Sign in to follow this  
lasttakedown02

Jefferson County

I also am sick of seeing high school wrestling turning into freestyle. Takedown, takedown, takedown, the rules have changed already to give the takedown master an edge. (Allowing the optional start, choosing neutral, now just telling the official I want him in his feet and give him the one escape) None of these rules were there in the good ole days when GOO wrestled.

What exactly is the ultimate goal of wrestling? The Pin. The emphasis on takedowns has taken the the emphasis of a pin out of wrestling. I much prefer seeing a wrestler who can get reversals and run pinning combinations, than see a wrestler take down an opponent let him up take him down again, let him up Etc. etc.

Was riding time kept when GOO wrestled? I don't remember the year but, I remember Dan Gable speaking to coaches at a camp/clinic saying that we needed to make some rule changes for our wrestlers to be more competitive on the international stage. The emphasis on takedowns is a result of that. I'm not ever going to challenge his wisdom. I think that is also why we are seeing how they are calling out-of-bounds in college today to mimic the continuation rule in freestyle and greco. One thing is for sure, NCAA and high school officiating is way more credible than international.