Sign in to follow this  
RYLE RAIDERS

RUSCHELL NOW IN THE FINALS AT MIDLANDS

1.  Accumulated knowlege is fine, but most of our best wrestlers (Cal Sanderson is one easy one) have wrestled since they were around 5 years of age.  Plenty of accumulated knowledge by the time they are 23.

2.  Man strength is just the strength to say I would rather die than give in to some dumb punk kid!

3.  Great wrestlers participate in all wrestling styles - Freestyle, Greco, Folkstyle, Sombo, Ju-Jitsu, etc...  Therefore, there is no changeover issue.

I know many individuals that I used to wrestle with and against that would walk off from one mat wrestling Freestyle onto another and wrestle a match of Greco, and sometimes then immediately on to a third mat and wrestled Sombo or Folkstyle.  You just had to have the rules understood and your body just automatically adjusts.

According to:  http://curbywrestling.com/pdf/AgesofOlympicWrestlingChampions.pdf

"The average age of all Olympic wrestling champions is 26.79 years. The freestyle average age is

26.42 and for Greco-Roman is 27.15. There are no dramatic trends apparent. The champions in

Athens were a bit younger than the style average: Greco-Roman-24.38, Freestyle-25.21 and

Women-20.88."

The only reason these ages are slightly later than the range I posted (18-25) is because 1.  Olympics only happens every 4 years.  2.  They typically freak out the first time they go to a large event such as the Olympics or Worlds.

Actually at least in the US we have had more first-time gold medalists than repeats.  Sanderson, Gable, both Brands, Lewis, Baumgartner, Smith, Slay and I'm sure there are many others.  The problem is they usually don't make the Olympic team until they've been through one cycle like you speak of.  But there might be a reason that most don't make a World or Olympic team, hence my above post.

Not very feasible as male physical, mental, and sexual primes are all earlier.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_do_men_reach_their_physical_prime

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080401095955AA4uBZj

And it is now fairly well known that brain cropping is completed at about the age of 25.

Seems to me that 18-25 is much more feasible.

I don't know about all the other stuff you're mentioning there.  I know grapplehed was trying for the olympics when he was past the prime by your standard.  I teased him about it and he came back with some good info to backup that a wrestler's prime is later than 18-25.  He was beating kids in that younger age range that finished very high in NCAA's.  I want to say he said it was actually more like 25-32 that a wrestler "peaks".  I believe in the midlands this year Chris Bono beat Cyler Sanderson.  (I think that's their names).  Some of these older guys also bow out graciously to give younger guys a chance.  I believe if Cael Sanderson had wanted to make the Olympics again he probably would have....but taking a spot from a good upstart.