Sign in to follow this  
bumstead

region strength

I too live in region 8 and think it has a lot to do with the style in our region. to me at the state tourney our guys look to be in slow motion compared to other regions especially when wrestling on our feet. None of our region have the neutral movement or technique from the feet as the other regions, especially out west and up north. The hand fighting and aggressiveness just doesn't seem to be there, the whole region just seems to be more comfortable on the mat, and by then they are already behind. just my opinion tho.

Here is a question. Why is region 8 having sucha hard time competing!?!? I live in this region and this was not the case when I was in high school. Is it coaching?? Is it the number of kids competing in wrestling in other parts if the state? Is it the strength of te feeder programs? The offseason schedule??

I understand many may not want to answer this question. But if we are to move forward as a state we need to promote the sport statewide.

One of the biggest problems at Ashland is numbers. We finished the season with 7 kids. It's hard to be competitive when you can't fill all weight classes. Another issue is geography. Our closest team in the region is Johnson which is an hour away so we are forced to go to West Virginia and Ohio. We see the only 2 teams in that part of Ohio almost ever week. Alot of the teams in west virgina have the same numbers problem. We had a dual this year that between weights they didn't have and weights we didn't have we wound up with 1match. It seems other regions can wrestle every night if the week and not see the same team twice.

Wrestling, in this are, is considered to be second rate.

Sign in to follow this