Sign in to follow this  
sweepsingle

Entering wrestlers in youth state

38 minutes ago, Jedigrappler said:

#1from one reg against #4 from two regional,  #2 from one region against #3 from region 2.  See the 10% rule not only promotes injury and dropping out, it confuses the confused people who think it's a good thing!! #setweights

Please enlighten us confused people as to how the 10% rule "promotes injury".  #samestoryeveryyear

Wrestler "A" weighs 49lbs, 10% rule allows him to wrestle opponents up to 4.9 lbs heavier.  53.9.  Wrestling in most parts of the country you'll find weight classes for youth 46,49,52,55 etc. so somewhere else there is TWO weight classes between them resulting in less chance of injury.  10% is a lot of weight, imagine if High School used it, 119 vs 131.  In youth wrestling there are many examples of kids being at the top of the weight class ALL year even regionals, then end up being the lightest at States,  very unsafe.  Explain how it's safer.   How is Ky right on this and the whole world wrong?

7 minutes ago, Jedigrappler said:

Wrestler "A" weighs 49lbs, 10% rule allows him to wrestle opponents up to 4.9 lbs heavier.  53.9.  Wrestling in most parts of the country you'll find weight classes for youth 46,49,52,55 etc. so somewhere else there is TWO weight classes between them resulting in less chance of injury.  10% is a lot of weight, imagine if High School used it, 119 vs 131.  In youth wrestling there are many examples of kids being at the top of the weight class ALL year even regionals, then end up being the lightest at States,  very unsafe.  Explain how it's safer.   How is Ky right on this and the whole world wrong?

1 hour ago, raidercoach said:

Please enlighten us confused people as to how the 10% rule "promotes injury".  #samestoryeveryyear

7 minutes ago, Jedigrappler said:

What you provided is a hypothetical, but is not the reality of our state tournament in almost every weight class.  The 10% rule is a maximum allowed, but the reality is most weight classes are spread between 3%-5%, which is a much closer spread percentage wise compared to USA Wrestling youth weights.  Therefore, since it can be proven that our state brackets distribute the wrestlers closer in weight compared to set weights, you can argue that it is safer using 10% rule in this instance.  

The "whole world" does not use set weight classes.  Trackwrestling would not offer the option to use 10% rule on their site just for Kentucky.  There are other large tournaments that use it that are much more competitive than our state tournament. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jedigrappler said:

Evidently you agree it encourages dropping out.  I guess growing the sport in Ky. isn't a goal either.

I've been around youth wrestling in Kentucky since you were probably pooping green.  In fact, I was wrestling when there was NO youth wrestling.  Our youth wrestling was going to high school to get you butt kicked by high school kids.  Since then, many people have helped build it to what it is now which is something I could only dream of 20 years ago.  Our first youth state tournament was held (I believe) in CC's gym and was smaller than most regional tournaments now.  This is our largest state tournament ever with 1300 kids signed up from all over the state.  Growth has been the biggest goal and whatever we are doing is working and that can be proven, regardless of your opinion.    

• Upvote 1

Another potential problem with fixed weight class at youth is that it could encourage these young kids to cut weight to drop a weight class.  You might even see parents pushing this on their kids to make them more competitive.  I think there is less pressure on the kid if there isn't a target weight that they might try to cut to, and instead they just wrestle their natural weight.

I see the whole "mic dropped" thing has disappeared. Dang!  Had some great comebacks!! Oh well....Kids with kids!! Lol!!! Good luck to all this weekend. 

raidercoach- you gave me a lesson in grammar(not), I gave you a lesson in wrestling!  Your defense of 10% rule is elementary at best.  ANY "SYSTEM" THAT PITS TWO REGIONAL CHAMPS AGAINST EACH OTHER IN THE FIRST ROUND OF STATE IS JUNK AND VERY UNUSUAL! ......I might have a mic as in microphone in my ass, better than you with your head in yours!! You sound like a village elder in IRAQ with you shit talk!!! BAM!BAM!BAM!!MIC DROP!! POW!!

Louisville, POTENTIALLY cutting weight is not your job.  That's up to the PARENT!!  YOUR point is invalid.  JUNK TALK! Bam mic drop

Nike man, my kids are grown. Probably older than you.  I've been around the sport since the late 70's.  Your useless in this topic!! Bam bam bam, mic drop!!!

raider coach- Your one to talk about grammar, you make no sense.  "Our youth wrestling was going to high school to get you butt kicked by high school wrestlers."  I'm waiting for explanation how two regional champs meet in the first round with a "push of a button."  hahahahaha good joke!  It would be fine to me if they could wrestleback for true second.  Shady Grady.!

Regions are just used so they can have a number of wrestlers that will be at state one.The first year they had regions there was a total of around 350 for the entire state that wrestled in regions then all of a sudden 1000 kids showed up at state some never wrestled before and wearing blue jeans. It was the unorganized slow tournament ever. This group of coaches has brought this to an incredible growth. They don't deserve you're pot stirring bull craps. Good Luck to All