Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Coach Leng (St Paris Graham) at Campbell County Sept 14-15

Coach Jesse Leng, Assistant coach at St Paris Graham High School and Assistant Camp Director at the Jeff Jordan State Champ Camp will be at Campbell County for a clinic on Friday, September 14 and Saturday, September 15. The flyer is attached.

This camp will provide an opportunity to drill and wrestle with some of the best in KY as well as a few studs from across the river. Come out and learn some of the techniques that have produced the OH D2 State Champions for the last 12 years and 51 individual state champions over that time.

No pre-registration is required, but anyone interested in attending please email Coach Jason Moore at jason.moore@anthem.com to reserve your spot by Wednesday, September 12. Let me know if you have conflicts with football or other activities and we will work something out.

2012 Northern KY Preseason Clinic.doc

Football and homecoming ?

To be honest, not my concern. Kids can choose either way. For those playing football or who choose to go to homecoming, send me a note and plan to be there on Saturday.

At this point I have confirmation from almost every KY kid that plans to attend Super 32 (although many are slow in registering, including my boy) and a couple from OH that are already registered. It should be a really, really good room.

To be honest ? My only concern was for the kids ,those that play football at CC and everywhere else , and yes they can choose i guess if they wanted to quit football they could show up and im not sure how many football players are going to 32 its nearly impossible to do both BUT its not impossible to have a camp or practice at a time or days when everyone can come I'm not concerned with Homecoming but I am sure some kids are and I didn't realize this was a strictly super 32 camp

I must say I am not impressed with the way multi sport athletes are treated at some places perhaps there is an underlying problem good luck with your camp and to everyone going to super 32 , to be honest I guess anyone can do anything they want with something they are in control of and can reply to a simple ? Like isn't that a football game night and homecoming at the host school ?And by the way about half of cc starting lineup will be on the field Friday night ?

My short response wasn't directed so much at you Mpire, but basically at all of the politics involved with trying to do anything to better our kids and sport in general; particularly at Campbell County. It's not a Super32 camp and it's not that I don't care about the kids playing football, but this event is structured more for kids that are focused on wrestling right now. Can football players attend? Heck yeah. The more the merrier. But I'm not arranging things around them. And from my experience they won't attend no matter the schedule. If it was up to the football coaches those kids wouldn't step foot in the wrestling room even between November and December. So I think that multi sport treatment is much more an issue on the other side of the fence. I encourage all of the wrestlers I coach to play football and have been a part of convincing my fair share to continue playing when they were set on no longer playing football.

Ditto on that I would rather see my kids playing football going to practices everyday in a serious setting rather than the lax approach that comes with off season wrestling and open mats and i push kids to play as well .I agree the football take on wrestling is idiotic at best ,but in knowing how most football coaches feel about wrestling then that should be an even bigger reason for a wrestling coach to look out for the needs of th wrestlers playing football , but it's been my observation that people are afraid to tick off a football coach because they get all the hype , odd at CC though they are a ky powerhouse in wrestling with many wrestlers on the team .

I also find it odd you say you don't care about the kids playing football ,didn't you coach some of them ?

Seems to be an issue about multiple sports . Oddly enough in other states it's always brought up but really I noticed football coaches taking pride in having wrestlers on their teams and wrestling coaches taking pride in having football players they all considered themselves as good coaches helping out in different way and while there might be a few problems it was usually just something to gossip about not anything that really mattered like a coach benching a kid for missing a practice for doing a tournament or a wrestling coach doing the same to a kibwho played football and went to playoffs and showed up late in the season .

I guess the football teams can brag about having wrestlers when it sheds goo light on them then take it out on the wrestlers because they actually wrestle and get noticed ,

I was just thinking your school CC has three AAs on the football team and a few more starters, I care More about them because I know they are doing more same goes for the rest of the multi sport kids , they deserve better from both sports not less it's bs that they actually get grief for attempting more and I know for a fact many would show up . But I understand i guess it's a perk people like to think they get or give for being one sport athletes .

Never said I don't care. Ask any of those kids I coached (Mason, Matthews, Graziani) and they will tell you quite the opposite. And I'm not depriving the football players of any perks. So they miss the Friday night session. Show up on Saturday and get the most of the time available. Any reason that won't happen? My boy is a football player as well (7th grade). He will miss the Saturday morning session due to a football game. He doesn't get any special treatment either. Thems the breaks. Your logic about coaches supporting each other and their teams applies up until high school at CC. Has worked great on the middle school level for a number of years and is a big reason for our success in both sports at that level. Something happens once the kids ride that bus a few miles south on US 27. Mind boggling.

Sorry I thought you said you didn't care about the football kids wich was shocking I read it wrong on my little screen I guess , either way good luck with the camp the football players have games on fri and sat and film on sat morning doubt any could make it but they might make sat if it's later in the day , Danichek is a stud and the Gangers are as well Im not sure I know Robinson .

Mpire I can tell you this. You have not spent much time on this side of the river. Because there are very few football coaches in Northern Kentucky that support wrestling. Boone Co. lost their program years ago because of the football coach. Simon has had their problems. Conner (an old powerhouse) now is struggling because of the football coach. Campbell has had problems always with high school football coaches, as has Holmes and Dixie.

I'm not sure about the rest but the only Nky football coach that I can remember that supported wrestling was Stellman at Conner in the 80's and 90's.(He was also the Athletic Director and Assistant Wrestling Coach).

So you are correct there is some anomosity between the two sports. I'm not sure what happens to the football coaches on the South side of the Ohio River. It seems that football coaches on the Northern side (Ohio) see the benifits of wrestling where Ky football coaches don't. (one of the problems is that there are a lot of Boone Co and Highland grads coaching and Highlands never had one and Coach Hauck ran wrestling out of Boone Co)

Yes you obviously understand the situation some schools in Ohio excell in both and work well together but I'm not sure they all do it may be school to school or regional I do not know .

And a football coach coming from a school that never had wrestling would have no understanding of the sport of wrestling but a good one would learn to understand and respect it particularly when wrestlers are the most highly trained athletes in high school wether a football coach cares to admit it .

Having a bunch of coaches from schools who never had wrestling look at a kid who wrestles and ignorantly stereotype him as a lineman because that's what they have read or some other person just as lost on the subject told them that's how it was is hillarious , to them wrestling is not a team sport it's a totall individual sport they do not understand the concept of team that they so egotistically claim to be the guardians of , if they spent a week wrestling a kid who knew the sport they would see that when you train in wresting you are actually just as dependent on your teammate than a football player is , you drill with good partners you improve you drill with kids that are not your level you may improve but at no where near the pace ,

The main difference is the politics involved in the two , in wrestling you earn your spot in football a coach can be an egomaniacal dictator who puts everyone where he wants and can make any excuse he cares to in order to back his decision . Actually football is a much more individual sport that individual being , the coach .

Mpire and Ranger are from the same school, how come you can't pick up the phone and work these situations out privately instead of bickering like a couple of school girls on a public forum?

• Upvote 1

No one is bickering and it has actually been nice to see that others have close to the same take on the subject and that my own conspiracy theory oriented mind is not far off base, The history is enlightening and the cake as usual is bittersweet and not for the starving masses . CC has a great wrestling team and a good football team that will have trouble overshadowing its lesser followed and hailed school team sport because of the success it has and will have despite somes willingness to step aside and be overshadowed out of political or whatever reasons . I have never known a Highlands graduate that knew enough about wrestling in school that would not get pinned by a couple of CC kids I know . I doubt any know enough to understand what the sport is about after they have been out a while .

I was talking to a wrestling dad from Illinois and he said they didnt have much of a problem from football to wrestling . He thought one reason was because football started earlier and ended earlier than our season does. Their wrestling started later than ours does so there isnt as much of an overlap of seasons.That seems like it would help both sports.

My son missed the whole season of pre season training with his freshman Football team because of Fargo and there was not much of a problem other than the no pads rule for a couple weeks that i think is to make sure kids are in shape ,it ticked me off at the time but rules are rules and even though i thought they were a bit politically motivated at the time i noticed that a decent wrestler can hang with the best of football players even a 112 lber .

There is always two trains of thought if you make your kid choose you are being a bad parent and if you let them do both you are taking a shot of letting them lax in one sport ,i say keep them happy let them play whatever they want and your results will be better in the season burn them out and they may hate it and any sport is better than staying home playing Pokemon .Now if your kid is planning on going to college to wrestle or play football..........still let them do the other sports ,you only live once and why would you deprive your son of those memories making that tackle block or TD LOL im glad i talked mine into playing minus a super 32 or national tourny here or there i would rather him grow old and say hey i scored that TD my SR year or made that sack my Soph yr or whatever their case is ,I still do not like them missing open mats or camps because of scheduling conflicts though .i agree with Ranger talk them into playing encourage their efforts and dreams but still look out for them .the cross training may actually be better for some of the more experienced kids than the actual wrestling .

My son missed the whole season of pre season training with his freshman Football team because of Fargo and there was not much of a problem other than the no pads rule for a couple weeks that i think is to make sure kids are in shape ,it ticked me off at the time but rules are rules and even though i thought they were a bit politically motivated at the time i noticed that a decent wrestler can hang with the best of football players even a 112 lber .

There is always two trains of thought if you make your kid choose you are being a bad parent and if you let them do both you are taking a shot of letting them lax in one sport ,i say keep them happy let them play whatever they want and your results will be better in the season burn them out and they may hate it and any sport is better than staying home playing Pokemon .Now if your kid is planning on going to college to wrestle or play football..........still let them do the other sports ,you only live once and why would you deprive your son of those memories making that tackle block or TD LOL im glad i talked mine into playing minus a super 32 or national tourny here or there i would rather him grow old and say hey i scored that TD my SR year or made that sack my Soph yr or whatever their case is ,I still do not like them missing open mats or camps because of scheduling conflicts though .i agree with Ranger talk them into playing encourage their efforts and dreams but still look out for them .the cross training may actually be better for some of the more experienced kids than the actual wrestling .

Wholeheartedly agree

Otto I know this is a camp thread but times are slow , what do you think college coaches think of kids playing football do you think they frown on it and do you think kids simply do not play their upperclassmen years because they are working on wrestling or slacking before college ,I haven't really gotten a feel for how they feel unless they just remain silent because they are playing already or they simply hold their breath and hope they don't get hurt .

I can't speak for the college wrestling coaches, but I'm pretty certain that the football coaches at The Ohio State University encouraged Jordan Whiting to wrestle his senior year after he already had his football scholarship locked up. Coach Brown can confirm.

Now for the million dollar question and this has been discussed on other forums about the very school you mentioned , will they encourage him to try and wrestle in college or would they if he could ,you see there is a big difference keeping him busy and working on his skills wrestling before college was not really supporting wrestling they just wanted their guy getting work in if he could manage both in college would they want it , and this leads to a really neat scenario if a kid could get a football scholarship and was a stud wrestler it could open up a wrestling scholarship for someone else , that's the goal .

Don't know about that. And we will never know with Jordan as I believe he has transferred to U of L. I'm betting there are too many $ tied to those football scholarships to take the chance that they might chip a nail doing something else. Although I bet the football coaches up at Minnesota had to get Lesnar out on practice field at some point hoping to discover the next Carlton Haselrig.

I am not up on some things I guess I have no clue who Carlton Haselrig is , but I know an OH state champ that did bith sports in college for a short while . Tony Johnson wrestled for Lakota and was a standout football player a back, not a lineman ding ding ding ding ding ,so it can be done and what an accomplishment it would be to finish all 4 yrs in each sport or could you redshirt one yr in one and another in the other who knows it brings up a lot of scenarios , It would be great to see someone try it and accomplish it regardless of where they were attending school but for full effect it would have to be D1 .

I can't speak for the college wrestling coaches, but I'm pretty certain that the football coaches at The Ohio State University encouraged Jordan Whiting to wrestle his senior year after he already had his football scholarship locked up. Coach Brown can confirm.

Both Coach Tressel and Coach Fickell told me they were happy to have Jordan wrestle his Senior year.

This was after they watched a dual with us and Floyd Central.At one point there was an article online where Coach Fickell

talked of recruiting kids who wrestled (btw, Luke Fickell is considered one of, if not the best high school hwt. in Ohio history)

Come on Mpire, thought for sure you would be in the know on this one...

Carlton Haselrig - won 2 PA state titles even though he didn't wrestle during the regular season because his high school didn't have a team; won world junior titles in both freestyle and greco; only person to win 6 NCAA titles in wrestling (3 D2 and 3 D1); despite NOT playing college football he became a Pro Bowl offensive guard for the Pittsburgh Steelers

Wth 6 NCAA titles is that even allowed , are you serious , well I guess you learn something everyday sounds like a beast ....... Or a cartoon character .

Hey Ranger I know a freshman that won a state title with only a handful of matches under his belt and none a couple months before state . Then won a freshman national title a couple weeks later lol too bad he's a wrestler perhaps if he wasn't he would get the props for being the running back and linebacker he is and all his former teams know he is rather than getting stereotyped as a lineman for being a big wrestler by a bunch of people who know absolutely nothing whatsoever about wrasslin because they can from

Schools without it , I tried showing those cake eaters a thing or two about it when i was there but they never caught on .