Sign in to follow this  
HCWolverines06

02-01-06: Anderson County 39, McCreary Central 31

http://www.theandersonnews.com/articles/2006/02/06/sports/sports03.txt

=====

Grapplers pin McCreary on Senior Night

By John Herndon

About the only thing missing from Anderson County's wrestling Senior Night were some opponents for Clayton Stocker and Jacob Spaulding to pin.

The pair, both ranked early in the season, were declared winners by forfeit when McCreary Central had no opposition for Stocker at 119 pounds or Spaulding at 145, but they took matters into their own hands with a friendly match after the Bearcats had defeated visiting McCreary 39-31 last Wednesday night.

"I thought we wrestled fairly well," said ACHS coach Steve Karsner, who was also making his final appearance in a Bearcat home match. Karsner has taken a position as assistant principal at Boyle County Middle School and will be leaving the Anderson mat program at the conclusion of the season.

"Our guys that won, mostly pinned their guys and when we lost, it was only by a point or two. We were able to start all nine seniors but unfortunately, a couple of them had to receive a forfeit."

Another senior, Nathaniel Kidd, also took a forfeit victory at 152 pounds, a win that put Anderson up 33-3 at the time but the Bearcats held on for the team win as seniors Sam Lee, Matt Franklin and Zack Burford all forced their opponents to win by decision (three points as opposed to six for a pin).

"We have been working on takedowns a lot lately," said Karsner. "Sam wrestled a good match but he was unfortunately unable to take his opponent down in overtime fo the win. Matt also wrestled an outstanding match that came up a little short. He was dealing with distractions as he had a wreck after school before the match."

Other Bearcats to have their hands raised were Joey Campbell, Brandon Ellet and Sammy Isaacs and Robert Dillhoff, all by pin.

Anderson's Shane Carey, ranked ninth at 130 pounds, dropped a 16-8 decision to McCreary's Eric Bryant, but Karsner said, "Shane was wrestling a top four wrestler at 125 pounds and had the kid on his back. He got beat by eight points but he really competed against a top-notch wrestler.

Freshman Ben Joseph, ranked 11th at 103 pounds, had taken an 11-10 lead but lost when he was pinned just before the final buzzer in the last, and perhaps most exciting, bout of the match.

"This group of seniors is really great," said Karsner. "They are part of my family. It is like my kids have nine older brothers. They have all helped bring the wrestling program to where it is today. The younger guys on the team know what it takes to be a winner. I was focused on beating McCreary before the match but it was nice to take time to recognize the seniors and their parents. They have truly been a great group of wrestlers and parents to work with the past few years."

hahaha mccreary was missing 2 key wrestler because of injuryies or else it would have swayed the other way like lastr time they meet. and some of anderson wins was luck lol but good job anyways anderson im glad you had a good senior night thats how i would have wanted to go out be winning a duel by chance.