Sign in to follow this  
bamom

Middle schoolers wrestling up

Now that middle school wrestlers can't compete at the high school level does anyone know if they are still able to train, practice, condition, attend open mats, and camps with high schoolers?

middle schoolers may wrestle up for highschool.  Once they have wrestled one match they are locked into that highschool or loose a yr of eligibility for transfer the way I understand it if they go elsewhere.  Now I have been wrong plenty in the past but that is the way it was explained to me by a fellow who had been around the mat twice the amount of time as myself coaching and usually points things out to the refs that they forget...even if it doesnt benefit his team.  maybe ranger knows.

middle schoolers may wrestle up for highschool.  Once they have wrestled one match they are locked into that highschool or loose a yr of eligibility for transfer the way I understand it if they go elsewhere.  Now I have been wrong plenty in the past but that is the way it was explained to me by a fellow who had been around the mat twice the amount of time as myself coaching and usually points things out to the refs that they forget...even if it doesnt benefit his team.  maybe ranger knows.

I don't think this is true. I have seen middle school wrestlers wrestle for a high school on the varsity level and then move to a different school their 9th grade year and be eligible. I was told wrestling for a high school their 7th and/or 8th grade year does not constitue a declaration of high school status for that school which allows them to move schools their 9th grade year with no loss of eligibity. I know this has actually happened and the kid actually still lives in the county where he initially wrestled at the high school level as an 8th grader and it was declared legal by KHSAA case law because the middle school years wrestling for the initial high school meant nothing because he was in middle school.

I think you are correct w285bigman.  A few years back the idea was kicked around about locking a kid in if he competed at the varsity level as a 7th/8th grader, but it was shot down.

I don't think this is true. I have seen middle school wrestlers wrestle for a high school on the varsity level and then move to a different school their 9th grade year and be eligible. I was told wrestling for a high school their 7th and/or 8th grade year does not constitue a declaration of high school status for that school which allows them to move schools their 9th grade year with no loss of eligibity. I know this has actually happened and the kid actually still lives in the county where he initially wrestled at the high school level as an 8th grader and it was declared legal by KHSAA case law because the middle school years wrestling for the initial high school meant nothing because he was in middle school.

An example could be Josh Johnson

In middle school he wrestled for North Hardin, but in high school he wrestled for John Hardin