Sign in to follow this  
matmonster

Winning

I spoke with a few of my colleagues and was informed that due to the state elem. tourney being held at Fern this year that Johnson Central would not be going this year. Then I was told that they were going to bring 50 some wrestlers to Perry for regions but only a solid 10 would make the trip to sates this year. I questioned then why so many at region, I was answered with this disturbing tid bit...... That they just wanted a team region title to take home. Which they did but in the wrong way! Instead of each team choosing a single scorer for each age and weight.But the impossible host of the tourney did not follow this format they scored each kid. But on the up side my son who wrestles this region had 4 matches all with JC wrestle and came out victorious with his hand being raised each time. I may speak for my self but I hope some JC persons read and comment on this post and that with this being brought out that the JC personnel make sure that the kids they used to win the region tittle get to make the awesome trip to state. Please don't take offence to this post , its just that eachkid deserves there chance in the spot light. Not used as a crutch!!!!!!

"nteresting....Last Year they wanted a state title and created a "County Team" to win state."

You need to check you facts about JC Elementary Wrestling Program. The JC Elementary Wrestling Program

has been a "County Team" every year since we started it back in 04 with about 5 kids.   

Winning the "Elementary State Wrestling tournament" has been a simple formula for all the champions,have the most kids in the tournament and be the host.               

yea the had as much kids as Ryle and Conner put together. Almost looks like Ryle, twenfhel, and Cooper combined teams. Any info on this.

Interesting..........A Boone County Team???

Sorry to offend JCB usually when you see a team wearing singlets from different schools...it means they combined with other teams....

Winning the "Elementary State Wrestling tournament" has been a simple formula for all the champions,have the most kids in the tournament and be the host.                 

yea the had as much kids as Ryle and Conner put together. Almost looks like Ryle, twenfhel, and Cooper combined teams. Any info on this.

That has not happened-ever. I am not saying that it hasn't happened in other regions, but not in Boone County or Kenton County. 

Actually do not say never........A Kenton County team combined with another a few yrs back.

....there are clubs in Region 3 that have kids on one team that compete at least for 3 different middle schools .........not much different.

Actually do not say never........A Kenton County team combined with another a few yrs back.

....there are clubs in Region 3 that have kids on one team that compete at least for 3 different middle schools .........not much different.

Question.  Were they on a legitimate youth team that competes in Cincinnati on a weekly basis?  Raiders youth has had kids on their team for several years, but the kids may go to different middle schools.  They have been on that team for years and continue to train and compete with Raiders youth.  Lets give fair balance.

I spoke with a few of my colleagues and was informed that due to the state elem. tourney being held at Fern this year that Johnson Central would not be going this year. Then I was told that they were going to bring 50 some wrestlers to Perry for regions but only a solid 10 would make the trip to sates this year. I questioned then why so many at region, I was answered with this disturbing tid bit...... That they just wanted a team region title to take home. Which they did but in the wrong way! Instead of each team choosing a single scorer for each age and weight.But the impossible host of the tourney did not follow this format they scored each kid. But on the up side my son who wrestles this region had 4 matches all with JC wrestle and came out victorious with his hand being raised each time. I may speak for my self but I hope some JC persons read and comment on this post and that with this being brought out that the JC personnel make sure that the kids they used to win the region tittle get to make the awesome trip to state. Please don't take offence to this post , its just that eachkid deserves there chance in the spot light. Not used as a crutch!!!!!!

I certainly hope this isn't the case.   We want kids wrestling in Regions and State.  We setup the region format to give the kids more matches, NOT for bragging rights.

Keeping team scores on the Region level is the host teams option.  Some did, some didn't.  

.......yes they both compete at CYW...

I understand the fair balance.....if they wrestle with that club all year I have no issues with it.

If they combine at state time then NO I can not understand.

Question.  Were they on a legitimate youth team that competes in Cincinnati on a weekly basis?  Raiders youth has had kids on their team for several years, but the kids may go to different middle schools.  They have been on that team for years and continue to train and compete with Raiders youth.  Lets give fair balance.

grapplearms is correct.  New kids coming to our team, with programs in their district, are instructed to join those teams but are not required to do so.  I know Conner has the same policy of asking kids to join where they will attend middle school.   Our veteran kids are allowed to stay on our team regardless if a new team starts up in their district.  

Raiders Youth is a CLUB team.  Campbell County is the only NKY team I'm aware of that is a true school team.  All the Louisville teams are club teams.  That's why you see kids jumping teams.

Paris,

A few years back would make it the 2nd year of having that tournament. The rules or association were not even in place. There was no conspiracy or malice intended, It was a last minute decision before the tournament. We never hid the fact that we did it. I will apologize for the last time for hurting anyones feelings. Our team combined with another team at the state tournament because we each had about 5 or 6 kids. We did it to bring the kids together as a larger team. We did not bring home a team trophy. Please do not try to tarnish our integrity or purpose. I find that personally offensive. Facts are very important to have before smearing programs or people with good intentions. If our state is going to chose to go in this direction maybe we should vote on teams worthy of joining the association. With all of this brotherly love going on we may have 2 or three teams holy enough to be worthy. 

.......yes they both compete at CYW...

I understand the fair balance.....if they wrestle with that club all year I have no issues with it.

If they combine at state time then NO I can not understand.

CYW and Kentucky are two completely different entities. There is nothing in the Kentucky Bylaws about CYW season. Kentucky season for us, starts at the Kentucky Regional Tournament. There is no real season for us in Kentucky.

I did not imply any type of"tarnishing" I simple corrected a post.

I did state a fact.

Justify it anyway you like.... I do not agree with it ...rules or no rules intergity is the bottom line issue of what we are debating here now.

paris

"Sorry to offend JCB usually when you see a team wearing singlets from different schools...it means they combined with other teams...."

That may be true in Louisville or Norhtern Kentucky however, in regards to Johnson Centeral Elementary Program, it means we have not had the resousrces to order team singlets.  The kids you saw with singlets at state in 07. 08 or in 09, were purchased individually by thier parents probably from e-bay or  Eastbay.  Thus, you get many different styles and corlors. 

grapplearms

"That is not true.  Ryle has won twice and been the runner up twice.  They have NEVER hosted the tournament."

I am not sure but I think if you check Ryle was to be the host of th 07 Elementary State Tournment but something happen that they could not get the gym and the physical location had to be moved to Conner but the tournment was ran by Ryle. 

I could be wrong but I believe :

Larue was host and won in 05( Numbers were less of a factor in this elementary state due to there were only 3 different divisions which were broken down by grades.)McCreary was host and won in 06

Ryle was host / directed and won in 07

JC was host and won in 08

matmonster

"I spoke with a few of my colleagues and was informed that due to the state elem. tourney being held at Fern this year that Johnson Central would not be going this year. Then I was told that they were going to bring 50 some wrestlers to Perry for regions but only a solid 10 would make the trip to sate this year. I questioned then why so many at region, I was answered with this disturbing tid bit...... That they just wanted a team region title to take home. Which they did but in the wrong way! Instead of each team choosing a single scorer for each age and weight.But the impossible host of the tourney did not follow this format they scored each kid. But on the up side my son who wrestles this region had 4 matches all with JC wrestle and came out victorious with his hand being raised each time. I may speak for my self but I hope some JC persons read and comment on this post and that with this being brought out that the JC personnel make sure that the kids they used to win the region tittle get to make the awesome trip to state. Please don't take offence to this post , its just that eachkid deserves there chance in the spot light. Not used as a crutch!!!!!! "

matmonster

"Please don't take offense to this post , its just that each kid deserves their chance in the spot light. Not used as a crutch!!!!!! "

Not sure what else you could have meant by implying using kids as a "crutch" could be taken other than jealousy or resentment. 

But to answer your question as to why JC had 50 go to region and probably will only have between 5 to 15 go to state, are wrestling experiences and economic's.  Most of the kids which went to region were kids under the age of 10 with less then a month of experience in wrestling.  Due to the weather this year,  I believe we have only had 6 elementary pactrices before region.  Second, the cost going to Perry County was minimal.  The trip to state is much more expensive.  It will require staying overnigt and is about 200 miles away. 

You can go back and  check but I have been involved from the begining with Johnson County Wrestling and believe the most we have ever had go to the elementary state wrestling tournament(other than 08 when we were the host) has been less then 10 with and average of more like 5. 

Matmonster's post makes absolutely no sense. If Johnson Central had not brought their elementary team, the region would have been a joke. The total number combined in the region would have been less than 25. Instead of other teams being jealous, they need to get to work.   J.C. and coach Matney have no secret formula. It's simply hard work. Did you see the dozen or so volunteer coaches who give up their time and money for the Central program? This is what makes J. C. successful. As for loading up a team, Johnson Central does exactly what everyone else does. They use only the feeder schools that go into their high school; which by the way is fairly small  (about 1000 students at the h.s.). As for going to state, I do not know how many will go because of a couple of reasons.  #1  We missed 20 days of school and since our youth league does not start till January most of our kids have only practiced 4 or 5 days. Our youth league has already paid big dividends and we do not plan on changing our format.  #2 financially a trip to Louisville for some of our kids may not be possible.

Matmonster's post makes absolutely no sense. If Johnson Central had not brought their elementary team, the region would have been a joke. The total number combined in the region would have been less than 25. Instead of other teams being jealous, they need to get to work.  J.C. and coach Matney have no secret formula. It's simply hard work. Did you see the dozen or so volunteer coaches who give up their time and money for the Central program? This is what makes J. C. successful. As for loading up a team, Johnson Central does exactly what everyone else does. They use only the feeder schools that go into their high school; which by the way is fairly small  (about 1000 students at the h.s.). As for going to state, I do not know how many will go because of a couple of reasons.  #1  We missed 20 days of school and since our youth league does not start till January most of our kids have only practiced 4 or 5 days. Our youth league has already paid big dividends and we do not plan on changing our format.  #2 financially a trip to Louisville for some of our kids may not be possible

Just to let you know...I agree w/ matmonster!! Regionals were nothing if not a crock! Trust me our team definitely need not take lessons from JC! Nothing against the kids...just the ethics of the officials..or should I say lack there of? Our little Martin Co. team managed to hold their own just fine...As a matter of fact...my son wrestled ALL his matches against JC and WON them all! I'm sure there's not any jealousy toward JC...it's only distaste for the way in which they handle theirselves. I am at every single practice and I can state for a fact there's no amount of hardwork that JC or anyone else for that matter that we don't match if not beat...Who's problem is it that wrestling didn't start in time for JC to be ready? Sounds like an excuse to me..hmm? The only people it hurts are the kids that give their all but yet can't get anyone dedicated enough to help them practice and prepare in ample time to accomplish what needs to be done.

I don't want to seem like I have a problem w/ the kids...it's not that at all. But I will not sit with my mouth shut...when I too have a son and nephews that wrestle and deserve to be treated with dignity. Yeah it's fun to win a team trophy but what for? B/c you out number everyone? What's that about? Go by a trophy and tell the kids you're sorry but regionals is REQUIRED for the ones going to state!Better yet send em our way and we'll make sure that if they go through the trouble of practice and regionals we'll make sure they get to wrestle in a much deserved spot for state.

paris

grapplearms

"That is not true.  Ryle has won twice and been the runner up twice.  They have NEVER hosted the tournament."

I am not sure but I think if you check Ryle was to be the host of th 07 Elementary State Tournment but something happen that they could not get the gym and the physical location had to be moved to Conner but the tournment was ran by Ryle. 

I could be wrong but I believe :

Larue was host and won in 05( Numbers were less of a factor in this elementary state due to there were only 3 different divisions which were broken down by grades.)McCreary was host and won in 06

Ryle was host / directed and won in 07

JC was host and won in 08

Ryle won it in 2005, was runner up in 2006, won in 2007 and was runner-up last year.

I may have read to much in between the lines, but  was jcb hinting the host teams fix things so they can win. If so they should never be allowed to host another event period. This is for kids and the kids only grown ups egos should checked at the door.

heavy83

Junior Varsity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may have read to much in between the lines, but  was jcb hinting the host teams fix things so they can win. If so they should never be allowed to host another event period. This is for kids and the kids only grown ups egos should checked at the door.

I'm not sure if you are using marijuana for medicinal proposes or not however, yes you do have a very creative imagination heavy83.  There was nothing being said between the line.  Just that at this time the team with the most wrestlers are in the strongest position to win the state.  It a numbers game nothing more nothing less.  A team has a chance to score in about 48 weight class.  In addition several weight class will have less then 4 wrestlers which means a team can score without winning a match.  Also, if you are the host you a increase number of kids wrestling in the tournament. 

heavy83

Junior Varsity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may have read to much in between the lines, but  was jcb hinting the host teams fix things so they can win. If so they should never be allowed to host another event period. This is for kids and the kids only grown ups egos should checked at the door.

I'm not sure if you are using marijuana for medicinal proposes or not however, yes you do have a very creative imagination heavy83.  There was nothing being said between the line.  Just that at this time the team with the most wrestlers are in the strongest position to win the state.  It a numbers game nothing more nothing less.  A team has a chance to score in about 48 weight class.  In addition several weight class will have less then 4 wrestlers which means a team can score without winning a match.   Also, if you are the host you a increase number of kids wrestling in the tournament. 

Your post is very disrespectful.  You could have attempted to portray your opinion more accurately without being rude.  Quite frankly, I read your post the same way the heavy83 did.  And for the record I don't smoke marijuana for medicinal or recreational purposes.  I have seen teams win by wrestling hard....yes, the numbers help but if they show up in mass and lose on the mat it doesn't help.  You still need to win the matches.  Why can't we just congratulate the kids that wrestle hard and move on?