. Miller and Chandler Martin will hold some interesting matches between them.

1. Chris Gilkey, Caldwell County

2. Kevi Matlock, Christian County

3. Brian Hedrick, Fort Campbell

4. Jackson Oxford, Union County

5. Isaiah Frank, Calloway County

6. Ryan Bunch, Ohio County

This weight is absolutely stacked. It's one of those weights that could finish in truly any order. Because of this, this weight is going to be absolutely crucial in the team race. All the competitors for second have dogs in this race. Jackson Oxford is another wrestler coming in with a lot of hype, could be anywhere from 132 to 145 though.

1. Chad Gahafer, Union County

2. Ryan Gallogly, Trigg County

3. Tre Sells, Christian County

4. Allen Dickinson, Calloway County

5. Jose Gaspar, Ohio County

6. Austin Binkley, Fort Campbell

Compared to the insanity that is 138 this weight class is a tad bit thinner. I struggled a bit to find some guys to fill up the last couple spots. Gahafer is the easy favorite here but it would be interesting to see if any refugees from 138 come here.

1. Kenny Sells, Christian County

2. Robert Bussell, Hoptown

3. Nighgell Davidson, Fort Campbell

4. Will Crabtree, UHA

5. Max Nelson, Union County

6. Andrew Walls, Caldwell County

This weight is very top heavy. The first three are probably going to end up in a situation where they all have wins against each other. Another weight that holds a major factor in the  team race between Fort Campbell, Christian County, and company

1. Keegan Agnew, Caldwell County

2. Kane Morris, Union County

3. Xavier Pate, Christian County

4. Nathan Williams, Hoptown

5. Joe Sisco, Graves County

6. Bryson Elliot, Calloway County

Another tough weight assuming all these kids end up here. the likes of Agnew, Morris, and Sisco could easily be a weight lower or higher.

1. Ki Ryder, Fort Campbell

2. Clay Revlett, Caldwell County

3. Chase Copland, Graves County

4. Ben Redfield, Paducah Tilghman

5. Jacob Harris, Christian County

6. Tyler Williams, UHA

I don't see this being the final weight for a couple kids, but until anything changes Ryder is the favorite to win the region here and holds an outside shot at the state title.

1. Devin Smith, Union County

2. Joe Freeland, Christian County

3. Gino Haywood, Fort Campbell

4. Phil Bradley, UHA

5. Mario Miles, Hoptown

6. Tyler Wilson, Calloway County

I'm sorry big guys, I just get bored once I reach you. I wouldn't have watched the NCAA finals at heavyweight if they hadn't stuck it in the middle

1. Cole Sherman, Union County

2. Stevie Mason, Christian County

3. Bradley Easterling, Ohio County

4. ????

5. ????

6. ????

This is of course proof that the new weights hurt wrestling. But there is nothing you and I can do about that except sit around and be grumpy.

1. Aaron Stevens, Trigg County

2. Bryan Carter, Union County

3. Zach Farris, Ohio County

4. Tevin Toler, Christian County

5. Eugene Butler, Hoptown

6. AJ Ogburn, Fort Campbell

This should be an interesting weight class, a lot of good match ups and big implications for the team race

1. Raynel Brown, Union County

2. Jake Jorstad, Fort Campbell

3. Dominic Hephner, Paducah Tilghman

4. Andrew Lee, Calloway County

5. Luke Shaffer, Ohio County

6. Kyler Kendall, Caldwell County

I personally feel that Shaffer is more likely to challenge for first then to finish 5th. But as I always say high school heavyweight is a battle of who lands on top first.

Team

1. Union County

If you're predicted to easily have 9/14 Regional Titles you must be doing something right. If their young guns can turn it on at state Union County will be my favorite to win the State title.

2. Christian County

I expect the race for second to be even closer then it was last year. As of these rankings I believe Christian County holds a slight edge based off of their always good heavy weights. If their lighter guys live up to their potential this is a very dangerous team come state.

3. Fort Campbell

Struggling as always with students departing and arriving from year to year. Fort Campbell has lost a couple or so wrestlers leaving holes to fill in the starting lineup. If those are taken care of and Fort Campbell breaks its postseason curse then this is a team that could finish in the top 10 at state.

4. Caldwell County

Led by their excellent duo of Chris Gilkey and Keegan Agnew, if the rest of the team wrestles their A game then Caldwell can have their eye set on the second place spot in the region.

5. Ohio County

In a little bit of a rebuilding phase after graduating a lot of talent the past couple years. It is now on the shoulders of the next generation of crazy strong farm boys to lead the team against some stiff competition. If all the pieces fall into place, Ohio has a very good shot at finishing strong in the postseason, which they have a history of doing.

I was really hoping for weight corrections but this is the time of year when everyone is keeping their potential line ups a closely guarded secret. In other news, if you're a college wrestling fan, my friend Christian Pyles just posted his rankings on to Flo. He is one of the greatest wrestling minds I know and a man who I greatly respect for his opinion.

Sign in to follow this