Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Region 1 at the State Tournament

To my knowledge the random draw has not yet been determined so I will be going into this without brackets. But I am gonna to do short write ups for each team concerning their chances at state

1. Union County

Qualified- 14 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- 10

Potential Champs- 3

Key Weight- 138

Union qualifies their entire team as a good start for their attempt to topple Campbell County and win a state title. They have likely state placers at every weight except for 160, 170, 195, and 220. Even then those wrestlers have more then enough talent to score some points at the tourny. Union's big 3 of Ervin, Blackwell, and Carr should each win state titles and have a fairly easy run to the finals. Jayce has to be on the look out for the ever tough Paul Hamilton in a key matchup for the state title run.

2. Fort Campbell

Qualified- 5 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- 4

Potential Champs- 0 (but 2 potential finalists)

Key Weight- 138

While not having the regional tournament I expected them to, Fort Campbell was able to come through at the end and finish second. They qualify all but two members of their core group and all but their 220 (who is talented but only a first year wrestler) could place if they wrestle their A game. Haywood is one of those wrestlers who are either all in or all out and two years pulled off some exciting wins at the state tourny. Sahms is a returning placer and has the potential to reach the state finals depending on his draw. Ryder has some impressive results (Mink for example) and is definately one to watch

3. Christian County

Qualified- 8 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- 3

Potential Champs- 1

Key Weight- 145

You couldn't ask more of Christian County's wrestlers at the regional tourny today. They pulled off almost every win they needed to and came just short of a second place finish. They send a very sizable contigent led by Polley, Austin, and Matlock. All 3 of these wrestlers could find themselves in the finals depending on their draw with Polley having by far the best chance of a state title out of the group. Polley's lack of wrestling throughout the season seems to be hurting him alittle bit but he is still a hell of a wrestler and I want to see him win the title.

4. Ohio County

Qualified- 6 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- 1

Potential Champs- 0

Key Weight- 220

I could definately be shorting Ohio's chances at the state tournament here but they strike me as having a group of wrestlers who are very good but not quite great. However, I have been wrong before and Ohio holds an impressive record of turning it on when needed (evidenced by Miller's run to the regional finals today). Kyle Bunch is the leader of this group and currently holds the best shot of placing out of the group.

5. Apollo

Qualified- 3 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- 1

Potential Champs- 1

Key Weight- 106

Apollo's regional tournament was very bittersweet. It seemed as soon one of their wrestlers would pull off a big win another win would choke away a good spot. Ward is the biggest name out of the group and in his second trip to state should have all of the jitters out of the way and be ready for a run at a state title. Williams and Duvall both can win a couple matches but I am a little skeptical of their placing chances. In all honesty though I considered DeWitt having a decent chance at placing so I won't be surprised if Williams slips into the top 8.

6. Paducah Tilghman

Qualified- 5 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- 0

Potential Champs- 0

Key Weight- 120

Paducah qualified just about every wrestler they could've, surprising me with some of their results. The only returning state qualifier on the team is Derek Miller thus he will be the tone setter for the team as a whole. They are about a year away from having a wrestler place at state but they still have a chance of turning in a good result at this years tournament.

7. Caldwell County

Qualified- 3 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- 3

Potential Champs- 1

Key Weight- 132

Agnew and Gilkey are both big names in the state. Gilkey has been on a tear as of late and is eyeing a top 3 spot at state, while I expect Agnew to finish in the top 5 but finds himself at the same weight as Kevin Cooper which is a pretty decent hinderance towards their title hopes. Gray finished 4th in an extremely tough region and if he gets a decent draw he could easily finish in the top 8.

8. Hopkinsville

Qualified- 3 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- 1

Potential Champs- 1

Key Weight- 106

Thacker made me look like a fool in my skepticism of his chances as he looked great en route to a region title. With such momentum coming out of a super tough region he has placed himself perfectly for a run at the state title. Jaschen is a very good wrestler and could definately turn in some decent results at state. Hoptown kids always seem to turn out impressive runs at the state tourny out of nowhere.

9. Trigg County

Qualified- 3 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- 2

Potential Champs- 1

Key Weight- 195

Kline and Stevens like Gilkey and Agnew are both good wrestlers with impressive resumes. Stevens has a very outside shot at state but the shot is there regardless. Gallogly once again finds himself at state but I am not making any comments regarding how he got there. He has state experiance and Trigg is relying on him to turn in a couple wins.

10. UHA

Qualified- 1 Wrestler

Potential Placers- 1

Potential Champs- 0

Key Weight- 160 of course

A very dissappointing end for an excellent career in regards to Wade Willen. You couldn't ask for a more consistent wrestler then Wade he turned in impressive results match after match and never failed to bring his A game. I expect huge things from him as he starts his college career. UHA does send Montgomery to state who is as talented as they come and is eyeing a top 3 spot at the state tourny.

11. Calloway County

Qualified- 3 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- 0

Potential Champs- 0

Key Weight- 138

Calloway sends a couple kids but their main goal should be gaining experiance for next year. Frank is talented enough to win a match or two and qualifying for the state tournament puts him well on the way towards a good run next year.

12. Daviess County

Qualified- 1 Wrestler

Potential Placers- 0

Potential Champs- 0

Key Weight- 170

It is hard to have a good year when so many of your best wrestlers get hurt throughout the year. A disappointing finish for Daviess for sure but they just have to look towards rebuilding for the future at this rate.

13. Graves County

Qualified- 1 Wrestler

Potential Placers- 0

Potential Champs- 0

Key Weight- 170

Graves is still a brand new team and not having the rare talent like Shane Speed will have its mark. A few more things go there way and Graves could've done a lot better at regionals, but they are set pretty well for next year regardless

14. Owensboro

Qualified- 0 Wrestlers

Potential Placers- N/A

Potential Champs- N/A

Key Weight- N/A

I will hand it to Owensboro they had a region placer when I thought that even that was out of their reach. We will see how they look a few years down the line

Good luck Region 1, show those Region 6 snobs how Southwestern Kentucky does it!

Polley's match in the finals was probably the best match of the day. I don't think he envisioned being stuck in a cradle and almost losing just before time expired in the 3rd.

FCHS/JCU125, excellent run down on your region with great insight. i would like to point out that region 6 people are not snobs, at least not the majority of us. i assume you make that point because of region 6 people claiming to have the toughest region. if that is your point then you really cant deny the facts of where the majority of state placers will come from. i personally have great respect for region 1 as a whole and i think they benefit from their close proximity to illinois, indiana and missouri just as region 6 benefits from ohio and the louisville regions benefit from indiana. i think the only difference is population , louisville is split in half so they dont get the same benefit that region 6 has of keeping all the talented population in one region. trust me, there are many good wrestlers in region 6 that would love to split it in half as they were sent home yesterday and could of easily made it out of some of the other different regions. i think stud for stud however, that can be found anywhere in the state and will differ each year. region 6 does not have a lock on this as it typically turns out to be a God given talent mixed with hard work and a decent coach. i by no means think kevin cooper and stephen meyers are any levels ahead of brock ervin. i personally couldnt tell you who is the best but if i was forced to use my same statistics i used in saying region 6 will have the most placers then i would say brock will graduate with the best resume. he has handidly beat garth yenter and sean fausz to win his state titles and i have the highest respect for those 2. kevin and stephen have had people running from them with good reason so they have not had the challenge that brock has had. so dont think we are snobs as i think the majority of region 6 fans are not , but we are realist and will give credit where credit is due.