Sign in to follow this  
Mathound

What does your team do for fundraising?

This isn't specifically targeted to High School teams. What are some of the activities or programs your team uses to help raise money?

This isn't specifically targeted to High School teams. What are some of the activities or programs your team uses to help raise money?

ESPN the magazine sales. I am doing it this year around Christmas.

Lift a thon ,easy and quick money and good for the kids as well ,it would be neat to have each school have one then have one big lift a thon for the whole state witheach team getting their money and perhaps some going to a charity or for team KY for fargo ..sweet

Unfortunately, high school athletics in Bullitt County are 100% self-funded. Absolutely no money comes from the school board or high school itself for any expenses, equipment, uniforms, travel, etc so fundraising is something that seems like many teams are constantly doing. A couple of things the wrestling team does that has helped in the past is ESPN The Magazine sales which I belive someone has already mentioned. It's a pretty good deal and you keep a huge portion of the proceeds (something like 75%). One kid can sale just 3 subscriptions and make $90 for the team/organization. Another that is a good fundraiser is peeler cards. There is a company that distributes the peel cards with no upfront expenses. They will cater the cards specifically to businesses in your immediate area which makes them very easy to sell. The cards seel for $10 and you keep $5 of it. I think we made $2500 doing it last year. The bonus is that you can request as many cards as you want (again, they don't charge you for them upfront) and if you don't sale all the cards, you can return what you don't sale at no cost to you. Also, our booster club has a contract with a local bingo hall to supply the workers. The booster club will then take requests from the sports programs as to how many slots each program is requesting to fill. The wrestling team filled 30 of those slots last year and we made close to $3000 doing that. Finally, I have the parents go around to local businesses and ask for a $100 donation. In return, we put the names and logos of those businesses on the back of a t-shirt which comes in each wrestlers spirit pack so it's good advertisement for the business and doesn't cost the team anything as it's part of the overall cost of the spirit pack for the wrestlers. I think we made about $1500 doing that. We were like a walking billboard but I was disappointed because there was no Chico's Bail Bonds located in the area. Anyway, I hate fundraising as I'm sure most all coaches, parents, athletes, etc do so I always look for things that are easy and can make a bunch of money with very little effort and time. There are some athletic programs in Bullitt County that have to have 8-10 fundraisers a year to try and meet their expenses and to be quite honest, who wants to have that many fundraisers in a single year?!?! All the fundraisers I mentioned above were very easy and don't require a lot of time so it doesn't seem like that's all we're doing.

Kroger offers a really easy fundraiser if your booster club is a 501©(3). Fans, family, and others can load up a Kroger gift card and their team will earn 4% of the amount loaded. So for every $100 spent at the store your team would earn $4.

If your 14 wrestlers spend $200 a month on groceries it would be $2,800 a month ($33,600 a year). I'm not sure if there are any caps on the amounts but everyone has got to eat.

http://www.kroger.com/mykroger/024/Pages/fundraising_faq.aspx