Sign in to follow this  
pioneer_pride

State ref rankings

I want to give props to cody walls for the job he did in the state tournament and in the finals. He looked more confident as a second year ref than some of the others there. I noticed in the finals He was constantly telling the wrestlers to stay in the small circle and to wrestle wrestle wreslte, I could here him in the stands. He also appears to know the rule book inside and out. As a second year ref myself I think he stepped up the calabor of exelance at the state tournament,  Good job man

Barnett is my number 1 referee with Jimmy Shaw a very close second. I like the way each manages the match. They seem to be in control without appearing arrogant, flashy or having to be the center of attention. I can think of one time that I

I normally just read these comments and don't reply but I do have to speak out.  As for tapping out, it happens more than just at the state tournament.  We are refs not doctors.  If a wrestler says they are injured then we stop the match no matter what position they are in.  All of us try our best to be consistant.  We have called stalling and fleeing the mat all year.  As for myself, I have been calling stalling and fleeing as consistant as I can in every match throughout the entire season and I am sure the others have put the same effort into there officiating.  Everyone knows that we are short of officials so for all the people who think the have what it takes, take the test , pay the fees, buy the equipment and get out on the mat and give it a shot.  If you can contribute to this sport then we need you!

Regarding the tap out, I would like to see points awarded if a referee stops a match for a wrestler that taps, crys, or screams and you find out there was nothing wrong with them, regardless of whether the kid is on their back. I witnessed a kid who cried out to the referee just after making a mistake and was about to be turned with a half nelson. The kid was wearing a mask so referee stopped the match for blood and there was none. The wrestler on top was awarded zero points, when it was clear that there was nothing wrong with the other wrestler. Is there an unsportsmanlike rule that will allow a referee to award points when somehting like this happens? I realize this would be a judgement call, but it might prevent wrestlers from pretending to be hurt so that they can catch their breath or to keep their opponent from getting points.

I also have seen wrestlers who don't even wear contact lenses act like they lost one so they could catch their breath.  And wouldn't you know it a minute later the second non existent lenses supposedly popped out.  How convienient.