Sign in to follow this  
Mpire

Schools Adding wrestling

I have noticed some of the bigger or better known schools as far as athletics in N KY do not have wrestling ,Cov Cath .NCC ,Highlands,is it the same acros the whole state and it seems that there would be a movement to get these and other schools to add wrestling .the whole Wrestling interferes with football thing is ridiculous its actually the opposite .

It also seems as if there would be at least one club team in Northern Ky and im not talking about the school club teams a real club would probably do very well in KY .

• Upvote 3

I guess thats possible but i find it hard to believe as a sport ,wrestling is much cheaper than football and other sports although it does not produce the revenue of Football .I just think the bigger schools that obviously have the capabilities of having wrestling would want to offer it to their kids ,I didnt mean to focus on the North not trying to create a power imbalance or anything i was just commenting on the area i live in and asking if it was the same across the state.didnt know title 9 affected wrestling anymore than any other sports .

I guess thats possible but i find it hard to believe as a sport ,wrestling is much cheaper than football and other sports although it does not produce the revenue of Football .I just think the bigger schools that obviously have the capabilities of having wrestling would want to offer it to their kids ,I didnt mean to focus on the North not trying to create a power imbalance or anything i was just commenting on the area i live in and asking if it was the same across the state.didnt know title 9 affected wrestling anymore than any other sports .

Most people/schools/admin forget that wrestling is a co-ed sport!!

• Upvote 2

Mpire: One of the HUGE differences between Ky and other states is how football coaches view wrestling. I'm not saying it is all the football coaches in KY but it is a high number.

We all know as wrestlers/parents/coaches/fans that wrestling will help football in numerous ways. Boone Co. lost their program years ago because of their legendary coach Houk. Even at good ole Campbell their are coaches that frown on wrestling. I've heard it 1st hand from my son.

Conner has had difficulty since their new football coach arrived. He frowns on wrestling, I knew this before he went to Conner.

Highland has never had wrestling and you should know that town lives for football and football only, with a dash of basketball. NCC had a team years ago, Cov Cath was rumored to have a middle school program starting because of a coach that wrestled in Ohio, but it didn't happen for some reason.

If you want a good example of how football and wrestling go hand in hand look at Central High School both programs are doing very well now that the coach is doing both.

IMO, anyone who thinks wrestling doesn't help football... go grab up a lineman that wrestled for a few years. Call me when he let's you up.lol Btw, google how mahy NFL players wrestled. And I remember reading an article about the offensive coordinater for Ohio State... he said one of the first things he looks for in new recruits is if they wrestled or not. I think the big problem with some fb coaches not liking wrestling is they think all wrestlers cut big weight, and fb guys want you as big as possible. What I think they fail to realize is if your 280 lb lineman loses 20lbs while lifting and running, he'll only be stronger and faster. 20lbs of fat helps no man.

• Upvote 1

I know what title 9 is Josh Claywell LOL that was my point it shouldnt affect the choice for wrestling anymore than football ,You forget we are at CC i remember seeing a girl wrestle there a couple yrs back ,so CC never forgot i dont think a lot of teams would mind as much as people think .

I think the football wrestling thing clashes in other states to but its very strange to me you take an undersised 9 yr old wrestler and throw him on a football team and watch him make jokes of everyone when it comes to tackling and drills its hillarious no better hitters no better conditioned and no Quicker and by quickness i mean all around not your 40 speed .

I think the bigger schools are afraid of looking bad when starting a new program your going to take your lumps ,big mistake for a football coach to snub his nose at wrestling .

I remember at Colerain where Football is GOD coaches were cordial to the wrestlers but you could tell there was no respect from the football kids to the wrestlers and that was funny to me because a good wrestler should dump the best football player on his head in that situation ,

So is football considered a coed sport in KY ?

I really don't think Title IX is the issue in most cases, especially at medium to large schools like Ballard, Male (which has it now), etc.. Volleyball is the offset sport for wrestling at most schools. Field hockey for football. Every other male sport has a female sport counterpart.

Regarding medium to large schools that don't have wrestling - Most schools don't want to dedicate the space to wrestling for a mat room, they certainly don't want to give up the gym, and there is an initial cost for a mat that must be covered and wrestling doesn't generate much revenue. Plus, if there is space that could be dedicated to wrestling, there are coaches in other sports that want that space and those sports already exist within the school. In some cases of schools that once had prominent wrestling programs, football coaches came in and took the wrestling space for their football team.

Football coaches that don't like their players wrestling usually have 3 problems with it. The first is cutting weight, the second is the weight room time that wrestlers miss when they are wrestling. Both are absurd reasons, but it's all about perception. And the last is inuries, which is the most ridiculous reason I have heard coming from a football coach. It's not hard to find outstanding HS football players in the state of Kentucky that wrestled. JJ Jude, Mister Cobble, and Jordan Tenyson come to mind.

Very nice points pinthis you seem to have nailed down some of the issues ,now people should clear up the misconceptions and do something to make the sport more popular and lucrative for schools ,after all that is what will be the main sticking point when it comes down to it .I think if people could see how youth teams and tournaments generate funds as well as more and bigger tournaments for Jr

high and High school teams they might change their opinions .

Going out on a limb with the popularity of MMA, wrestling could take a giant leap forward considering it is the main component for doing well in that sport the interest in it is widespread although watered down to the point of making it less than what it could be perhaps it is simply a matter of promotion and using all the tools and the publics percetion of wrestling to the right advantage in order to help the sport grow.

In other words do not let other sports down play the importance benifits or legitamacy of the oldest sport in the world Give it the image it deserves and has earned give its champions the respect they deserve Make it more appealing whatever it takes ,The most common thing you hear about the sport in the general public is no one wants to wear a singlet ,nothing about the tremendous amount of work or the excitement of a good match and spectacular moves a great wrestler can hit .

Whats strange is wrestling is actually closer to MMA than Boxing yet never reached anywhere near the fame or popularity of that sport other than in a sideshow setting like Pro wrestling .It just seems that somewhere along the line in history wrestling got a raw deal "probably because it is also the hardest sport in the world"and perhaps with changing times it can get back to what it was meant to be ,it seems the oldest sport in the world should be the most popular .

Some promotion for wrestling may have already started,although not how we would have expected. The mainstream media has included wrestling in recent TV shows and movies (The Middle, Suburgatory, Diary of a Whimpy Kid), which is a good start and long overdue. I've also seen it on some of the young teen shows my kids watch on Disney and Nick.

I have always thought that it would be pretty cool to see wrestling featured during half- time of a HS basketball game. Have the mats ready to go, roll them out, tape them down, then wrestle a couple of matches with wrestlers from each of the schools. Maybe just 1 minute periods. Have the announcer call the points when they're scored since most people don't understand and to create more excitement.

Last year we had a Saturday dual against a rival school that had just added wrestling that season. It was the last Saturday before regionals and we had a pretty nice crowd. People were saying that if they knew it was that good, they would have come to more matches. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Nice thinking outside the box but i doubt very many Basketball Coaches are going to promote a sport that competes directly with it as far as the season goes.I do think Ryle and some of the other schools have done a great job promoting the sport I know its very well known in CC and has a good fan base as far as parents, and with Schools like Walton Verona adding great coaches and with Parents who are helping their youth kids become great wrestlers today and in the future it should gain popularity It would be nice to see some of the other bigger schools work on their programs and of course add some ,i think the key is getting the Football coaches and fans into wrestling they are contact sports and work synergistically together .

I do like how KY can unite a state team and everyone kind of comes on board and gets behind it im sure other states do as well but there is always a bit of bickering between whatever longitude or latitude city pride this and that ,Ky seems to respect good kids wherever they are from after a point its very good for the sport it will make it easier to promote and for the youth kids to say hey i want to be like this kid or that not just a kid from his region or area at least its that way with the few people i talk to they are all students of the sport who admire all the wrestlers but respect the best even that much more .

I see stars coming up in the WV and CC programs i know SK with its tradition and Ryle with its eye on making their program top notch along with some of the newer programs like Newport and Grant co who have great talent will keep wrestling where it is and improve it even more if things stay headed where they are but it would be great to see it take even bigger leaps forward to get where it should be here and i would imagine everywhere in the state ,Promote the events promote the Champs make it what it deserves .

I know what title 9 is Josh Claywell LOL that was my point it shouldnt affect the choice for wrestling anymore than football ,You forget we are at CC i remember seeing a girl wrestle there a couple yrs back ,so CC never forgot i dont think a lot of teams would mind as much as people think .

I think the football wrestling thing clashes in other states to but its very strange to me you take an undersised 9 yr old wrestler and throw him on a football team and watch him make jokes of everyone when it comes to tackling and drills its hillarious no better hitters no better conditioned and no Quicker and by quickness i mean all around not your 40 speed .

I think the bigger schools are afraid of looking bad when starting a new program your going to take your lumps ,big mistake for a football coach to snub his nose at wrestling .

I remember at Colerain where Football is GOD coaches were cordial to the wrestlers but you could tell there was no respect from the football kids to the wrestlers and that was funny to me because a good wrestler should dump the best football player on his head in that situation ,

So is football considered a coed sport in KY ?

I didn't say that to you, mpire. I was talking to eaglewrestler.

I would like to see N. KY Univ add wrestling. I know it has been discussed before and theres always reasons they wont but .....

The school is going through a lot of changes in programs and people running things have changed too.

I havent heard of any efforts lately is the timing any better for NKU?

Would be great for a State school to be able to offer DII or DI program and kids a chance to stay in state and wrestle while going to college.

• Upvote 1

Yes i heard they would be D1 if they had wrestling it would be awesome ,

well you said "Title 9 affects all sports Mpire"

I do know what it is but i would admitt i do not have a complete grasp of exactly how and wHAT IT EFFECTS AND KNOWING THE WAY HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS ARE IT PROBABLY CHANGES YR TO YR .

Bellermine would be a great place to start, too bad UL doesnt have a program, The AD there had a son place in our state tournament and He himself had a good time going to our state tournament

• Upvote 1

It would great to add any collegiate wrestling program in KY but Bellarmine is private too the same as CU and UC. Both great options but more expensive than a state school for instate students. I still want to see a state school offer wrestling as a NCAA sport. How about these options, EKU, NKU, Louisville, Murray State, UK, WKU, certainly one of these schools could add wrestling so the KY HS kids have an more affordable option.

Yes i heard they would be D1 if they had wrestling it would be awesome ,

well you said "Title 9 affects all sports Mpire"

I do know what it is but i would admitt i do not have a complete grasp of exactly how and wHAT IT EFFECTS AND KNOWING THE WAY HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS ARE IT PROBABLY CHANGES YR TO YR .

I misread your post, mpire. My bad.

The best way to get a wrestling program started is Going through the NCWA. That's what I did at Austin Peay and so has other schools. Just because it is not a "sanctioned" sport does not mean people's options are limited to UC,CU and LWC. I know for a fact some NCWA programs offer scholarships and the competition is very

Competitive. U of Central Florida, Apprentice School and Grand Valley State are very good teams and have beaten D-3, NAIA and I believe a D-2 school.

If anyone wants information on how to get a program started DM me and I can point you in the

Right direction.

No problem I'm not totally sure how it all works anyway all I know Is it's supposed to give equal opportunities to girls and a lot of people got ticked off about it , sure it has a lot to do with scholarships I have seen some girls wrestle that were tough as crap in school usually they do well as youth and hit a wall in jr high , Mary Kelly worked a lot with my oldest son in eight grade and a little after it was awesome he was very sharp and they were great partners very impressive I have no problem with it both my kids lost to girls as youth and have wrestled them a few times each I just noticed as they got older they wrestled some girls that were very good but generics or whatever take over I don't know how it should be handled girls should get to wrestle girls I guess maybe practice with the boys but wrestle girls in comp who knows its not even something that I care to comment about they cannot beat the top kids I don't care what anyone says or story anyone tells there may be a phenom or two but not in general .

I'm way behind on this thread, but I have the powerpoint on how wrestling can benefit football and skills that transfer over. It was presented at the coaches assoc. clinic last year. Email me if you think you my might want it. marcus.hoehn@union.kyschools.us