Sign in to follow this  
Bluesdad

Kentucky Elementary Tournament (Johnson Central High School)

Johnson Central will be hosting the Elementary State Championships on Saturday March 3rd. Weigh ins from 7:30 to 9 wrestling will begin at 10am. Entry fee will only be $5.00 per wrestler. A flyer will be posted shortly with more info.

the true elementary state is this weekend at the horse park. If this one at johnson central is like the last one there you'll weighin at 8 but won't wrestle until 5.

To avoid any confusion, I wanted to clear the air here. The "official" Youth State Wrestling Tournament will be Sunday, February 19th @ the Horse Park. I posted the tournament information in the events category, but here is the information again.

2012 KY Youth Wrestling

State Tournament

Sunday February 19, 2012

Alltech Arena / 4089 Iron Works Parkway / Lexington, Kentucky 40511

Eligibility:

1. Must be at least 5 years old before 1/1/2012 and no older than 12 years old by 12/31/2011.

2. Must wrestle in one of the 2011 KYSWA Regional Tournaments and be a permanent KY Resident.

3. Must be a current USA Wrestling Member and registered on trackwrestling.com

* This is a USA Wrestling Sanctioned event.

* $10 USA KY League Card required and your teams trackwrestling roster will be verified at your Regional Weigh-in and with Keith Smith before the state tournament.

1. Team Roster due no later than Sunday, February 12th at 10pm.

2. The Regional Host and/or Rep is responsible for submitting the roster.

3. The roster must be submitted in an Excel Spreadsheet via E-mail to Luke Tucker wltucker@hotmail.com in an Excel Spreadsheet - Wrestlers Name (Last, First), Team, Weight, Birth Year A blank spread sheet with the headings to use will be sent.

4. No late entries will be allowed.

Weigh-in:

1. Weights from Weigh-ins at your Regional Tournament will be used. Do not round weights up or down.

2. All wrestlers are subject to a Weigh-in Challenge.

Age & Weight Classes:

1. Grouped by Birth Year and no more than 10% weight difference

2. Birth Year Groups: 1999/2000 2001/2002 2003/2004 2005/2006

Schedule:

Session 1 Birth Years 1999/2000 and 2005/2006

Wrestler and Coach Check-In from 7:30am 8:30am

Wrestling from 9:00am 12:30pm

Session 2 Birth Years 2001/2002 and 2003/2004

Wrestler and Coach Check-In from 7:30am 1:00pm

Wrestling from 1:30 5:00pm

Format:

1. Double Elimination; Three (3) Sixty (60) Second Periods (for all wrestling).

2. Eight-Man Brackets; Round Robins for four (4) or less.

Awards: Individuals 1st- 4th Team Trophies 1st- 8th

Entry Fee:

1. $13 per wrestler - not refundable-make check payable to CKYWL

2. Each team must pay with one check for all kids that were submitted from the Regional at Check-In at the State Tournament. Check needs to be handed in at wrestler check in at 7:30am.

Admission:

1. Adults: $6 Students: $3

2. Five (5) Coaches for up to thirty (30) wrestlers; each additional ten (10) wrestlers allows one (1) additional Coach.

No one will be allowed on the tournament floor without a coaching band.

Team Scoring:

1st 4 points

2nd 3 points

3rd 2 points

4th 1 point

All top 4 place finishers will score points for their team

hope they have true weight classes. 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, etc, etc,ect.......do not like the 10% weight classes, the heavier weights can have to geat a difference. We wrestled in tennessee all year and it works great. And dont say they were small tournaments. The smallest was 411 kids and the largest was 682 on full mats.

Our boys from JC will be at Lexington this weekend aswell. Looking forward to a great tournament. But there are a few things I would change about it. I would go to straight weights 50, 55, 60, 65 etc. Or 58, 61, 64, etc like the national tournaments. I would like to see 16 man brackets instead of 8 when possible. I would also like to see a bullpen for upcoming matches to stage kids in. But most of all i would love to see Ky start taking only the top 4 out of each region and seed the tourney. But they dont even seed the HS tourney so thats not happening i guess. I've had my son at many many tournaments in WV, PA, OH that were ran this way and it works great.

The small tournament (411) was larger than the two we wrestled in ky. The 682 was only a bit smaller than the state in ky last year. My son has also been in 2 32 man bracket tournaments and 4 16 man. Tell me where this happens in ky.

No where, thats why most people wrestle their kids in other states. But I am interested in the belt series coming up. Im really really thinking about hitting all 3 of em and seeing where the chips fall. Who else is going to the belt tourneys?

Yes the official state youth tournament is this weekend in Lexington at the horse park. This is another tournament all together.

I'll be hosting the Collegiate National Championships in my backyard that same weekend. Forgot about what those fools at the NCAA are talking about in St Louis.

Sometime this summer I'll also have the Olympic Wresting Tourney as well in London, Ky. The international news media keep erroneously reporting it as London, England.

:)

• Upvote 1

I'll be hosting the Collegiate National Championships in my backyard that same weekend. Forgot about what those fools at the NCAA are talking about in St Louis.

Sometime this summer I'll also have the Olympic Wresting Tourney as well in London, Ky. The international news media keep erroneously reporting it as London, England.

:)

Sarcasm, I love it.

they were small tournaments :)

Love it Stan!

The small tournament (411) was larger than the two we wrestled in ky. The 682 was only a bit smaller than the state in ky last year. My son has also been in 2 32 man bracket tournaments and 4 16 man. Tell me where this happens in ky.

Yankee- If you want a tournament like that, then get with someone and help host it! It takes a group of people working together to pull these things off. I'm sure if you contacted a few people they would be willing to help you out or could tell you who could help you. Other wise, quit complaining how bad the tournaments in Ky are. Don't become part of the problem, become part of a solution!

Irish - I don't think Yankee was complaining. I think their are alot of people that would prefer weight classes, weigh-ins, and skin checks. And I don't really see where adding that to any tournament in Kentucky would take alot of work or any additional people to pull it off.

Weight Classes put the ownership on the parents of how much weight their kid gives up, instead of a tournament director deciding if 10% is too much.

Weigh-Ins ensure safety for the tournament director, because I know, all of the coaches and parents are honest about weighing in kids.

Skin checks: It happens in college, high school, middle school, but not in elementary. But elementary bring back the skin infections to the high school mat.

Just a thought for becoming part of a solution.

Not complaining, just giving throwing some ideas out. True weight classes are used everywhere we have wrestled (OH, IN, PA, TN, WV) the last two years. My son had is eye lid slashed with a fingernail a couple seasons ago. If there were weigh-ins with checks that minght not have happened. It is very easy for a parent or coach to miss such a thing as a nail, checks would be a great help. Sorry to be part of the problem.

There are a few advantages w/ using the the 10% rule vs weight classes at the youth level. For starters, it eliminates weight cutting. This alone is reason enough for me to continue to support it. With having set weight classes every weekend, growing "kids" (and their parents/coaches) would have an urge to maintain a weight class for almost 4 months. I would hope parents and coaches would do the right thing and avoid this, but let's not kid ourselves, it would happen and does happen in other states.

The 10% rule promotes kids wrestling different kids. We attend all the top youth tournaments in Cincinnati every week against pretty much the same teams. Every tournament used the 10% rule. Even though they are the same kids from the same teams, the brackets are different from week to week. A 60 lber can one week be in a bracket from 60-66, and the next 54-60. Setting weight classes would all but ensure seeing the same kids every week.

Also, a tournament director has much more control over bracket sizes, allowing tournaments to run much smoother. I'm not saying larger brackets can't and don't work...but as an example, last year we had 29 kids that would have been in the 64 "weight class" birth year 03/02. What do we do? Qualifiers would help to a degree, but that leads me to the next problem.

Getting more kids and their parents to experience the state tournament can only increase participation in our sport, which is what KY needs to continue to get better. Once these kids and parents (most of whom are new to the sport) see the spot light and the big arena, they are more likely to come back the next year. It is a show that can hook a family for life. I've had dozens of kids tell me they want to "be in the spot light next year." Qualifying tourneys are inevitable as the tournament continues to grow, but w/ the new arena, we have A LOT more room. The tournament could double the # of participants, and we'd still be ok; therefore, why do it?

We dont cut. If the coaches and or parents do that they do not have the best interest of the kids in mind. I know there are parents and coaches that do this and it is simply wrong in elementary wrestling. We have a dietitian that speaks to our parents about proper eating habits. This season some of our parents have changed their eating habits and this will help the youth wrestler hopefully throughout their life. I have seen 1st graders cut. Last march at the southeastern aau championships a child that was favored at 40 bantam was running to make weight. He had beaten my son twice that year and we had him in the first round. He was everyones pick to win and of course my son drew him in the 1st round. My son beat him pretty badly, in my opinion because of the cut. I agree that the cutting of weight is a bad practice at the youth level, but i still feel that at the heavier weights 10% is too much. The smaller weights its doesnt affect, so it is a tough situation. AAU isnt perfect either. They go from 140 to hwt. Hwt can weigh up to 176. Way too much.

Remember elementary state March 3rd at Johnson Central High School. Should be a good tourney. Expecting a pretty good turnout. Just $5.00 a kid. You can remote weigh in. If you have any questions email me at genefletcher79@yahoo.com or call 1 606 297 8480.