Sign in to follow this  
KYgrappler

Campbell vs the world

With the new developments up in Reg 6. do you all expect Campbell to not exactly be well received by general fans this weekend?

Not advocating anything, just asking.

I remember in the past years of dominance (late 90's) it used to be everyone vs Woodford when it came to cheering, and when a Woodford wrestler was upset or down in points the whole arena would wake up and get loud. It can really affect the outcome of a match, in my opinion. Do you expect the same treatment for the Camels??

Should be an interesting weekend to say the least.

Good luck wrestlers. Leave it all on the mat.

There were no signs of that at the Region 6 tournament. I would hope the more southern regions of the state will show the same grace and sportsmanship as us northerners.

• Upvote 1

That is just human nature. Too bad because I was really looking forward to rooting against Larue. That being said, one of the most disgusting things I have ever witnessed was the booing of a young man from Woodford County. Everyone knew the kid's story but, no child deserves that kind of treatment.

Stay Classy, Kentucky

~Ron Burgandy

• Upvote 2

Well isn’t that touchy. People from the North are full of those “warm and fuzzies” while us ol’haller folk get down right rude. Pour me a river. As for the Campbell Co. issue, there is always Karma. What comes around goes around. I have no respect for the KHSAA regardless of the state outcomes. The rules should apply to all fairly and equally; that is my opinion. But please can we move on????? Campbell Co. vs the world... that is a joke. I guess now their the underdog an we should feel sorry for them, well I don't.

• Upvote 1

I'm not from Woodford, but I remember those "Woodford vs. the World" days. It was not that people hated Woodford, it was that they were a dominant program and their kids had that little "swagger" when they arrived in the auditorium. Something like the Miami Heat right now. People just like to root for the underdog and root against the heavily favored. It often made for an electric atmosphere in the finals and a very energetic crowd...including that large contingent of Yellow Jackets with their glowing necklaces.

By the way, I remember some of those same fans who were rooting against Woodford at state down in Nashville rooting FOR them to beat kids from Father Ryan, Baylor and Clarksville, since we were all representing Kentucky against tough out of state competition.

Look, this is good for the sport, increases participation and makes the state wrestling tournament a premier high school event.

And, it makes the tournament a lot more fun!

I do think Campbell County may face that crowd reaction, since they will now be favored to win.

...better not overlook Larue and Union County folks. 3 or 4 champions might not win the team title this year...

I do think Campbell County may face that crowd reaction, since they will now be favored to win.
Let's be for real. It's not as much that they are favorites it's HOW they became favorites...
  • Upvote 1

Let's be for real. It's not as much that they are favorites it's HOW they became favorites...

And just HOW did they do it? People need to get over it. KHSAA released the kids. The kids sat and watched practice for almost 2 weeks before they were released. It is ridiculous to think that Mike Bankemper went and grabbed these kids off the "streets" and had them enroll at CCHS and know they would be released. KHSAA could have released them sooner and chose not too.

I would also like to add, no one (wrestler wise) at CCHS had a problem with these 2 joining the team UNTIL Stephen beat the Bachman kid. It is funny how this all blew up after that.

People need to grow up. If people have a problem with someone have a problem with the KHSAA not the kids who are innocent in all of this. These kids (not just the Myers boys) have worked their tails off this whole year and to be booed is about as ridiculous as anything. Grow up people!

• Upvote 1

And just HOW did they do it? People need to get over it. KHSAA released the kids. The kids sat and watched practice for almost 2 weeks before they were released. It is ridiculous to think that Mike Bankemper went and grabbed these kids off the "streets" and had them enroll at CCHS and know they would be released. KHSAA could have released them sooner and chose not too.

I would also like to add, no one (wrestler wise) at CCHS had a problem with these 2 joining the team UNTIL Stephen beat the Bachman kid. It is funny how this all blew up after that.

People need to grow up. If people have a problem with someone have a problem with the KHSAA not the kids who are innocent in all of this. These kids (not just the Myers boys) have worked their tails off this whole year and to be booed is about as ridiculous as anything. Grow up people!

Couldnt Agree more. The race for team title is going to be tough. I still haven't seen any proof that Campbell county is the front runner. According to ranger Larue is going to win.

To be clear, I'm indifferent. Just acknowledging the "elephant in the room".

You were the one who said this: "Let's be for real. It's not as much that they are favorites it's HOW they became favorites..." so my question to you is, HOW did they do it? Your comment did not sound indifferent to me, it sounds like you want to say something but just won't do it.

Two wrestlers on a team do not make that much of an impact. Cambell County was a good team before the Myers joined, the Myers only added to the depth. I will say this... having two Nationally ranked guys at upper and lower weight will for sure affect the rest of the team in the practice room. Wrestling guys at that level will only make you better, so I would look for them to be very tough next year and so on. Good luck to all, and you guys play nice now.

• Upvote 1

No one said anything about BOOing the CC kids, its more about cheering loud for their opponents.

I could be wrong but I don't think Larue, trinity, ryle or union ever garnered the angst of the KY fans like Woodford did for so many years. Just wondering if CC will now take over the mantle of "most disliked program."

And lets be real, I don't think anyone has anything against the Myers boys, I'm sure their fine young men, it's more the ridiculous behaviour of their father on this forum over the last few months and the fact that the CC coaches took them as transfers mid-season....something that, as far as I know, is unprecedented in KY HS sports.

You were the one who said this: "Let's be for real. It's not as much that they are favorites it's HOW they became favorites..." so my question to you is, HOW did they do it? Your comment did not sound indifferent to me, it sounds like you want to say something but just won't do it.

How did they do it? Simple, they had two transfers come in at the end of the season. It's a fact. All I'm saying is I don't think this "Campbell vs The World" mentality came about because they ARE favorites but more so HOW they became favorites. Don't read anymore into it than that.

Unlike most, I use my actual full name on here so that should show you that I'm not afraid to stand by my statements.

You know, why is it that the best teams are disliked? Envy is a strong emotion when not put in check. Any true athlete with skill and ability will look to higher level athletes with an approving nod and strive to one day be at that level. If you're a parent in the stands at State and you cheer against Cambell County or Larue ect just because they're better than your team... shame on ya.

How did they do it? Simple, they had two transfers come in at the end of the season. It's a fact. All I'm saying is I don't think this "Campbell vs The World" mentality came about because they ARE favorites but more so HOW they became favorites. Don't read anymore into it than that.

Unlike most, I use my actual full name on here so that should show you that I'm not afraid to stand by my statements.

No doubt the Myers addition will make a big impact, but by making that statement you are in fact discounting the rest of the team. I'm going to say here and now I believe the Myers will win it all this weekend. But what's the rest of the team going to do? I gaurentee they won't be sitting at home playing x box. The team as a whole will win the title, if they do in fact win it at all. Good luck Camels. I for one will be rootin for you guys. ALL of you.

• Upvote 2

No doubt the Myers addition will make a big impact, but by making that statement you are in fact discounting the rest of the team. I'm going to say here and now I believe the Myers will win it all this weekend. But what's the rest of the team going to do? I gaurentee they won't be sitting at home playing x box. The team as a whole will win the title, if they do in fact win it at all. Good luck Camels. I for one will be rootin for you guys. ALL of you.

Not discounting them at all. They have a great group of wrestlers. I just happen to look at facts. At the end of the day subtract the points the Myers accrue and I bet their place is quite different....

The late season transfers are what will have people cheering against CC, if they do in fact do so. That is all I'm saying. Anyone who thinks different needs to come look at this great deal I have on ocean-front property here in Louisville.

If CC wins by more than 40 (which will never happen) it would not have mattered anyway! I still feel that Larue is the team to beat followed closely by union and campbell. We should have a great tournament and I feel bad for anyone who misses the action on Friday!!!!!!

You know, why is it that the best teams are disliked? Envy is a strong emotion when not put in check. Any true athlete with skill and ability will look to higher level athletes with an approving nod and strive to one day be at that level. If you're a parent in the stands at State and you cheer against Cambell County or Larue ect just because they're better than your team... shame on ya.

You understand what it means to be a sports fan? Its OK to not cheer for everyone equally, this isn't a preschool game of duck duck goose. I have my favorite team but I also pull for Henry Clay bc I like their coaches and attitudes of their wrestlers and I've always admired the Union program and how they carried themselves even after huge success. Other programs I won't mention, well not so much, either their coaches or wrestlers of the past have rubbed me the wrong way and I still hold that grudge, deserved or not. That's what makes wrestling, and sports in general, great.

Stalling, come on, first you state yesterday that two wrestler don't make that much of an impact. Then today you state No doubt the Myers will make a big impact?!?!?! What are you 12 yrs old or running for Congress!

Duck duck goose? Funny. Being a part of a very succeful program, I see people root against us all the time. For us sports fans that are on top notch teams, we have to kinda chuckle a little. But to root against a team because they are one of the better programs, well..,that's just silly. Reminds me of Saturday morning wrestling rooting against the bad guy because,well, you're supposed to.I never said root for everyone equally, just don't root against someone because they're better than you. So, while were all going to be at state and sectionals this weekend cheering on some great kids striving to beat the best, Ill think of you eatin a bowl of cereal on the couch rooting for whoever wrestles against The Undertaker.

Stalling, come on, first you state yesterday that two wrestler don't make that much of an impact. Then today you state No doubt the Myers will make a big impact?!?!?! What are you 12 yrs old or running for Congress!

As someone else posted earlier, they aren't going to make such an impact as to drastically effect the outcome of the top thre placing teams. I did say that the Myers will have a big impact in the practice room. I may be twelve, but my reading comprhension skills seem to be far superior to yours.

You understand what it means to be a sports fan? Its OK to not cheer for everyone equally, this isn't a preschool game of duck duck goose. I have my favorite team but I also pull for Henry Clay bc I like their coaches and attitudes of their wrestlers and I've always admired the Union program and how they carried themselves even after huge success. Other programs I won't mention, well not so much, either their coaches or wrestlers of the past have rubbed me the wrong way and I still hold that grudge, deserved or not. That's what makes wrestling, and sports in general, great.

I don't have a problem with someone NOT rooting for a team because they have their favorites, but to boo a team because you disagree with what the situation that is going on right now at CCHS is quite childish in my opinion. I know your response was not to me, but just throwing in my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

I don't have a problem with someone NOT rooting for a team because they have their favorites, but to boo a team because you disagree with what the situation that is going on right now at CCHS is quite childish in my opinion. I know your response was not to me, but just throwing in my 2 cents.

Exactly.

Duck duck goose? Funny. Being a part of a very succeful program, I see people root against us all the time. For us sports fans that are on top notch teams, we have to kinda chuckle a little. But to root against a team because they are one of the better programs, well..,that's just silly. Reminds me of Saturday morning wrestling rooting against the bad guy because,well, you're supposed to.I never said root for everyone equally, just don't root against someone because they're better than you. So, while were all going to be at state and sectionals this weekend cheering on some great kids striving to beat the best, Ill think of you eatin a bowl of cereal on the couch rooting for whoever wrestles against The Undertaker.

I was part of a state title team and the crowds cheered heavily against my team at regionals and state. Never bothered me a bit. Actually I think I benefited from it. Same thing when I wrestled in college.

And this keeps popping up so I'll say it again. I NEVER condone booing a HS athlete. There is a difference in booing a and cheering for or pulling for an underdog, big difference.