Sign in to follow this  
chapper88

should DII champs qualify for DI nationals?

i was just searching the web and came across a news article http://www.examiner.com/x-7334-College-Wrestling-Examiner~y2009m4d28-AllAmerican-wrestler-Porter-joins-former-mat-champ-Neal-on-Patriots and saw that this guy carlton haselrig in the 80's was a 6 time ncaa national champ. i read on and it said that dII champs come wrestle the DI nationals and wondered if the ncaa's should bring that back.

If i had any say in the matter i would vote yes just because it would declare an overall champ. i would also throw in the DIII champ or make him wrestle the DII to qualify for the DI like a ladder. But i think that the DI title should just be an undisputed NCAA title instead.

The DI tournament used to allow DII, DIII, and NAIA champs come to the DI tournament.

They stopped doing this in the early 90's. I've read elsewhere that this won't ever happen again.

Carlton Haselrig, from Pitt-Johnstown, was incredible. He was the only only person on his high school wrestling team and won

a state title his senior year(I'm pretty sure that was the only year he wrestled). He went to college, won 6 national titles, then was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers after not having played college football and was a Pro Bowler within 3 years. What a stud.

Yes, emphatically.  There are sometimes wrestlers that go DII, DIII, or NAIA for whatever reason (admissions problems, stay close to home, not want to live wrestling).  There was a guy last year named Todd Meneely who was a blue-chipper coming out of high school and went down the wrong road a little but came back and won 3 DII titles, a guy a couple years ago named Marcus LeVeusser (sp?) who made a habit of beating DI All-Americans, was a 4x DIII champ.  I'm sure there are countless others that could compete on the DI level who just go to another school.