Sign in to follow this  
bigedcoach

Eliminating Middle School Wrestlers from High School teams

Absolutely not. Reason #1, they help some high school teams fill their line ups. No matter the kids age, if he is the toughest kid in that room at that weight, he deserves the opportunity. Reason #2, Joe Carr Jr. Reason #3 Coty Lewis. Reason #4 Harrison Courtney. Etc,etc,etc. The list goes on and on. Kentucky has had many middle school guys do well at State. The only person that is at a disadvantage is the junior or senior that gets thumped by a middle school kid. I say if they choose to step up, let em.

As the mother of a middle schooler participating in the State Tournament....I feel that he has worked just as hard and maybe harder than the older kids to earn his spot. He deserves to be there.

No one has said he doesn't.

Middle schoolers are not allowed to compete on the varsity level in football or soccer, and those are high-contact sports like wrestling. Those rules are in place for their safety. The same could be (notice I said "could") applied to wrestling, but it probably never will be because it would hurt the sport in the long run.

Leave it alone. In the long run, we'll continue to grow the wrestling, younger kids will gain experience and in a few more years both the Middle and High school level will increase with talent and numbers which means everyone gets better. THen we will see fewer middle school kids at the Varsity level. THose that are talented enough will be OK.

Then why does Indiana , Ohio, and other states not allow it or even Jefferson Co. in Ky

Bigger schools that can fill 14 weight classes....it's as simple as that. Kentucky schools cannot even do that now....

Then why does Indiana , Ohio, and other states not allow it or even Jefferson Co. in Ky

I know Ohio has three Div, I believe Indiana has three as well. Either state, any division has more wrestlers than all the KY teams put together....... Look at how many high schools DON't have wrestling in KY; they talk about splitting big and little school now. We'd be luck (I don't think we can) get 16 kids with winning records in every weigh class just for big and little school (Division). Heck currently most regions have 4th place kids with losing records going to state. How many do you see in Ohio or Indiana!!!

Kentucky only has 90-some schools that even offer wrestling. Ohio, like said above, is divided into three divisions. Indiana is classified as well, IIRC.

In my area alone, we have two schools -- Fort Knox and North Hardin -- that don't have a full lineup of 14 wrestlers. Coaches use the middle schoolers -- no matter how good -- to fill their lineups.

Indiana is 1 class in wrestling

I stand corrected, I should have completed my home work before posting, I bet IN has more high school kids above or below Indianapolis interstate 70 than KY? I'll even bet, Indiana has more middle school teams above or below than KY has total middle school teams? I understand safety my son wrestled varsity as a 7th and 8th grade. What do you say when he beat the high school kids and your school doesn't have a middle school program? Sorry son, I'm not lucky enough to have employment in quality program like Union, LaRue, Woodford, Ryle, Cambell County, Wayne. I tried to identity the better programs in the state not to offend anyone.

If the middle school kid can handle it more power to him. Like Geordon Blanton this year won his region and Sam Griffith placed second for JC in region 8.

Indiana has more middle school programs than Kentucky has high school programs. It's a Big 10 state and in those states, wrestling is huge. Kentucky is growing just fine in terms of wrestling so I say leave it be for now. Also, age may play a part in concern for middle school wrestlers wrestling high school level, but unlike other sports, size does not. A 113 lber is still a 113 lber if he's an 8th grader or senior. Strength might be another story, but weight is not.

I don't like it, probably because I grew up in a place where it's not a possibility.

Why the rush? Although there are countless kids who can handle it, that's a lot of pressure for a middle schooler. Also, I'm not sure the environment of a HS wrestling team is the best place for a 12-13 year old. You are talking about drastically different levels of maturity between 17-18 year olds and middle schoolers.

It's unfair too the middle school kids at other schools. If 8th graders at Campbell County are wrestling varsity but the kid at Ryle can't due to an 11th grader being at the weight the CC wrestler gets an unfair developmental advantage (stretching here a bit, I admit.)

I say eliminate 106 and one of the heavier weights anyway. 14 is too many classes. It's probably not going to change anytime soon though.

Your best middle school kids can compete with the majority of high school kids at same weight in lower classes , not sure above 113 .i think it gives middle school kids something to work for .

WOW! Take a state that has been working its tail off to promote a sport and has been doing a great job, then take away this youth option. Good luck bigedcoach.

There were a few years in KY when they did not allow middle school kids to wrestle varsity, up till 99 i believe.

They changed it because teams were really struggling to fill line ups.

As for the middle school kids in a high school environment. It doesn't matter if they are wrestling varsity or middle school they are probably in the same wrestling room at the same time in most schools.

Does anyone know why its not allowed in Jefferson Co.? Seems to put those kids at a disadvantage, they are not even allowed to scrimmage against the high schoolers during the regular season.

Okay, here is my take on this: Yes, there is a maturity gap between 7th-8th graders and high school seniors. There is also a maturity gap between freshmen and seniors. But I would argue that there is not a major gap between middle school kids and freshmen in high school. So if a 14-15 year old freshman can wrestle with an 18 year old senior, then why can't a 13-14 year old 8th grader? And in most cases, these middle school wrestlers are at weights that are predominantly occupied by freshmen and sophomores. My second argument is that most of the middle school kids who make varsity are superior wrestlers. Many others have named names like Mark Hall, Joe Carr jr., Josh Johnson, Brock Ervin, and I would add Josh Cooper to that list. These boys were all either state champs or state runners up at their respective weight classes. Furthermore, they all achieved this feat at no heavier than the 119lb. class. These aren't pre-teens going toe-to-toe with Richard Starks or Taylor Shearer. They are wrestling kids much closer to their age and physical development. And finally, most middle school kids won't make varsity, but the ones who do are talented and deserve the opportunity.

Man, you guys can find anything to whine about. Really, KY is lucky to have MS wrestlers being able to compete at the HS level. Trust me, when these MS kids go to OH and whip up on their HS kids, they complain just like everyone of you that have had your kid beat by a MS kid. Quit whinning and train your HS kids better. No one deserves anything...you have to work for it.

• Upvote 1