Sign in to follow this  
stanmms

LATEST REVISION OF KY STATE YOUTH WRESTLING BYLAWS

Changed bylaw 7.

Changed weight classes to reflect actual age not school year.

Added tournament info.

Added match rules and time periods.

Any other suggestions need to be in no later than May 18th.

IF we are going to use age why do we need the Repeating Grades Bylaw??? Not sure the logic in this?

Bylaw 12.  Repeating grades

Wrestlers repeating a grade for any reason are ineligible to participate in KSYWA events during the second year in that grade.  The president may grant a waiver for this in a case where there has been documentation by the attending physician, principal and superintendent that severe illness or injury has prevented the student from receiving necessary education services and the right to an education has therefore been impacted rather than simply the loss of athletic privilege.  Such grant of waiver may only be made in the cases of which the student-athlete would remain eligible by all other KSYWA bylaws.

Can someone explain to me why we need Bylaw 10?  I can not think of 1 good reason to have Bylaw 10 and below is 3 good one reasons not to have it and should be part of the organizations mission and purpose. 

First,(Skill Level Development) by having youth involved in the middle school wrestling would increase elementary state skill level

Second,(geographic) currently most rural areas have to travel 3 hours 1 way to compete in an elementary tournament, by wrestling in middle school tournaments it allows us to get competetive matches closer to home.  By limiting the number of middle school matches would create a hardship on the rural teams.  For teams in the urban areas (Lousiville, Lexington, Northern KY) getting competetive elementary matchers does not seem to be a problem. 

Third,(Scoring in Middle School) by having the 70 & 75 lb weight class in Middle School State,I feel this promotes having younger elementary wrestlers participating in these weight classes.  In the 2007 Middle School State Tournament, Bylaw 10 would have eliminated 13 elementary wrestlers.  This is not counting the elementary wrestlers who did not qualify for the Middle School State.  How is this good for the development of Kentucky Elementary Wrestling?

Bylaw 10.  Any youth wrestler participating in more than 5 middle school matches in one season shall not be eligible for elementary regional and state events.  NOTE: THIS RULE DOES NOT INCLUDE 6TH GRADERS SINCE IN SOME PARTS OF THE STATE 6TH GRADERS ARE ELEMENTARY AND OTHER PARTS THEY ARE MIDDLE SCHOOL.

I'm pretty sure I understand.  Is it possible to repeat your age?  I think the intent is the wrestler is ineligible because of grades.

I've seen bylaw 12 argued both ways.  Ever seen a 4th grader wrestle an 8th grader?  Not real pretty or safe.  How does that make either wrestler better?

Your geographic dilemma makes sense except that the little kids are still not going to get matches and the bigger ones are faced with what I said above.

But there are a number of 5th graders who can be competitive (not win or medal maybe) in the lighter middle school weight classes and can help to fill out the rosters.  I think letting them have the opportunity to compete is a good thing.