Sign in to follow this  
Nolans Dad

Question for High School Coaches

I hope I'm asking this question in the right place..... How many High Schools, struggle to have all the weight classes? I know are team Montgomery County struggles to have a full roster. I tried to recruit some football players to help out the wrestling team.... Just curious if other schools are having the Same problems? Any ideas on how a parent could try and help recruit for the wrestling team? 

• Upvote 2

Many schools have this problem.  

Recruiting has to happen with the school.  You need support from the Football coach and athletic department. That can be difficult in KY for some reason.  Getting kids interested young is also important.  If you can get a kid interested in elementary school then they will continue through high school.  They will also get their friends involved.  

However I have found this to be a double edged sword.  Getting these young kids interested in wrestling takes those athletes from the basketball team.  Which at our school is a no no. I was also told once by the athletic director that if I got to many football players on the wresting team then they would not have a football weight lifting program.  

Just keep plugging away get more parents involved and pushing the program.  That is probably the number 1 thing that you can do.  If enough parents are pushing the school for the team then you can get their backing. 

I can tell you this.  Way back in the early 80's when wrestling was not a big sport at Campbell. My parents and many of the other wrestling parents took control of the athletic boosters at Campbell and pushed wrestling hard.  You can see the outcome of that. Not saying that was the only factor but I believe it was a big factor. 

• Upvote 1