Sign in to follow this  
grappler-of-old

Rule Changes for next year (WOW)

Looks like there are going to be a few major changes for next year. 

Here is the link. 

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/participants-now-inbounds-with-one-point-of-contact-in-high-school-wrestling/

Minor changes: 

1.  Officials will use a new signal for time out. 

2.  Center 10 Foot circle is now optional.

Change:

1.  Wrestlers are still inbounds if one supporting point is in-bound. 

Major Change:

1. A takedown will now score (3)three points instead of (2) two

2.  Near fall will consist of (2 count = 2 points) (3 count = 3 points) (4 count = 4 points.) 

My 2 cents, because that's all its worth. 

I like all the changes except the (3) point takedown.

I believe that it will develop one dimensional wrestlers. Takedown artists. 

Some believe it will increase aggression. Maybe, but it also may increase defense.  Many may be reluctant to take an offensive shot when you may give up 3 points instead of 2. 

I know college is doing this but these are elite athletes, I'm focusing on the average or below average wrestler who may become a defensive giant. 

Now if you get hit with a throw you are down 7-0 instead of 5-0.  Techs will increase, maybe a tech should now be 18 instead of 15. 

Just my 2 cents.  Lets get ready to wrestle next year and find out what happens. 

As a college wrestler that dealt with these rule changes this year, I was skeptical of the 3 pt takedown at first, but liked it as the year went on. It encourages wrestlers who get big leads to keep wrestling and not stall or coast for a period since guys can come back more easily. Keeps guys engaged through the whole match and pushes for tech falls and bonus point victories which will speed up tournaments and duals. In freestyle it only takes 5 takedowns to get a tech fall. Now in folkstyle, it only takes 7. Especially in matches where you know a kid is going to takedown and cut, it makes it easier to end the match with 7 takedowns rather than the 14 it would require before with no near fall. It also translates closer to college wrestling now. Before the 3 pt TD, college had so many changes like 4 pt nearfall, college out of bounds and stalling, riding time, and danger rule. This past year made it seem like that much more different to high school, almost as if it was a different sport. These changes are good as they push for more action and points on the board as well as make it more related to college rules which is helpful for prospective athletes to make that transition to the next level.