Sign in to follow this  
JCB

2013 MS Regional Assessment

2013 MS Regional Assessment

Looking at the date I think it would be fair to say the quality of MS Wrestling is better in Region 3.   

However in ranking the overall strength of schedule of Region I would have to go with Region 1. 

My Ranking of strength of region based on the 2013 Middle School State Tournament Results would be:   

1st Region 1 (28 placers, 3 winners)

2nd Region 3 (19 placers and 8 winners)

3rd Region 4 (24 Placers and 3 winners)

4th Region 2(19 placers and 1 winner) 

Those numbers really illustrate great balance in the state.  With all the talk of how tough Region 3 is lately, I am surprised to see their low total number of placers.  They had a few weight classes with no placers which just goes to show that maybe they don't dominate like they think! 

However, you'd have a hard time convincing a lot of people that Region 1 is the strongest region when Region 3 had over double the amount of champions that the other 3 regions had combined.  You clearly are putting a premium on placers over champions, which most people probably wouldn't do without bias.  Not to mention Region 3 produced the team champion in dominating fashion for the 4th year in a row.  I would take the region with almost 63% more champions and the team title over the region with 33% more placers and no team title.     

It does show that there is some good balance around the state. With the bracketing the number of placers should be relatively even. Region champs are separated and "seeded" to reach the semis and place top 6.