Sign in to follow this  
Northern

Sportsmanship

Chris Espinoza, McCreary Central's Hwt, was picked for the individual sportsmanship award at State.  I heard a story the other day that may explain why he got this award.

Young, Oldham's Hwt, had a broken hand at the tournament.  He was trying to hide it, but word got out.  During the Espinoza/Young match, Chris noticed that Young flinched when he grabbed one of his hands.  He let go of that hand and would only grab the wrist for the remainder of the match.  When Young asked him about it after the match, Espinoza told him that if he wanted to win by outwrestling his opponent, not by taking advantage of an injury. 

That's class!  While others are tapping out, we have a wrestler that wants to win by earning it. 

If this story is true, i agree that it was very honorable on esponoza's part...i would have to admit that i was questioning the signifigance of the award when it was announced because his wrestling style of stalling out(my personal opinion)...but i respect what espo did in that match, congratulations on the accomplishment.