Sign in to follow this  
kdsmith27

Goals and the Work Necessary to Achieve Them

Goals and the Work Necessary to Achieve Them

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.

It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

Setting goals is an important activity for an athlete. However, equally important, is the effort that one is willing to expand in order to achieve those goals. Goals without effort are meaningless. The following guidelines should be kept in mind when setting goals:

1. The more challenging the goal, the harder the individual must work to achieve it.
  2. Set specific goals and a target date for their completion.
  3. Set both short and long-term goal.
  4. Write down the goals and place them where they will be clearly visible. This will help reinforce what you are trying to accomplish.
  5. Share the goals with someone - people who know your goals can help motivate you.
  6. Believe in the goals - adopt an "I can" rather than "I think I can" mindset.
  7. Remind athletes of their goals. Talk with them and make sure they are on track.
  8. Set goals that will help improve your performance; work on the things that will make you better.
  9. Goals should be challenging, difficult, but never too difficult or impossible to achieve. That can be discouraging. Remember, success is a powerful motivator. Every athlete needs at least a taste of it.

Circle the Goals you want to achieve and, more importantly, the Work you're willing to do to achieve them.

GOALS

WILLING TO DO

Make the team

Get to practice every day

Start for the JV

Proper diet and sleep

Winning JV record

Practice moves early or late

Start for the varsity

Lift weights

Winning varsity record

Running program