Sign in to follow this  
ACHSbearcats

University of Kentucky club team?

I'm currently a student at UK and had always heard rumors of a club wrestling team here. I was curious to know if anyone has any kind of information on whether or not there is even a team, or if it's just always been wishful thinking.

Thanks!

They very well may have a club currently, but from what I have seen, over time there have been former HS wrestlers at UK who want to get back into the sport.Every few years the club will start up and go for a season or two and then go dormant for a couple of years after whoever picked it up gets a heavy class load, job, or graduates. This is until the next group of former wrestlers comes along and starts it up again.

Try starting a program with the NCWA. You are close to quite a few programs at UK. Plus with enough support from the Ky Wrestling community it can build into a very strong program... An example of a program that has built itself into a good program is Middle Tennessee State Uni. if you would like information please DM message and I can point you in the right direction.

At this moment there is not a wrestling club at the University of Kentucky. On the other hand, one of my fraternity brothers has been putting time into starting one. Just like with any organization, dealing with UK administration has been difficult due to the fact that they make all processes more complicated than they really have to be. When I receive more information about the time frame that this may be starting, I will post more information.

At this moment there is not a wrestling club at the University of Kentucky. On the other hand, one of my fraternity brothers has been putting time into starting one. Just like with any organization, dealing with UK administration has been difficult due to the fact that they make all processes more complicated than they really have to be. When I receive more information about the time frame that this may be starting, I will post more information.

Yea if he's making any progress definitely keep us updated on here. Thanks guys.

I would contact the person listed as the contact for UK Judo from http://www.uky.edu/StudentAffairs/CampusRec/clubSports/currentClubs.html

You might be able to re-use all their paper work in risk management, funding, etc, and possibly use the same facility / mats.

Here's the club handbook, http://www.uky.edu/StudentAffairs/CampusRec/pdf/Club%20Sports%20Manual.pdf

I believe Grand Valley St in Michigan was a club and now they are a program. All these clubs have coachs, mat rooms, hell Grand Valley had two teams. Look up Mott, they were pretty good, Toledo, Rio Grande, Bowling Green St University, University of Southern Indiana, Cinncinati, Uni of Dayton

Interesting ,UC had a club that was ran along with a youth club where a few youth ms and hs kids would show up ,they had a national champ Jesse Black a few yrs back .it was a lot of fun.

Starting a club has a ton of red tape to get through but it can be done. I did it at Murray State University for four years. We had a coach and several guys in the line up. We traveled to the Missouri Valley Open a couple of times and did a ton of summer tournaments. Some of the local high school guys would come to our practice room and work out with us as well as us traveling to do mini camps every now and then.

What happened to it?

Starting a club has a ton of red tape to get through but it can be done. I did it at Murray State University for four years. We had a coach and several guys in the line up. We traveled to the Missouri Valley Open a couple of times and did a ton of summer tournaments. Some of the local high school guys would come to our practice room and work out with us as well as us traveling to do mini camps every now and then.

KY USA Wrestling has had a few College clubs Charter there team. UK was one of them a few years back. Chartering there club/team help meet alot on the liability issues that had stopped them from Practicing.