Sign in to follow this  
kdsmith27

Great news, New Interpretation. "off season" Bylaw 25 Amendment

Great news, New Interpretation. "off season" Bylaw 25 Amendment

Coaches,

This is a new interpretation from the KHSAA on individual sports for sporting out of season.  I would like you to send a comment to the Head Commissioner for getting this done and anyone else that was involves.  Please read below. Thanks.

Coach Carr Sr.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 4:01 PM

Subject: Bylaw 25 Interpretation

Coaches: As you may or not be aware, there has been an updated Rules Interpretation with regard to coaching players on your team while school is in session ...but prior to the first official practice date.  This was published in the August, 2009 issue of the Commissioner's Notes.  With most all schools now in session ....and the mandatory KHSAA Rules Clinics for all head coaches this year will announce the rule will not start until FEB., I wanted to make you aware of the new interpretation.  It is, as follows ....

REVISED INTERPRETATION CONCERNING BYLAW 25 ISSUED FOR INDIVIDUAL SPORTS (GOLF, CROSS COUNTRY, SWIMMING, WRESTLING, TENNIS, TRACK AND FIELD)

Bylaw 25, the Limitation of Seasons, clearly defines what is legal during the school year and in some cases, after the school year is complete. The details of what is allowed in the off-season (i.e. in the fall before practice starts in winter or spring sports, in the spring after the end of fall sports, etc.) have been spelled out by interpretation in the Case Situations and are a result of interpretation by the Commissioner.

In consultation with the Board of Control, and following lengthy discussions with staff and representatives of member schools, revisions are being made as to what is allowed by coaches in individual sports during the non-Bylaw 25 periods. A thorough review of possible ramifications has been done by staff and the Board. Member school personnel have expressed concern in these sports as it relates to getting qualified coaches for the high school team due to regulations that restricted those who were involved in outside competition and play (including instruction and lessons) in these sports. These interpretations supersede all previously published interpretations and are in effect as of July 15, 2009. These interpretations DO NOT AFFECT the team sports of volleyball, soccer, football, basketball, baseball or fast pitch softball. School representatives must be very mindful of the provisions in Case Situation BL-25-7 (formerly BL-25-6) to be sure violations do not occur.

Case BL-25-6 (NEW) What are the restrictions for a coach being involved in coaching of his/her own players during the school year before the first legal practice date, after the last date for playing a contest in the sports of Cross Country, Golf, Swimming, Wrestling, Tennis and Track?

Specific practice and participation dates are in place for each sport, and the interpretative season is the academic school year as far as coaching limitations. This limit on coaching involvement BEGINS ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL AND ends on the earlier of the day following the last day of school or May 31. However, it is recognized that the very nature of the individual sports (i.e. Cross Country, Golf, Swimming, Wrestling, Tennis and Track and Field) is such that participation by individuals may continue during the year and have minimal impact on participation in other sports. Coaching is defined as any activity by the coach at any time the athletes are participating in that coaches sport in a setting in which skills are taught, refined, or practiced. In the individual sports as detailed above, coaching is permitted in the non-season period provided the following provisions are met:

1) Participation may not be required of any student-athlete in any sport specific event outside the limitation of seasons during the school year. There may be no penalties assessed, expressed or implied for non-participation during that period by a student-athlete.;

2) School funds may not be expended (i.e. transportation provided, entry fees paid, uniforms worn, etc.);

3) Coaches must ensure that all representatives of the student-athletes, including parents, are aware that this outside season participation is optional and therefore, the KHSAA Catastrophic Insurance plan is not in effect.

4) All other restrictions related to the scheduling, composition, pool of available personnel, and other logistical arrangements are the jurisdiction of the building Principal for any activity held at a particular local school facility, in compliance with Bylaw 1 of the Association.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Butch Cope

Assistant Commissioner

Kentucky High School Athletic Association

(859)299-5472-p

(859)293-5999-f

-----Original Message-----

From: Kentucky Wrestling Coaches [KYWR@LSV.UKY.EDU] On Behalf Of Keith Smith

Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2007 5:16 PM To: (KYWR@LSV.UKY.EDU)

Subject: Fw: Rules regarding coaching in the "off season" Bylaw 25 Amendment

KY Coaches,

My name is Keith Smith. I am currently the wrestling coach at North Hardin High School, and the Kentucky USA Wrestling Chairman. My reason for contacting you is because I would like to get KHSAA Bylaw 25 amended to better fit our athlete's needs with (out of season) coaches' participation in wrestling programs / clubs throughout the state. Coaches that I've spoken with all agree if our athletes are to be competitive on a national level, then our coaches need to be able to coach. It's not like we have a second tier of coaches across the state to take over in the "spring season".

Open attachment to continue.

At Your Service,

Keith D Smith

North Hardin HS Wrestling Coach

Kentucky USA Wrestling Chairman

(270) 351-0515

Keith.Smith@Hardin.kyschools.us

http://eteamz.com/nhhswrestling/

http://kymat.org/

"Leadership is an action; not a Position"

"PRACTICE IS"... The Effort That Makes Winning Possible!

'Working Our Way To The Top"