Sign in to follow this  
DrCradle

weight changes for 2010/2011 wrestling season

Check out the prosposal for next year weight classes....

The NFHS usually releases new rules in the spring.  Last year the rule modifications were announced May 4th.  I would presume sometime around then.

http://www.mpssaa.org/assets/wintersports/wrestling/Proposed%20Wrestling%20Weight%20Class%20Options%20(2009).pdf

with all the snow give you something to think about!

I like B or C.  As the father of a lighter 8th grader, I'm afraid A cuts out to many lighter weight guys who want to keep wrestling in high school.

Interesting.  I wonder if this is the usual discussion or if it has been decided they will make a change.  I hear these things come up every year and not much ever changes.  If change is coming I like B.

I think it's odd there are no changes being considered between the current 215 and 285 classes.  The 70 lb weight differential at the heavyweight class should be narrowed.  That seemed to be partially the attempt in the options presented for the lower weight classes. 

I like the current weight classes. If I had to choose something else, I would say B. Putting the lowest weight class at 106 or higher (Options A-B-C) I don't like though because the wrestlers who weigh in below 103 will have a much tougher time if the weight limit is moved up.

explain please.  :?

because he will have to wrestle 7th in the lineup instead of 8th in a dual. duh! ranger, dont you understand the pressure that would create, months of sports psychology counseling sessions, sleepless nights, and panic attacks. all of which could lead to weight loss and then force him to wrestle even a lighter weight class, pushing him up to 6th in the lineup. then the cycle starts all over again. i cant handle the pressure just thinking about it, lets just leave the weight classes alone.

They don't change the weight classes to make them more fair.  They try to look at the weight distribution of average high school boys and split them up as evenly as possible.  that's why 98 lbs became 103 lbs and now may become 106 (or whatever)  It's been at least ten years since the last change so we are about due again.  Big hint, don't order singlets with the current weight classes on them

They don't change the weight classes to make them more fair.  They try to look at the weight distribution of average high school boys and split them up as evenly as possible.  that's why 98 lbs became 103 lbs and now may become 106 (or whatever)  It's been at least ten years since the last change so we are about due again.  Big hint, don't order singlets with the current weight classes on them

Can you say, Obesity In Children And Teens.  :-o

The problem of childhood obesity in the United States has grown considerably in recent years. Between 16 and 33 percent of children and adolescents are obese.  :-o  :cry:

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/obesity_in_children_and_teens

I hope the weight classes do not change, but if they do, I hope they address 103 by raising the weight class slightly, and add a weight class between 215 and HWT.  Other than those obvious changes, I do not feel that any other changes are necessary.  Anything past that is just simply a waste of time. 

Weight classes were changed my senior year, and the 130 weight class was moved to 134, 135 was eliminated, and 140 was moved to 142.  I wrestled 142, and I only weighed 128.  I think the middle weight classes are currently perfect.

The explanation I've been given for the huge differential between 215 and 285 is that there are just too few boys at the heavy weights. You'll notice the proposed changes still don't add that class. If we kept to 14 classes but made one of them, say, 245, that would just make it harder for most teams to fill all weight classes. A lot more boys are bunched up in the 125 to 160 range, where you have to keep decent wrestlers out because you don't have a spot for them and yet forfeit 215 or heavyweight -- or make a 200-pounder wrestle up.