Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Ranger's state tournament report

Okay, I finally stole enough "free" time to get this done.  I didn't study for my Investments exam I had tonight.  But hey, we have to have priorities right?  For those of you who don't know, this is my prediction based on the way I see the brackets playing out.  I didn't get to add as much interesting discussion as last year or add as many kids as last year, but that's what I get for procrastinating.  Hopefully a few of you get a chance to read it over before heading to Frankfort.  Enjoy.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Ranger!  This was an interesting read and I look forward to seeing how well these scenarios play out come Saturday.

My only question is why no love for Daryl Lynch from Newport?  It will be a fight for him to make the podium but I would at least have thought he would be in your top 16?

Thanks Ranger!  This was an interesting read and I look forward to seeing how well these scenarios play out come Saturday.

My only question is why no love for Daryl Lynch from Newport?  It will be a fight for him to make the podium but I would at least have thought he would be in your top 16?

I have him one match from making my top 16.  He looked pretty good last weekend, but with his draw I think he will come up just short.  In the past I did a top 25, to essentially capture everyone who wins a match at state, but I just didn't have time.  I know a few people will be disappointed (JCB).

having trouble getting both documents to downlaod

just right click over attachment and save, then go to where ever you saved it and it should open.

ranger what happend to ahern ryle at 130, is his wrestle back pretty ugly ?

just right click over attachment and save, then go to where ever you saved it and it should open.

ranger what happend to ahern ryle at 130, is his wrestle back pretty ugly ?

Yeah, coming in as a 4 is pretty tough.  Unless you beat the #1, which he is capable of doing, you have a long, long way back to place.

I think Ahern has beaten Bisenious and Birk this year. I don't know if he'll do it again, but i wouldn't be suprised to see him in the Semi's.

Absolutely.  I based my prediction on the most recent experience, which was a little short.  He definitely has the potential to make a long run; possibly even the finals.  He just left himself no room for error.  And I think this weight is too deep for that.

He did come up short against Supe and Jones but both matches could have went either way. In fact, I would have given Ahern the takedown at the end of the match against Supe.

if i am looking at it right and assuming terry beats jones, then looser of bisinius and ahern meet jones 1 round away from the go to round. i see jones taking that but it will be a barn burner.

Totally wrong there haha. If Bisenius or Ahern lose to Woodford in the second round then they would meet Jones in the money round. But the 1st round loser would be switch to the opposite side of the consolation bracket as Jones assuming Jones gets beat by Terry  :-D Interesting to say the least

Totally wrong there haha. If Bisenius or Ahern lose to Woodford in the second round then they would meet Jones in the money round. But the 1st round loser would be switch to the opposite side of the consolation bracket as Jones assuming Jones gets beat by Terry  :-D Interesting to say the least

ok thanks for the clarification, it will be a great bracket to watch. no doubt.

Page 1

2011 Kentucky High School Wrestling State Tournament Report

Similar to first edition I have patterned the design and much of the content of this report based on the work of Brian Brakeman who annually creates the Brakeman Report prior to the Ohio high school wrestling post season. His work is admired by many throughout the state of Ohio (and us KY folks who compete across the river quite a bit) so I decided why re-create the wheel. I also want to acknowledge the valuable input from many parents, coaches, wrestlers, and fans across the state throughout the course of the season. A few do a particularly great job of keeping me up to date on not only their team, but also opposing competitors that deserve to be recognized.

I have not gone to the effort of explaining the process of ranking individual wrestlers and the issues that arise when attempting to do so, from receiving little to no information on some individuals and teams to receiving limited or incorrect information. Instead I will direct anyone interested to at least read the introduction published by Brakeman at: http://www.baumspage.com/brakeman/2010%20Brakeman%20Report.pdf

For those of you who have followed me over these last 5 or so years, you know I willingly admit I am far from perfect. Add to that the fact that I have far from perfect data from which to base this report, so I am bound to make some mistakes. But hey, this is high school wrestling, it ain

Loser of Bisnius of Ahern woul get Hamilton in the second round of conso's. This must be where Ranger has Ahern making his exit. (even though he's beaten hamilton twice) Two rounds later they would have the loser of Supe and Carr. Whoever looses that match will have a hell of a wrestleback.

I got someone to email me the report and instead of emailing it to everyone else I decided to simply copy and paste.  Some of the formatting may mess up the way it looks but it should still be readible.  Here it is:

Page 1

2011 Kentucky High School Wrestling State Tournament Report

Similar to first edition I have patterned the design and much of the content of this report based on the work of Brian Brakeman who annually creates the Brakeman Report prior to the Ohio high school wrestling post season. His work is admired by many throughout the state of Ohio (and us KY folks who compete across the river quite a bit) so I decided why re-create the wheel. I also want to acknowledge the valuable input from many parents, coaches, wrestlers, and fans across the state throughout the course of the season. A few do a particularly great job of keeping me up to date on not only their team, but also opposing competitors that deserve to be recognized.

I have not gone to the effort of explaining the process of ranking individual wrestlers and the issues that arise when attempting to do so, from receiving little to no information on some individuals and teams to receiving limited or incorrect information. Instead I will direct anyone interested to at least read the introduction published by Brakeman at: http://www.baumspage.com/brakeman/2010%20Brakeman%20Report.pdf

For those of you who have followed me over these last 5 or so years, you know I willingly admit I am far from perfect. Add to that the fact that I have far from perfect data from which to base this report, so I am bound to make some mistakes. But hey, this is high school wrestling, it ain

I might be alone on this one but I think 215 is going to be the best matches of the tournament this weight class can go in so many directions. There are a lot of good matches and tough matches from the beginning rounds. No clear cut favorite in my eyes.

Thanks to the people that posted it, I was having trouble as well.  Great job ranger, I always look forward to these reports.

Thanks Ranger for raising the bar yet another time!

This report is awesome, I'll use it as a guide at the tournament for kids to watch.

Thanks again!