Sign in to follow this  
kdsmith27

Top 16 Foods That Wrestlers Should Eat After They Weigh-In!

Top 16 Foods That Wrestlers Should Eat After They Weigh-In!

One of the most important times for a wrestler comes immediately after making weight. This is the time when many wrestlers and coaches are confused as to what foods are best to eat. It all comes down to eating food that can be digested slowly, allowing your body to maintain a steady blood-sugar level so that your strength and energy are optimal.

A few years back there was a lot of talk about the Glycemic Index. This was a determinant of how rapidly a food was digested and broken down into sugar (Glucose). Foods that had a higher number rating were the ones that were more rapidly digested. Conversely, foods with a lower number were digested more slowly and converted more slowly into sugars.

The thing that my good friend Al Walke and I realized years ago was that you can eat a high glycemic food combined with a fat and turn it into a low-glycemic food. The simple way we do this is to add peanut butter to a higher glycemic carbohydrate.

Why would you do this? To give you energy throughout the day. That's why I like the idea of a good ole-fashioned Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich (preferably on Wheat rather than White Bread) for good tournament food when you're going and going all day long. The simplest way to look at this when you're considering what to eat after you weigh-in for a dual match is to have a list to choose from.

Here are 16 foods that you can eat separately or combine for a post weigh-in meal. Optimally, you will have some time to digest this food. If time is every shortened to where you would wrestle within 45 minutes of the weigh-in you just wouldn't eat at all.

-Carboforce drink

-Honey

-Peanuts

-Cherries

-Milk

-Grapefruit

-Plain Pizza

-Pears

-Apples

-Apple Juice

-Spaghetti

-Whole Wheat Pasta