Sign in to follow this  
ubtappin

Question about Alltech Arena

The Farnham Dudgeon Civic Center in Frankfort seats roughly 5,000 people. I would say it's pretty near capacity for the State Tournament. I've been told that 6 mats are going to be placed at one end of Alltech Arena and we would basically just be using half of the arena. Online it says that Alltech Arena seats 5,700. Seems to me that there would not be near enough seating and some of the views from seats near the center or opposite end of the Arena would be horrible. Anyone know if this is true??

There is not a bad seat in the house.....trust me everyone.....it is nice. I personally have wrestled National Events in my day......This place "ROCKS" the house. First class all the way !

From all of us in Frankfort.....enjoy the tournament!

That Frankfort venue was probably nice in its day for whatever it was designed-but not wrestling. With the growth of the sport (PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THIS NEXT SENTENCE), we need to bring the sport out of the dark ages.

The state finals should be held at Rupp Arena, Freedom Hall, or the new YUM Center.

it looks like from the video online that it should be able to hold 6 mats without modiifying it anyway. It says the surface area is 300x100. But compare this arena to one at a large state that has 8-10 mats down then there isn't a bad seat here if it looks like it will on state.

Maybe if we double the number of schools that participate in it then we can get to that size arena...but for right now it is way too expensive for one that huge.

That Frankfort venue was probably nice in its day for whatever it was designed-but not wrestling. With the growth of the sport (PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THIS NEXT SENTENCE), we need to bring the sport out of the dark ages.

The state finals should be held at Rupp Arena, Freedom Hall, or the new YUM Center.

I really enjoyed the Farnham Dudgeon Civic Center hosting the state tournament. I think it was just the right size for hosting Kentucky's state tournament and the atmosphere was unrivaled by any other place I have been to watch wrestling or to compete. I will miss that place. I just hope Alltech Arena can do the trick as well at the Farnhan Dudgeon CC did, and if they decide to put all the mats at one end of the arena then they will likely not compare favorable.

It appears from the video that one end of the arena has very little seating, so maybe 95% of the seating is in 80% of the arena. If that is the case then it would be fine putting the mats more towards one end. Also there is no upper deck so the seats are lower down. I don't think that the state tournament has ever drawn more then 3500 people in the Frankfort center. They don't allow people sitting behind the screen they put up so that took out about 200+ seats right there and there were always open seats in the rest of the arena as well. This venue should be fine. I would say for many it will come down to the concessions!! Everyone agreed that they were getting out of control in Frankfort so we shall see what they are like here!! Everyone will know by noon on Friday....

The Farnham Dudgeon Civic Center in Frankfort seats roughly 5,000 people. I would say it's pretty near capacity for the State Tournament. I've been told that 6 mats are going to be placed at one end of Alltech Arena and we would basically just be using half of the arena. Online it says that Alltech Arena seats 5,700. Seems to me that there would not be near enough seating and some of the views from seats near the center or opposite end of the Arena would be horrible. Anyone know if this is true??

I'm wondering if the pre finals festivities will still be allowed? The kids normally trash the place ;)

Hopefully those festivities will NOT be allowed. If everyone wants the sport of Wrestling to be respected in Kentucky, the "Animal House" behavior needs to be eliminated! Let's focus on the athletes out on the Mats and not the children up in the stands. Go to any other State and watch thier finals and you will see the fans are there for one purpose. To watch quality wrestling.

Hopefully those festivities will NOT be allowed. If everyone wants the sport of Wrestling to be respected in Kentucky, the "Animal House" behavior needs to be eliminated! Let's focus on the athletes out on the Mats and not the children up in the stands. Go to any other State and watch thier finals and you will see the fans are there for one purpose. To watch quality wrestling.

Really ?......I am 52...soon to be 53.....In my day we had none of the hysteria......and you know what.....it's too bad we did'nt.....The kids don't trash the place and I love the atmosphere, a celebration of all the hard work they put in throughout the year........I love the Kentucky High School Championship atmosphere before the Finals.....and you know what else..."We are going to party like it's 1999".........Party, Party, Party !!!!!!

• Upvote 5

I love the "Animal House" festivities that go on. We don't have to be like every other state, boring, that's what makes it so cool.

• Upvote 2

I agree. When I took over 3 years ago @ my school, I had NO FREAKING IDEA about what was fixing to happen that last night, because we didnt do it back in the 90s... But as I stood back, I said to myself... "Self, this is kinda cool".. Just as long as those bad apples are takin care of.... You know, the ones that wet the toilet paper and throw it as hard as they can to hurt someone.

• Upvote 1

i heard no platform, no idea about lighting however, but the pre finals hysteria are one of the best part of state. Everyone works ALL year on and off season for the chance to get to the finals and if they get to them the "animal house" makes everything 100* more intense and all worth it.

I came from Tennessee and let me tell you.... The pre-finals celebration is AWESOME!!! My first year three years ago I had NO IDEA that is what happened. Let me tell you it makes that hour to set up finals go by fast.

It's better then the Super Bowl half time show. I love to see all the school spirit young and old and new costumes people come up with to support their team and wrestlers. It's awesome!!!!

The pre-finals celebration in the stands is freaking awesome to watch. No one has gotten out of hand in my time watching it, and I hope they keep that going.

Also: There will apparently be one section -- a very small one, at that -- blocked off from spectators just like in Frankfort. Coach Canter showed me a seating chart this afternoon, and the section that will be closed off is where the main table will be set up in the arena.

I heard that there is not going to be a hospitality room for coaches this year? I got the impression that it's the arena that won't allow it. Anybody know if it's true or what's up with that?

No hospitality room, and i also heard no outside coolers and food items. Im sure they will be a few kinks the first year in the new place, i just hope it dont take away from the atmosphere and excitement. When people from other states used to watch the finals in frankfort they would always talk about goosebumps and how there state doesnt do anything like that.