Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Coach Leng (St Paris Graham) at Campbell County Sept 14-15

Otto I know this is a camp thread but times are slow , what do you think college coaches think of kids playing football do you think they frown on it and do you think kids simply do not play their upperclassmen years because they are working on wrestling or slacking before college ,I haven't really gotten a feel for how they feel unless they just remain silent because they are playing already or they simply hold their breath and hope they don't get hurt .

I have not heard of any college wrestling coach encouraging/discouraging a wrestler from playing football. We all know of the benefits wrestling has on a football player. What are the benefits of football as it relates to wrestling? I would guess not much relative to what wrestling provides the football player. Personally, if I were a college wrestling coach I would not encourage a recruit to play football. I would not discourage it, but in no way would I want a recruit to risk major injury. As Ranger123 said above, the OSU staff loves the football player with wrestling experience. One of the most dominant HWTs to come out of Ohio is co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell. In that vein, keep an eye on Garrett Goebel #53. Kid was a stud HWT from Montini Catholic, Illinois, I saw him win Ironman in 2007 in dominating fashion. He is starting D-line and captain for OSU. Sorry to get off on a tangent.

So will he be wrestling at OSU ?

After always taking up for wrestling and saying how much it helps football players It would be kind of egotistical and close minded to not think there are advantages to playing football , the cardio , the battling for position , hitting , all the movement in the equipment , drills ,agility .there's a ton of advantages , unless your a 106 lber LOL ,

So will he be wrestling at OSU ?

After always taking up for wrestling and saying how much it helps football players It would be kind of egotistical and close minded to not think there are advantages to playing football , the cardio , the battling for position , hitting , all the movement in the equipment , drills ,agility .there's a ton of advantages , unless your a 106 lber LOL ,

Goebel has not wrestled at all, on football schollie. Not sure if he is a senior or perhaps a junior. All good points re: football benefitting wrestling.

Back on topic...

I have heard of a number of kids that are interested in coming in (some MS kids from Woodford, some Oldham kids, etc). Please give me a pm or email to hold your spot. Don't get me killed by my wife because she makes food for 40 and 60 kids show up.

We have a great group of kids confirmed for this weekend. Still have room for a couple more. If you are interested send me an email or PM to get more information or reserve your spot.

Wth 6 NCAA titles is that even allowed ,

Back in the day, the NCAA DIII and DII champs were allowed to compete in the DI Nat'l tournament. I believe this "invitation" ended in the early 90's.

Don't forget Stephen Neal as a great wrestler (2x NCAA Champ, World Champ) that went on to a very successful NFL career (with Patriots) despite never playing college football.

Ray Lewis, in an interview, said (when asked why he was such a good tackler), it was because he was a wrestler in high school.

Awesome weekend! I don't have my list in front of me, but off the top of my head, we had tough, tough kids from all around the state (Campbell Co, Walton, Woodford, St Xavier, Franklin Co, Simon Kenton, Trinity, Turkeyfoot, Oldham Co) not to mention a few tough OH kids from Graham (of course) and Burnett's.

I agree with workhard, the big guy turnout was a little disappointing (even considering football), but it was pretty darn fun to see the kids that did step up roll with one of the best middle weights in the country in Micah Jordan.

Thank you for a great training opportunity. It was very much appreciated and Nate had a good time. Good luck to everyone making the trip out to the Super 32 Or Super 150. Travel safe!

• Upvote 1

Thank you for a great training opportunity. It was very much appreciated and Nate had a good time. Good luck to everyone making the trip out to the Super 32 Or Super 150. Travel safe!

Glad Nathan could make it. Good to talk with him. I haven't talked to him in 2 years; the last time he was at CC for this camp as part of the first group Coach Leng brought down. Fun watching him and Fausz go at it.

Something I forgot to add. My wife Amber and Krista Yenter did a ton of work to allow me to mostly sit back and enjoy the weekend. It couldn't happen without them.