Sign in to follow this  
sbfraz

Stalling in youth wrestling

During youth football season holding is called. Not like it is called in the NFL, the NCAA, or even the KHSAA. In youth basketball walking is called. Not like it is in the NBA, the NCAA, or even the KHSAA. Why can't we do the same in youth wrestling in regards to stalling? We teach our kids to attack and move at all times. If they are stalling I want it to be called on them. On the other hand, if my kids are wrestling being aggressive and their opponent is laying there I want the stalling call. Even young inexperienced wrestlers should have it called against them. How else are they suppose to learn? We wrestle mainly in WV during the season and if your kid stalls the referee will call it, not sure why we are hesitant to call it here in Kentucky. I haven't witnessed any negative side effects from youths being called for stalling. Stalling is a part of this sport and we need to condition our kids to know when they stop moving, stop working there are negative consequences. Thank.

During youth football season holding is called. Not like it is called in the NFL, the NCAA, or even the KHSAA. In youth basketball walking is called. Not like it is in the NBA, the NCAA, or even the KHSAA. Why can't we do the same in youth wrestling in regards to stalling? We teach our kids to attack and move at all times. If they are stalling I want it to be called on them. On the other hand, if my kids are wrestling being aggressive and their opponent is laying there I want the stalling call. Even young inexperienced wrestlers should have it called against them. How else are they suppose to learn? We wrestle mainly in WV during the season and if your kid stalls the referee will call it, not sure why we are hesitant to call it here in Kentucky. I haven't witnessed any negative side effects from youths being called for stalling. Stalling is a part of this sport and we need to condition our kids to know when they stop moving, stop working there are negative consequences. Thank.

I completely agree. I really don't understand why we operate by a different set of rules than the rest of the country. And I'd like to see those "rules" so that I know what is legal/illegal in KY youth wrestling.

I completely agree. I really don't understand why we operate by a different set of rules than the rest of the country. And I'd like to see those "rules" so that I know what is legal/illegal in KY youth wrestling.

Thankfully, we've recently received a copy of the original youth bylaws, which includes the rules:

"KSYWA shall follow the same rules as set forth by the KHSAA with the following exceptions.

1. All periods shall be 1minute, 1,1,1

2. Overtime will be 30" sudden death periods up to 3 periods until conclusion

of match. Neutral, up/down decisions by wrestler shall be in accordance

with a normal match with the first points scored getting first choice.

3. There will be no disqualification for illegal holds and the penalty points will be as follows:

First occurrence a warning only and the referee should explain to the wrestler what they did wrong. Second thru infinity 1 point for each additional occurrence."

According to the bylaws, the refs should be calling stalling!  We'll be sure to address it at the Spring meeting. 

Thankfully, we've recently received a copy of the original youth bylaws, which includes the rules:

"KSYWA shall follow the same rules as set forth by the KHSAA with the following exceptions.

1. All periods shall be 1minute, 1,1,1

2. Overtime will be 30" sudden death periods up to 3 periods until conclusion

of match. Neutral, up/down decisions by wrestler shall be in accordance

with a normal match with the first points scored getting first choice.

3. There will be no disqualification for illegal holds and the penalty points will be as follows:

First occurrence a warning only and the referee should explain to the wrestler what they did wrong. Second thru infinity 1 point for each additional occurrence."

According to the bylaws, the refs should be calling stalling! We'll be sure to address it at the Spring meeting.

Thanks! If we are all on the page, it can only make things better.

Are the bylaws posted somewhere that all can see?