Sign in to follow this  
kdsmith27

Year-Round Strength and Conditioning Program for Wrestling!

Year-Round Strength and Conditioning Program for Wrestlers!

By Steve Preston

www.wrestlingperformance.com

Strength training and overall cardiovascular conditioning are essential to outstanding wrestling performance. As a wrestler matures, this becomes even more important.. Young wrestlers' who haven't reached puberty, can still benefit from proper strength and conditioning. They can strength train, as long as it's done correctly. That is exactly what I've intended my program to be. This program details the complete system I use to get outstanding performance results from my athletes, either live or via consultations. Whether your wrestler is in elementary, middle school or junior high, high school or college this system will improve mat performance tremendously! This is a system for coaches and parents to ensure that their wrestlers and children are strength and conditioning correctly, with proper nutrition throughout the year. This program will create more efficient bodies that move faster, more powerfully, and longer. It is based on good 'ole fashioned anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, and a little exercise science for good measure. What you have in front of you is a fail-proof program to create stronger, faster, wrestlers with more wins.

You've made a great choice in believing in my methods. Here is the brand new 4 phase system that I've been using for even better progress. You simply plug into whatever routine your current wrestling schedule dictates.

Your wrestlers should be eating as I've discussed in this program. Better training, better eating, means better wrestling athletes.

"With all things equal, the stronger wrestler wins!"

Steve Preston

Phase I

Phase 1, as I like to call it, is the "off-season" or time of the least amount of wrestling. Sometimes the off-season is a relative thing. Some wrestlers compete year-round. Some hit tournaments in the off-season, but don't go to club more than twice per week. Situations are different for many. Basically, this is the time when your wrestling is the slowest, and the time where you can commit to a more intense strength and conditioning regimen.

Once you've identified that your wrestlers are in Phase 1, adhere to these principles:

Strength train 3 days per week

Follow a full-body strength training program

Immediately follow your strength training program with interval cardio

Follow your interval cardio with full- body static stretching. Hold each stretch for 10 seconds,, 2 times.

Stretch each muscle being worked in static stretch for 10 seconds immediately following a set for that muscle.

Wrestle!! …by this, I mean you will get your best performance results when you combine efficient, productive strength and conditioning with wrestling practice.

Exercise Selection

Here is my list of recommended exercises for all phases of strength training. You can reference my Champion Strength Training DVD for Wrestlers to see some of the "best" exercises for wrestlers. (excuse the crappy quality, but hey, I'm no Hollywood producer…just remember, it's the information within that has been scientifically proven to be effective, that is important.)

Glutes

Hip and Back Machine

Reverse Hyperextension Machine

Half Squats (from the bottom)

Half Leg Press (from the bottom)

Hyperextensions

Glute/Ham/Gastroc Machine

Thighs

Barbell Squat (full)

Machine Squat (full)

Leg Press (full)

Leg Extension/Leg Curl combination

Trap Bar Deadlift

Barbell Deadlift

Shoulders

Modified Barbell Shoulder Press

Standing Shoulder Press with a Thick Bar

Standing or Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Machine Shoulder Press

Front Raise (with hands in supinated, pronated or neutral positions) followed immediately by Lateral Raises with dumbbells (either seated or standing

Chest

Bodyweight or Weighted Dips

Barbell Bench Press

Machine Seated Bench Press

Machine Incline Press

Barbell Incline Press

Pec Deck Flyes

Arms

Thick Bar Reverse Curls

Thick Bar Barbell Curls

Dumbbell Hammer Curls

Rope Hammer Curls

Barbell Curl with regular, straight bar

Pushdowns with Thick Bar

Pushdowns with Rope

Dips with upright body (straight up and down, no lean)

Half Bench Press (lower to halfway point, pause, and press to lockout)

Half Presses in Should Press Machine (lower seated to very bottom and press… awesome triceps exercise)

Hands

Any back work with no wrist straps. I personally like using wrist straps for basic pull-ups and rowing motions. The dead-lifts and thick bar exercises for other body parts make the hands very strong and efficient for wrestling.

Waist

Raise Ups

Crunches on a Stability Ball

Hanging Leg Raises

Neck

Manual Resistance Neck Training

Neck Training should only be performed under the supervision of a qualified trainer.

4 Way Neck Machine

Wrestling Bridges

Shoulder Shrug with Barbell

Shoulder Shrug with Machine

Now, you simply choose one exercise for each list, and keep them in the same order. If you're not sure how to do certain exercises you can:

1. Consult me on the members forum

2. Find a qualified trainer in your area to show you the exercises. Fortunately, you can still find some good ones… just beware of the ones who don't have much experience.

During Phase 1 you will train on a schedule like this:

Monday -- Full Body Strength Training Workout followed by Interval Cardio, and Static Stretching

Wednesday - Full Body Strength Training Workout followed by Interval Cardio, and Static Stretching

Friday - Full Body Strength Training Workout followed by Interval Cardio, and Static Stretching

During this phase you will train each exercise with 3 sets. The first set is a warm-up at 50% of the maximum, or estimated maximum for the set. (If in doubt, go light) The warm-up set should be performed very slowly as demonstrated in the DVD.

The next set is your top set. This set should be taken to momentary muscular failure (the point at which he can no longer perform another repetition in perfect form). Follow the guidelines for speed of repetitions on the DVD. The number of repetitions the wrestler should shoot for are discussed on the accompanying CD's.

Reduce the weight by 20%. Rest 2 minutes and go again. Again, this set is taken to the point of momentary muscular failure.

Get a quick drink, and get right to the next exercise.

Follow the same protocol for each exercise.

As soon as strength training is completed, either start doing interval sprints, jump rope interval training, or treadmill interval training. Refer to my CD's to hear about the various time methods you can set up with interval training.

Make sure you are giving time for static stretching after your workout. Remember, you want to keep the muscle in its fullest range of motion to be most effective. Your wrestling performance deserves it.

Phase II

Phase II is to be adapted when wrestlers are starting to wrestle for the season. This is when practices are more regular. This is usually the case when a middle school or high school season begins. The wrestlers now reduce the frequency of strength training slightly.

In Phase I, wrestlers' strength train on three nonconsecutive days per week. Therefore, every two weeks they will have trained three times. During Phase II the frequency of training is reduced to five times every two weeks. Each two week block would look like this:

Week One: Monday -- Wednesday -- Friday

Week Two: Monday -- Friday

The Wednesday workout during the second week is omitted. This extra day off allows for more recuperation. Since the wrestler is now beginning a season with regular, intense practices, they will allow the body to recover more efficiently.

During Phase II, the set and repetition plan is the same as with Phase I. For each exercise choose a weight that is roughly 50% of the one repetition maximum. Perform about 6 slow, controlled repetitions in order to warm the muscle up. Then the top weight is chosen for the exercise. It should be a weight that allows the wrestler to reach momentary muscular failure within the repetition guideline that was determined using the repetition formula

Repetition Range Formula

(Find one repetition maximum on an exercise. Then rest 5 minutes, and repeat with 20% less weight. The number of repetitions performed minus one/plus one is the repetition range for the wrestler).

After the top set is completed, rest 2 minutes, and repeat. The second set is performed with 20% less weight than the first set. The second set is taken to momentary muscular failure as well.

To recap, in Phase II you:

Strength train 5 times every two weeks instead of 6 times every two weeks as in the Phase I program.

Perform one warm-up set for each exercise. You can perform a second, heavier warm-up set if the first one didn't warm the muscle area up thoroughly.

Perform top set after warm-up set. Choose a weight that allows wrestler to reach momentary muscular failure within their individual repetition guideline.

Rest five minutes after first top set, reduce weight by 20%, and perform second set to momentary muscular failure.

Perform interval cardio immediately following each strength training session.

Finish with static stretching. Full body stretch. Hold each stretch for 10 seconds and repeat for a total of two times for each stretch.

Phase III

Phase III is started when the most wrestling for the year occurs. This phase is also adapted when a wrestler is trying to cut a bunch of weight. During Phase III the wrestler is concentrating on wrestling practices, matches, and tournaments. Strength training is reduced by both volume, and frequency. Intensity stays the same. This means:

· Strength training is reduced to 3 times every two weeks.

· Instead of performing a top set, followed by a second set with a 20% weight reduction, you only do the first set. That means you have your wrestlers perform the usual warm-up set (two if necessary), then perform only one top set to momentary muscular failure.

· Each workout is followed by interval cardio training. Follow the same protocol as discussed in the CD's.

· Finish each workout with static stretching.

Remember, a wrestler MUST strength train during the season if he wants to compete at his best. Wrestling, by nature of intense, long practices along with weight cutting, is cannibalizing their muscle. Strength training during the season and while cutting weight will help preserve the muscle, and result in better strength, better endurance and better performances on the mat.

Example Year Long Training System for Wrestlers

April -- August Phase I

Monday -- Wednesday -- Friday Strength Training

Full Body Strength Training Workout

Half-Squats

Full Range Leg Press

Leg Extension

Leg Curl

Machine Shoulder Press

Bodyweight Dips

Dumbbell Hammer Curls

Half-Bench Press

Crunches on a Stability Ball

Barbell Shrugs

4 Way Neck Machine

Three sets for each exercise (One warmup set, followed by two sets to momentary muscular failure)

No more than two minutes between sets of each exercise

No more than three minutes in between exercises

Interval cardio to follow strength training

Static stretching to finish workout

September -- December Phase II

Full Body Strength Training Workout

Trap Bar Deadlift

Leg Extension

Reverse Hyperextensions

Glute/Ham/Gastroc Machine

Standing Shoulder Press with a Thick Bar

Machine Bench Press

Reverse Curls with a Thick Bar

Lying Triceps Extension

Hanging Leg Raises

Machine Shrugs

Manual Resistance Neck Work

Three sets for each exercise (One warm-up set, followed by two sets to momentary muscular failure)

Rest no more than 1 ½ minutes between sets of each exercise.

Rest no more than 2 minutes between exercises.

Interval cardio follows strength training.

Static stretching to finish up workout

January -- March Phase III

Full Body Workout

Barbell Squats - full

Leg Curl

Hip and Back Machine

Half Leg Press (from bottom)

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Hammer Strength Incline Press

Standing Barbell Curl with Thick Bar

Pushdowns with Thick Bar

Raise-ups

Dumbbell Shrugs

Wrestling Bridges

One warm-up set, followed by one top set for each exercise. You no longer perform a second set to momentary muscular failure.

Rest one minute between warm-up set and top set.

Rest only long enough to get from one exercise to the next. Move as quickly as possible from one exercise to the next.

Sign in to follow this