Sign in to follow this  
wristandahalf

Camaraderie at youth state

In the afternoon session on Mat 10 in the big gym which was 11/12 year olds 80 and 85 lbs. there was some of the most intense competition of the day. These kids were bangin heads and going full bore with some great wrestling the entire day.

The best part though was to look over where at the staging area where they were sitting and see them laughing, goofing around and having a great time. And then about 15 minutes before a match there attitude changed to one of preparing for competition and all seriousness. After there match was done and they had come down it was back to laughing and goofing around. At first kids were in there groups that they knew, Louisville, Northern KY, Southern KY but as the day progressed the groups broke down and the kids were all mixed in together. It did my heart good to see one a kid from Louisville with his arm around a kid from Northern KY trying to console him after a loss.

It's hard for me to remember at times but these kids had it right for this weekend with the attitude of hey were here to win but were here to have fun too. It bodes well for the future of wrestling in Kentucky.

I agree. My son wrestled against a boy from Bourbon county. On the mat they were fighting it out like true champs, but after the match they were like best friends. I love to see the boys wrestle but more than that I love to see the friendships that grow out of these tournaments. I think wrestling teaches our children to handle life's ups and downs with grace. I hope my son continues to wrestle throughout high school.