Sign in to follow this  
pinthis

Realign regions for Jefferson County (and surrounding) schools

With all of the talk about the region 3 tournament, and the number of winless region 4 wrestlers going to state, why can't we realign those regions to even things out a little? Here's a proposed alignment to get the discussion started:

Region 3- Valley, PRP, Doss, Western, Fairdale, Southern, DeSales, Holy Cross, Meade County

Region 4- Manual, St. X, Moore, Male, Seneca, Atherton, Bullitt Central, North Bullitt, Central, Fern Creek

Region 5- Trinity, N. Oldham, S. Oldham, Oldham, J-Town, Spencer County, Eastern, Bullitt East

It has been talked about many times and I thought that was something that was going to be addressed this year after state. I may be wrong though.

They are in two different regions, but I would guess just due to the fact it says "Bullit East". But they are still far south of any of the others, closest is Spencer. I would put BE in region 4 and move Fern Creek to Region 5 where they are now.

why would you but the Bullitts in 3 different regions

If you were going to make any moves, I would think you would start from Western Kentucky and go East. Western Kentucky has the most teams in one Region. Region 1-14, Region 2- 9, Region 3-12, Region 4-8, Region 5-7, Region 6-12, Region 7-12, and Region 8-11 It would be nice if there was more of an equal representation in all regions. If what they are saying about Paducah is true Region 1 will have 15 schools next year, but not sure on that.

Actually, the regional tournaments are like district tournaments in most other states. The Regional tourney should be just that...a region, not a make shift district of 8-14 schools. Make them all districts...have a district tourney and then a regional tourney. Cut the regional tourney to a 16 man and the state to a 16 man bracket and you'll have better competition at both the region and state levels. State is a two day tourney now any way, so what does it matter. This would insure that the best of the best would be at the state tourney. That is what you want anyway...in the end. It could even be a two region tournament with top 8 advancing to the big show.

The big question though would be how much would it limit the growth of the sport in KY and noone wants that.

It would be nice to realign the entire state, but at least Jefferson, Bullitt, Oldham, Meade and Spencer would be an easy fix that could be done after the season ends. I agree with Coach K about switching Fern Creek and Bullitt East...keep the BC schools in the same region.

I agree with Trithis in theory, but the question he poses at the end of his post seems to be the sticking point - Kentucky walks a thin line between being competitive and having the best of the best at state, and keeping the sport "user friendly" and growing the sport. The youth programs are growing, and so is participation in high school. Maybe it's time to propose a total state realignment using district, regionals, and state. Would the state venue need to change? I'm not sure the state tournament would be as attractice to a venue or city with half or a quarter of the participants that they are getting now.

8 districts of 10 to 11 teams / 4 Regions of 21 to 22 teams in each region. Top 6 in region advance to states. 24 kids in each bracket (met you all in the middle). Regional Champions and Runner-Ups get first round byes at state tournament. Still a 2 day tournament, still gets you a bigger bracket that is attractive to the venue / city and still gets the best of the best in the bracket at the end of the day.

Let me ask this question about realignment, why are we not talking about moving a team like Meade to Region 2 that makes perfect sense and move a team like Anderson county out of region 2, they are closer to the region that woodford is in, just a thought

J.W. - 4 Regions of 21 or 22 teams is better than we have now and atleast it would improve the competition some and make it more of an accomplishment to make the tourney. Making the tourney should feel like a great thing. Placing should feel even better. Winnining State should be the ultimate awesome feeling for these kids. Also, other states would not have to have special seeding rules for our kids that compete outside of KY because the strength of the tourney would be increased.

I'm not sure that the venue is the way to manage the product and the content of the tournament.

In my initial "proposal," I thought about Meade in region 2, but if you keep nelson and danville in that region, that becomes a haul from meade co. It's not so bad going from meade to the southend jefferson county schools or bullitt co. schools.. Can reach most or all in 45 minutes or less.

I agree about the venue, and the layout from JW should work for Alltech or anywhere else the state meet is held.

I have read in other posts about state qualifiers and state placers being left at home. Back in the late nineties and early 2000's, state placers and qualifiers were left out all the time. When you qualified for the state tournament you were one of the best in the state. I know some of the regions were still very weak (i.e. Woodford Region), but with a little effort from the higher-ups we could accomplish a more well rounded state (as a whole). I also agree that the state tourney should go back to a 16 man bracket. Top 4 from districts to Regions top 4 from Regions to State. I also think that you could then eliminate Top 8 placing at state, take it back to top 6. If you did not do this last step then you could have kids with losing records place at the state tournament.

Now some positives from going back to a two day format! I love the fact that you have to wrestle your butt off the first day, and if you make it to the second day, you are on the PODIUM! I am so excited I can barely stand it cannot wait until FRRRRIIIIIIDDDDAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!

Pull Meade County out of region 3 and drop them to Region 2. Some schools in Regions 1 & 8 have to travel 2-3 hours so asking Meade County to travel an extra 15-30 minutes shouldn't be too much to ask. Make Regions 3 & 4 nothing but Jefferson County schools (Pull J-town, Eastern, Male and Fern Creek from Region 5 to make this happen). You could then take the 3 Bullitt County schools, the 3 Oldham County schools, Spencer County and maybe pull a few teams from either Region 2 (Nelson County maybe being one) or Region 7 (Western Hills or Franklin County) and drop them into Region 5 making the newly formed Region 5 nothing but non-Jefferson County schools. There are things that can be done to help even things out but only if the KHSAA is willing to do so. For the past five years now they haven't been. Simply look at their website. There are teams who have had programs for 3 or 4 years now that aren't showing on their current wrestling alignment list. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they don't care. There's not much you can do for Regions 1 or 8.

just think about the trip from ashland blazer to wayne it is 3 hrs 43 mins / 206.20 miles according to mapquest. It would be closer to put them in a louisvlle region than region 8. Then it would just be a 2 hrs 57 mins drive. I actually think the drive to every region except region 1 would be closer than what they have to travel now.

I have read in other posts about state qualifiers and state placers being left at home. Back in the late nineties and early 2000's, state placers and qualifiers were left out all the time. When you qualified for the state tournament you were one of the best in the state. I know some of the regions were still very weak (i.e. Woodford Region), but with a little effort from the higher-ups we could accomplish a more well rounded state (as a whole). I also agree that the state tourney should go back to a 16 man bracket. Top 4 from districts to Regions top 4 from Regions to State. I also think that you could then eliminate Top 8 placing at state, take it back to top 6. If you did not do this last step then you could have kids with losing records place at the state tournament.

Now some positives from going back to a two day format! I love the fact that you have to wrestle your butt off the first day, and if you make it to the second day, you are on the PODIUM! I am so excited I can barely stand it cannot wait until FRRRRIIIIIIDDDDAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!

You DON'T make the podium automatically if you are wrestling still on day two.....If you lose in the quarters or are wrestling back you will need to wrestle.....quarter losers will need to win one and the other wrestle backs 2........NO sure podium if you are still wrestling Saturday !

You DON'T make the podium automatically if you are wrestling still on day two.....If you lose in the quarters or are wrestling back you will need to wrestle.....quarter losers will need to win one and the other wrestle backs 2........NO sure podium if you are still wrestling Saturday !

You are right sorry just guessed on that one!!! I went back and viewed the schedule today :( Have to win a couple on Saturday too, this makes for a long night for some on Friday!