Sign in to follow this  
dutch

Team ky middle school

Wanted to say congratulations to all the kids that made the team. Most of the boys have been working their tails off 4 days a week in preparation for the trip to Danville for the middle school national duels. I can say that it's amazing to see all the talent in the room at each practice. Every year ky wrestling is getting better. Good job guys. I also wanted to thank all the parents for making the long drive so these kids can continue to get better.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of the team...

Following is Team KY Blue

75 Tylan Tucker (Woodford Co)

80 Blake Roth (Waton Verona)

85 Tanner Yenter (Campbell Co)

90 Brady Wells (Campbell Co)

95 Ryan Moore (Campbell Co)

102 Bryce Sheffer (Union Co)

110 Trent Johnson (John Hardin)

117 Dallas Miles (River City)

125 Bryan Holden (Campbell Co)

132 Jared Branch (Fern Creek)

140 Max Andreoni (Woodford Co)

150 Casey Cornett (Turkeyfoot)

160 Seth Hille (Holmes)

175 Garrett Lawrence (River City)

195 Chance Orr (Paducah Tilghman)

220 Ben Fooks (Boubon Co)

275 Coltyn Keairns (Conner)

We are finalizing a couple of spots on Team KY Red and the alternates. I will try to post those tomorrow night.

Last years team was one of, if not the best we have sent. Hopefully these boys can live up to that team.

Good luck to you all! Team KY Coaches put in a lot of time helping these kids. You all make it fun for them. This is a time they will never forget!

This is my 2nd year of being a part of team ky. As a coach I can say it has been an honor to work with all these boys. It has been a pleasure to get to know the kids and all of the parents. I would like to thank all the parents for the time the devote to get these kids to the next level. The reality is that we only have a short time. Before we know it they will be all grown up. Not to mention girlfriends one day. Lol. Thanks again

• Upvote 1

Team KY Red

75 Zach Holub (Turkeyfoot)
80 Clay Fitzhugh (River City)
85 Jordan Hahn (Campbell Co)
90 Brock Whorton (John Hardin)
95 Zane Brown (Shamrock)
102 Mason Smith (Walton Verona)
110 Collin Barrett (Campbell Co)
117 Noah Hammond (Walton Verona)
125 Ryan Woodward (Walton Verona)
132 Diion Leavell (Christian Co)
140 Kadin Kulmer (Shamrock)
150 Trequan Taylor (Christian Co)
160 Chance Lanham (Shamrock)
175 Heath Luttrell (Union Co)
195 ???
220 Corban Couch (Madison Co)
275 Brendan Sullivan (River City)

Alternate 75 Tom Ketchen-Carter (Campbell Co)

Alternate 75 Shay Horton (Ryle)

Alternate 85 Nate Wheeler (East Oldham)

Alternate 102 Austin Cook (Rivery City)

Still need a 195.  Any thoughts let me know asap.

Looks like a really solid squad. Will be interested to see how Sheffer does as an 8th grader.

Definitely some solid experience.  7 of the first 8 weight classes were in this event last year and return for some redemption.  The middle is strong as well with multiple kids who can compete on the high school level for us.  The bigs are a litte inexperienced, but hopefully the team can come together and pump them up for some big matches.  The competition will be as good as ever; maybe better wtih the return of Team Jordan and a few others.  It will be a blast.  I can't wait.

Coltyn will definently anchor down ur upper weights. He has been attending these kind of tournaments all year and only has one loss. It will be interesting to see if more than two kids can all American from 102 down. I've gone out to Danville four times and only once has there been two from 102 down that AA and that was Brock and Logan wedding. The middle weights have always done well out there. I hope this team can make it to the Gold round, it just all depends on if they got Indiana Gold, IKWF Gold, Team Jordan, or All Ohio in their pool.

And I've seen Team Jordan lose out there to Indiana Gold and Micha Jordan get crushed by Tommy Cash in their match. I wish this was on ihigh or something. Even still I might try and make it out. I got family about two hours west.

Every year I went out there Kentucky got stuck with Indiana Gold. One year Indian Gold won every single match against us and we had, Blackwell, Fausz, Shirkey, Brock, Logan W. , Lane Jones, J. Carr, J Lampe, etc... Thankfully Kevin Cooper decieded enough was enough and Tech falled giving team Kentucky its only win lol That is one outstanding team. I know its hard to project esepcially since you have an invested interest in a lot of kids there, but how many you think you will AA? Specifically in the lower weights? My guess is you should have between 4-5 so I say Kearns, Sheffer, Cornett, and Androni.

I was with KY red last yr and we were in the same boat. Dylan west saved us from the shutout against IN Gold.

Maybe I am a little biased, but I am hopeful a couple of our lightweights step up to the competition and go 6-1 or 5-2. Can't forget about KY red either. Last yr that second team had 3 kids hammering opponents. West (7-0), Spahr (6-1), and Emerson (6-1) were awesome.

Ben has been a pleasure to work with. I have been thinking about him for the last couple days. Every time I touch my swollen right ear. Lol. He is a big kid. I think I need to invest in some head gear. I think I am a little old for cauliflower ear.

Can I respectfully ask a question? And I say respectfully because I really enjoyed talking to this kids father at High School Regions for sometime, so I mean no disrespect, this is just geared to Jason, and John, or anyone who has any insight.

How does a kid who finished second in his district, and went 1-2 at Region represent KY at nationals? I know it must be a WV thing since their coaches are part of the staff- but how is that right for the kids who even qualified to state and maybe even placed do not get to represent their state? And what about the kid who pinned him in 30 sec. at districts then goes on to win the Regions not even get a call or reach out to his coach to see if he would come to practice? If were going to just start filling a second team then lets call them Kentucky Stallions or something, not Team Kentucky Red.

I know this isnt the first time this has happened before. It is just baffling.

Fair question. It comes down to 2 things. First is signing up. The kids with "rights" to claim a spot need to sign up and express interest. With essentially a month to pull it all together we have to push a chunk of the responsibility on the kids, parents, and coaches to inform us. We've been using this process for a few years where kids sign up at state. I had a number of coaches and kids ask me about it there. But issues always arise in the lineup, especially with 2 teams. Kids can't make weight or get hurt or just decide not to go. We had all those come up this year. Which leads me to my second thing. Showing up. A number of coaches and kids who didn't "qualify" asked if they could work out with us and they did, not expecting to have spots. And when those openings occur at the 11th hr those are the kids that often get offered the spots. Or the coaches simply talk amongst ourselves about who we know that could fill a spot. Literally 7 or 8 spots in the Red lineup were just set in the last week or so. Heck one just hrs ago.

I agree the process could be better. But when we are scrambling to organize practices and get gear ordered and make travel arrangements going down the list and calling a bunch of coaches is just not an option. And opening it up to the universe would require some level of wrestle-off that we have to set up and manage as well. Again making up the Red lineup is far from perfect, but in my opinion getting more KY boys on the mat in Danville is better than not doing it.

Cougar I know you weren't pointing any fingers but I just wanted to clarify. The WV kids added were actually suggested by me not Roth or Cornett (although the time and effort those guys have put into team ky the last 2 yrs should earn them some consideration). So blame me for any oversights on those spots.

One last thought. That is an inherent advantage of coaching these teams. When openings pop up (without a "qualified" replacement) coaches will often look to their kids first to fill the spots. We can easily call that parent immediately and get a response. Not perfect but efficient and a perk for volunteering their time and energy.

Not to inflate his ego too much, but speaking of Coach Cornett's effort...

I received a great email from Landon Young's father after an awesome runner up finish for the freshman at state. He gave a great deal of credit to his preparing for and wrestling in this event(ms national duals). Mr Young brought a group of kids from Lexington to Campbell County every night we would open the wrestling room. And Coach Cornett spent many hrs wrestling with Landon and graziani and mueller and did a lot to help those boys get better.

Thanks for the intelligent response Ranger.

I'm wanted to make sure that you and the WV coaches helping out know that was not a dig at all. I for one, appreciate all that you do for the Middle School organization, and I've publically said that on here more than once. I also understand the time crunch here as well, I can only imagine calling all the parents and organizing the event on top of everything else you have going on in your personal and professional life.

I guess my issue comes to play with communication to the masses and not just a select few from a few schools who help out. It’s kind of like the rich getting richer and poor getting poorer because at the end of the day you always have these kids in your back pocket. On top of that your personal relationships with parents and the political game it plays always have an effect.

Ranger, I would never blame you for anything, because I understand your intentions on the matter. I guess I'm personally still a little salty by the whole team KY thing. I won’t get into any specific details on the forum but I have tried on several occasions to volunteer my time when I had several kids on the team and was told, "...not wanted and not needed". I have also made suggestions for kids to participate and was told very sternly that, "...only middle school champs and top 4 placers can go".

Well I understand that and I had a kid place 5th at state and all I wanted him to do was practice and be given a chance. He wasn't and instead Team KY needed a wrestler to fill in about two weeks before the event and did my kid get the call? Did I get a call? No River City went ahead and added one of their own who wasn't even a state placer, and didn't win a match at state! That kind of just set me off, when I asked why we didn't get a call my response was, "...it was a coach’s decision". Yeah no shit it was a coach’s decision, I'm not an idiot. All of us coaches build bonds with these young men and want to be by their side in battle, and as we all know, once you've been in the chair for a kid for many years it kills you to sit in the stands and let other coaches coach them. I lose every time one of my kids lose, I take it to heart just as they would. I would rather do that in their corner than in the stands.

I'm ranting I know, but its always easier when you’re on the outside looking in than it is the other way around. My time with middle school is probably done for the time being anyways as I have a little one on the way. So all my points are pretty irrelevant, I just noticed something and wanted to know what changed from three years ago to now.

Not irrelevant at all. I don't know that much has changed. But I do know that I have welcomed many kids to our workouts. Even from "the enemy"; ask mlee. We can always improve our process. Especially as we plan to take 2 teams. Please send me an email with any ideas you have.

As for coaching, that is a tough call. The team is allowed 4 coaches. The head coach often wants someone from his staff as they have worked together and likely share a similar style or at least complimenting styles. As I mentioned above Coach Roth and Coach Cornett have spent a lot of time in the room with many of these kids. Coach Quirino and Coach Rader have done similarly in Louisville. This year along with their first ms state champ Holmes has helped out with Coach Cooper and Jones rolling at a number of our workouts.

For anyone who didn't participate with Team KY (and those who did), there are other opportunities to go to national tournaments with a team of Kentucky guys. Our club begins after Team KY gets back from National Duals and practices on Saturday mornings until mid-July in the Louisville area. We have traveled with teams of 20+ kids to both the Ohio Tournament of Champions and the Midwest Nationals (which we won) in each of the past two years, and it looks like this year's squad will be even stronger. Our team is open to everyone who wants to train with us. If you are interested or if you would like more information, send me an e-mail.

Mark Myers

Bluegrass Warriors Wrestling Club

bigdaddycoach@gmail.com

My son wrestled on Team Ky last year also. He was not a placer at MS State. He tried out when there was an open spot. There is a lot of travel for parents who do not live in the general vicinity of the practices. Like Mr. Young from Lafayette we drove over an hour each way to the practices, but I it was so worth it. These coaches who donate their time are wonderful. My son learned so much from them. My son had a very successful Season this year and I know what he learned from Team Ky coaches played a large part in that. Good luck Team Ky, make us proud at Nationals!