Hawkfan99

Coach of the Year?

I personally believe Coach Canter from LaRue should win Coach of the Year this year. He hasn't won it before and its time to show the man the respect that he deserves. He built the program at LaRue from scratch and I'd say he's done some pretty impressive work. Of course I'm a little biased but I think most would agree.

Whoever wins state gets coach of the year.

Duh.

I believe at least once in Ky history the coach of the year was NOT from the state championship team.

I also don't think this should be a given. In what other sports does this happen? At least not in the higher levels it does not happen.

I think that the coaches need to look at the overall picture, not just who won the state title.

You may think that grappler, but you and I both know what will happen. It's a shame, but it's the truth.

Remember, this is the same state that we cant get enough coache sin the first place, and those we have don't even support their own association.;

First, not all coaches will vote for the state champion team's coach automatically. You have to remember that the coaches love this sport, and put in an amazing amount of time and effort, and take the State tournament very seriously, in every aspect, including coach of the year.

Secondly, the coaches in this state do support their association, but you have to realize that most coaches are either volunteers, or are being paid a very low wage. Coaches already put in a massive amount of time with a team. The Association heads put in a massive amount of time as well, and you have to realize that they as well as 99.9% of the coaches in this state have other jobs, primary jobs, famalies, and other considerations in their life, and that wrestling while very important to them is not the only consideration on their mind.

My vote would go to a coach that has been in the sport for over 50 years. Harrison Co. coach russ regiel has taken a harrison co. team that has always been ok in the past, but has gone to a diffrent level with a core of young wrestlers (10th grade). Is is the winning coach in the nation and is on of the few to have 700 dual match wins. Look for them to get even better in the next few years.