Sign in to follow this  
Mathound

Wrestler wins 2006 ESPY Award

Anthony Robles nominated for 2006 ESPY award for "Best Male Athlete with a Disability"

John Fuller Full Athlete Marketing

06/27/2006

http://www.themat.com/index.php?page=showarticle&ArticleID=14789

High school national champion wrestler Anthony Robles of Mesa, Ariz. has been nominated for a 2006 ESPY Award for "Best Male Athlete With A Disability." Robles' nomination marks the sixth consecutive year that a wrestler has been nominated for an ESPY (Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly) Award.

Nominees are selected by a panel of ESPN staff and esteemed journalists.

"This is an incredible honor," Robles said of his nomination. "Not only have so many great wrestlers been nominated for these awards before, but so many great athletes are nominated every year. The ESPY Awards are for the best of the best, and for them to include me in that category with athletes that I see as an inspiration is just an amazing feeling for me."

"So many people have helped me to be successful in all areas of my life, including in wrestling. My family, friends, coaches and teammates have all been supportive of me and my career and without them by my side every day, this nomination may not have been possible," Robles added.

Also nominated in the "Best Male Athlete With A Disability" category are high school football player Bobby Martin, who was born with a condition called "congenital amputation" which left him with no legs and nordic skier Steve Cook, who won three medals at the 2006 Paralympic Winter Games.

Last year, a record three wrestlers were nominated for ESPY Awards. Cael Sanderson was nominated for "Best Male Olympic Performance," Rulon Gardner was nominated for "Best Comeback" and Steve Mocco was nominated for "Best Male College Athlete."

Born with just one leg, 17 year-old Robles capped off an amazing career on March 26 by winning the National High School Coaches Association (NHSCA) national title at 112 lbs. with a 9-1 victory in the finals in Pittsburgh, Pa. The NHSCA invites only seniors in high school who won state titles to its national meet. Robles became the first disabled wrestler to win a title at the NHSCA national championships.

Read the rest of the story here:

http://www.themat.com/index.php?page=showarticle&ArticleID=14789