Sign in to follow this  
KCWA

2008 Kansas City Wrestling Classic

All indications are that we are going to be allowed to expand the tournament to 32 teams. We should have final word the 1st week of May but we are preceding on the assumption that we will be able to expand. I am currently preparing for the competition committee to meet and decide which teams to add to the tournament. I am expecting Bishop Lynch and Canyon Randall, Texas to be two of the teams. They finished this past year number one in Texas, Private and public respectively.

The tournament will be held December 19 and 20, 2008 at the KCI Expo Center in Kansas City, Mo.

The following teams have already been invited:

1. Blue Springs, Mo

2. Collins Hill, Ga

3. Creston, Ia

4. Del City, Ok

5. Farmington, Mo

6. Ft. Zumwalt West, Mo

7. Goddard, Ks

8. Granite City, Il

9. Hayfield Secondary, Va

10. Holt, Mo

11. Kearney, Mo

12. Keller, Tx

13. Norman North, Ok

14. Oak Grove, Mo

15. Oak Park, Mo

16. Oak Park - River Forrest, Il

17. Omaha Skutt Catholic, Ne

18. Park Hill, Mo

19. Park Hill South, Mo

20. Perry, Ok

21. Platte County, Mo

22. Ponca City, Ok

23. Rio Rancho, Nm

All but Rio Rancho have already accepted the invitation. According the the 2008 final rankings by Amatuer Wrestling News they list 8. Oak Park, 13, Omaha Skutt Catholic, 24, Bishop Lynch, 31. Collins Hill, 35. Ponca City and 36. Goddard.

We had an excellent lineup this past year. The tournament featured approximately 142 state qualifiers, 83 state medalists and 33 state champions. This also included 3 2007 Junior National All Americans and 6 Cadet National All Americans. The 145 pound class had 7 state champions and the 130 pound weight class had 3 three time state champs. Most classes had some nationally ranked individuals.

I would like to see quality Kentucky teams in the tournament. If you are interested in consideration for a slot in the tournament or require additional information contact Tom Taulbee at 816-582-5417 or kansascitywrestlingassoc@yahoo.com.

om.