Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

EARLY Region 1 Predictions

Well considering the fact that in my opinion, nothing stirs activity more than arguing about rankings, I present my predictions for the Region 1 team finish. Going into individuals would be foolhardy, with the new weight classes and all. Sorry for the confusing format, it looked a lot better in Microsoft Word

1. Union County

No big surprise here. Union is the defending state champions and returns 2 state champions into a lineup full of state placers. They are one of the best coached teams in the state, and an incredible youth program. As long as there are Ervins Union County will always have a great team, and trust me there are plenty of them waiting in the wings.

Top Returners Biggest Losses

1. Brock Ervin 1. Caleb Ervin

2. Jayce Carr 2. Thomas Buckman

3. Trae Blackwell 3. Keaton Thomas

2. Christian County

Christian County turned it on at state, showing flashes of the great teams in the 80’s. Coach Burnham has access to some of the best athletes in the region, as evidenced by the fact there has been a Christian County heavyweight in the region finals the past 4 years. This team is still pretty young and only graduated two seniors from its Region placers.

1. J.J. Killebrew 1. Marlon Pate

2. Kory Polley 2. Zeb White

3. Caleb Austin 3. Steven Stapp

3. Ohio County

When at their best Ohio County is one of the better teams in the state. But they didn’t wrestle to their potential at Regions or State. They return nearly all of their starting lineup and like most of the teams in Region 1 are very young, but very talented. Ohio used to be well known for their upper weights, but now their smaller wrestlers are among some of the best in Kentucky, with state placers Chase Boone and Billy Moore in the lead.

1. Chase Boone 1. Eric Poston

2. Billy Moore 2.

3. Kyle Bunch 3.

4. Fort Campbell

When I think of not wrestling up to potential, Fort Campbell is often the best example. Fort Campbell’s recent history is full of great wrestlers who just missed out at state titles from Brandon Campbell to Matt Mines. The past 2 years had teams that peaked around midseason and then faltered around regions and state. Yet again, military life hits Fort Campbell hard as they are forced to replace Matt Woods, their only region champ.

1. David Sahms 1. Matt Woods

2. Jerry Heywood 2. Zach Green

3. Nick Ringle 3. Robert Wright

5. University Heights Academy

UHA is a well coached team that always peaks at the right time. While not having the greatest stable of athletes that other Hoptown schools have, UHA’s wrestlers are always fundamentally sound and wrestle smart. They return a solid core of state placers and benefit from a respectable youth team.

1. Wade Willen 1. Daniel Urban

2. Colton Hall 2.

3. Cameron Montgomery 3.

6. Daviees County

Daviees is a team that rarely wrestles the other Region schools, similar to Union County. But the negative aspect of this is that outside of the regional tournament I have little to go off of for them.

1. Ryan Linn 1. Logan Frank

2. Cory Curtis 2. Jarrett Allen

3. Tyler David Parker 3. Willy Jenkinson

7. Caldwell County

As our times together at state show, Caldwell knows how to party. But anyway, Caldwell is an extremely young team that benefits from being coached by the second greatest family in Region 1 history, the Walls. The kids know wrestling and love the sport. They are a few good athletes away from returning as a respectable force in Region 1.

1. Kegan Agnew 1.

2. Chris Gilkey 2.

3. Dominic Hephner 3.

8. Hopkinsville

Most of the wrestlers on this team are fairly new to the sport. But like Christian County, Hoptown has plenty of athletes to go after when filling out their roster. The tall and lanky wrestler has been the trademark of Hoptown wrestlers of late. I swear they put their wrestlers on racks

1. Travon Thacker 1. Chad Jordan

2. Issac Lawson 2.

3. Evan Butler 3.

9. Trigg County

Trigg still has a long road ahead of them in terms of building up a program. But that road just got a lot easier with the addition of legendary coach Dennis Walls. They have some pretty decent young wrestlers, chief among them Jeremiah Kline.

1. Jeremiah Kline 1.

2. Aaron Stevens 2.

3. Jayven Jones 3.

10. Calloway County

Another Walls coached institution. Calloway is going to be hard hit by the loss of their graduating seniors. But they still return a state qualifier and a couple region placers.

1. Charlie Courtney 1. Robbie Friedrich

2. Isaiah Frank 2. Keaton Starks

3. Chris Hall 3. Aaron Littlepage

11. Paducah Tilghman

Paducah is a well coached team with some talented kids. But lack of interest from the student body and injuries have really hurt the team lately. If they can secure a solid group of kids and keep them Paducah will go right back into the top 5 teams in the region.

1. Justin Wynne 1. Laguan Grubbs

2. Zach Pittman 2. Eddie Gagnon

3. Derek Overstreet 3. Sean McIntosh

12. Apollo

While the kids they have now do love the sport. They have a long way to go in terms of knowledge and athleticism to have success next season.

1. Tanner Ward 1. Zimi John

2. Dakota Towery 2.

3. 3.

13. Owensboro

I have been told they’re making a team, and they have a mat.

1. Wrestling Mat 1.

2. 2.

3. 3.

Here is something to chew on.Head Coach Kenny Stone has left the Apollo wrestling program to take the job of head coach at Owensboro High School.And not to be out done by it's cross town rivals Daviess Co. is without a Head Coach.

So true.It's my understanding that Lee Mitchel is taking over the Apollo program with the help from his son Zach.This is something in the making for sometime, because Coach Stone was retiring... As far as Daviess Co, Coach Curtis Martinson will be the wrestling coach temp. Until the job can be filled permentaly .

Don't you mean Thomas Campbell? I remember he wrestled at Fort Campbell when Caldwell had Cody Walls and Union had Kenny Manuel all in the same weight class. Ranked throughout the year 1, 2, and 3.

Don't you mean Thomas Campbell? I remember he wrestled at Fort Campbell when Caldwell had Cody Walls and Union had Kenny Manuel all in the same weight class. Ranked throughout the year 1, 2, and 3.

I am good friends with Thomas Campbell and he is definately up there. But even he says it made no since that Brandon Campbell who wrestled the same time as him never won it. Brandon was really the one who revitalized the wrestling program. Before him the closest we had to state placer was Pascal Johnson (older brother to Alan and Nate Johnson two other wrestlers who had the talent to win state). Thomas got stuck with Jairus Murton dropping to his weight class.

It's about time to dust off this thread and talk some about the up coming season!!!How do you think the new weight classes are going to play out in the region?

Hate to dissapoint you guys but I am never going to be doing something this in depth again. I don't even know how Fort Campbell is going to look with the new weights let alone anybody else. Plus I am busy with college wrestling now and what not. I might drop by occasionaly and check up on my Region 1 boys, but don't expect to see me around much longer.