Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2009/2010 - December 5

How exactly was it decided by the ref?

Tom got warned for stalling twice. Should have been a point awarded and the match would not have gone into O.T. I didn't catch it until it was too late.

Tom got warned for stalling twice. Should have been a point awarded and the match would not have gone into O.T. I didn't catch it until it was too late.

and then there was the controversial locked hands non-call.  that would have prevented the OT.

UK Pride,

I could be wrong but teams from KY follow KHSAA rules not IHSAA rules, therefore MS kids CAN wrestle in Indiana.  If they can wrestle for the Varsity in KY they can in anyother state. 

I have written documentation from the OHSAA head honchos regarding this exact matter.

119Rider is exactly right.  When a Kentucky school goes to another state, they must follow the rules of whatever athletic "body" sanctions the event.  In this case, Union was in Indiana for an event hosted by a member school of the IHSAA so they must follow IHSAA rules for that event which means no middle school kids can compete at the high school level.  They still adhere to KHSAA guidelines, but if another sanctioned athletic governing body is more strict and the event is in their jurisdiction, they must follow those rules.  I don't know what the OHSAA "head honchos" were on, but they misinformed you.

and then there was the controversial locked hands non-call.  that would have prevented the OT.

its sad to say sometimes... but if the ref doesn't call it, it didnt happen...

Questionable calls happen all the time. And the winner and loser are always going to have a different perspective. One could also argue that Shirey didn't receive a takedown he should have.

Ranger just wondering why did you put me and preston lashley up on the rankings we haven't done anything since last year im not bagging you for putting us up there but sitting out a year and you put us up there???  :?

Ranger just wondering why did you put me and preston lashley up on the rankings we haven't done anything since last year im not bagging you for putting us up there but sitting out a year and you put us up there???  :?

Yes, sitting out a year has a major negative impact on your performance, but a good wrestler will be able to still have some success.  I don't have you in the top 10 or challenging for a medal, but I think you both will win your fair share of matches.

Or the two non-call takedowns on the edge of the mat? Guess that would've prevented OT too. Tell both sides.

Regardless, that match will be a lot more lopsided if it happened again.

Or the two non-call takedowns on the edge of the mat? Guess that would've prevented OT too. Tell both sides.

Whenever you step on the mat there are four, sometimes five people that can determine the outcome of a match. The time keeper (doesn't start or stop the time right- leaves a last second take downs or misses one); The ref / 2nd. ref-sometimes (Questionable calls are going to happen no matter what, Happens in all sports); The last two are the wrestlers (Who should know that the refs and time keeper play a role in the match, therefor they should be scoring more than 1 or 2 points then the other guy/pinning them to take control of the match and not leaving it to questionable calls/time)

All wrestlers know what can happen before a match, if they don't like to lose due to questionable calls then get better and take it out of the refs hands or don't wrestle.

Whenever you step on the mat there are four, sometimes five people that can determine the outcome of a match. The time keeper (doesn't start or stop the time right- leaves a last second take downs or misses one); The ref / 2nd. ref-sometimes (Questionable calls are going to happen no matter what, Happens in all sports); The last two are the wrestlers (Who should know that the refs and time keeper play a role in the match, therefor they should be scoring more than 1 or 2 points then the other guy/pinning them to take control of the match and not leaving it to questionable calls/time)

All wrestlers know what can happen before a match, if they don't like to lose due to questionable calls then get better and take it out of the refs hands or don't wrestle.

I completely agree. I wasn't the one that said the ref decided the match.

like I said in my original post...from what I heard...I can't tell both sides, I wasn't there.  I was just passing on what I heard. 

Regardless, the only way you can be sure that it will be more lopsided next time is if you are Tom Shirey.  If that's the case...I can see why you got your panties in a knot.  Did I mention Tom won...yeah, I did...OK.

119Rider is exactly right.  When a Kentucky school goes to another state, they must follow the rules of whatever athletic "body" sanctions the event.  In this case, Union was in Indiana for an event hosted by a member school of the IHSAA so they must follow IHSAA rules for that event which means no middle school kids can compete at the high school level.  They still adhere to KHSAA guidelines, but if another sanctioned athletic governing body is more strict and the event is in their jurisdiction, they must follow those rules.  I don't know what the OHSAA "head honchos" were on, but they misinformed you.

I believe it is the "Don't ask don't tell" policy in Ohio.  Same as gays in the military.  Coaches, officials and OHSAA administrators say the rule applies to Ohio kids only. Don't shoot the messanger here only what I have been told several times by each one of these people.

I believe it is the "Don't ask don't tell" policy in Ohio.  Same as gays in the military.  Coaches, officials and OHSAA administrators say the rule applies to Ohio kids only. Don't shoot the messanger here only what I have been told several times by each one of these people.

I spoke to the dad involved in the incident that grapplehed was referring to a while back.  He was at a meet in Ohio and half way into the event a coach raised a fuss and he was not allowed to wrestle.  They took it as high as it can go in Ohio and found out that (at least in Ohio) the bylaws in Ohio stated that a kid is eligible in their home state, they are eligible in Ohio.  I would think Indiana/Kentucky has a similar case, if not, wouldn't Kentucky teams raise a bigger stink about Indiana kids being eligible at age 19 their senior year?

I am not sure of Ohio's bylaws, but I know for sure that middle schoolers cannot wrestle in Indiana.

Even when Indiana schools come over here they are not allowed to wrestle middle school kids.

Not sure if this will help with out of state eligibility, best to get a lawyer to be safe. :-D

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw23.pdf

Bylaw 23. Sanctions

Sec. 1) Contests Within State

All contests within Kentucky played by KHSAA member schools

shall be governed by the rules and regulations established by the

Board of Control including Article VIII of the KHSAA Constitution.

Approval for any exemptions shall come through the Commissioner.

The Commissioner or Board of Control shall not sanction (approve

for play) any meet, tournament, game, or all-star contest unless a

member school, conference, group of member schools, or coaches

association is the sponsor. The legal sponsor shall have full control

over planning, supervision, and disposition of fi nances. A member

school shall not take part in any tournament, game, or contest

from which any outside organization derives a fi nancial profi t

from ticket sales.

Sec. 2) Interstate Contests

Member schools of the KHSAA shall adhere to all restrictions

contained in the National Federation of State High School

Associations

Thanks for clearing that up Coach Brown. Always nice to have a real coach back up the info we have, gives me some validity.  :-D

Wow, I believe that was an inadvertant slap across the face.  Last time I checked, I thought I was listed as a "real" coach.  I get paid and everything, lol.  Like I said, KHSAA schools still follow KHSAA bylaws and guidelines, but when they travel to the jurisdiction of another athletic governing body, they must follow their rules.  Kentucky allows middle school kids to wrestle at the HS level so in Kentucky or any other state that does the same, MS kids can wrestle.  Indiana does not allow MS kids to wrestle so when Kentucky schools or any other school that is a member of an athletic organization that does allow MS kids to wrestle travels to Indiana, they can't.  Now, like Coach Brown was saying, Indiana does not allow MS kids to wrestle in HS competition regardless of where the event is held.  IHSAA member schools still follow the IHSAA bylaws and regulations, so therefore, when an Indiana wrestles in Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky or wherever, MS kids still can't wrestle at the HS level.  Basically, Kentucky schools still follow KHSAA bylaws unless the host state's governing athletic body has more stringent bylaws, then KHSAA member schools must follow those.  If the host state's governing athletic body has more lax bylaws, then KHSAA schools follow the KHSAA guidelines while still adhering to the host states's rules or bylaws.

So do I understand this correctly;

If an IN HS team is wrestling in KY and a MS wrestler is wrestling for a KY Team and matches up against an IN wrestler, the IN wrestler is not allowed to wrestle him because he is Middle School aged.

Sounds like all coaches should bring Birth Certificates and Legal counsel to tournaments this season, jk

I spoke to the dad involved in the incident that grapplehed was referring to a while back.  He was at a meet in Ohio and half way into the event a coach raised a fuss and he was not allowed to wrestle.  They took it as high as it can go in Ohio and found out that (at least in Ohio) the bylaws in Ohio stated that a kid is eligible in their home state, they are eligible in Ohio.  I would think Indiana/Kentucky has a similar case, if not, wouldn't Kentucky teams raise a bigger stink about Indiana kids being eligible at age 19 their senior year?

That was exactly what I was referring to DMaster,  The OHSAA were the Head Honcho's and I have it in writing from the Commish on wrestling at the OHSAA, so I was not misinformed. That was only reason I brought that up about IN but they must not be able to wrestle over there. The Host school and head official argued the point of liability of the MS so the matches were forfeited until documentation was provided.  I believe the exact quotes are listed on this forum somewhere.

central hardin today beat both seneca and woodford and wrestled very very good as a team today i very proud of the way we wrestled

Seneca did not wrestle with a full team on Sat...