wrestlewatcher

Request for prayers-Jacob Bradford

Most of you are probably not aware that on Friday evening reigning 189lb State Champ Jacob Bradford sustained deep 2nd degree burns over 50% of his body in a bonfire accident.  Jake is at UK Medical Center in critical condition, however, barring any setbacks, his prognosis is good.  He has remained stable since the accident and will undergo surgery on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Please offer your prayers for Jake and his family during this time.  I know it would mean a lot to them. 

As you can imagine expenses will add up very quickly for this family.  An account is being set up at the US Bank on US 42 to assist with costs for Jake and the Bradford family (fuel, medical, rehabilitation).  I'm sure they would be most grateful for any and all contributions. 

Jacob underwent surgery yesterday to remove dead skin (99% of the dead skin was removed), do some skin grafts, and biopsy other skin samples to be grown in the lab and grafted at a later date, perhaps as early as Friday.  This is a great milestone for Jake.  Jake was sedated for the first several days but has responded to his dad's voice and acknowledges that he hears his parents.  Doctors are pleased with his progress to date and are hopeful that he will continue to make improvements daily.

Please continue to include Jake and his family in your prayers.  His recovery will be long and painful, but he is a fighter and will prevail.  Our thoughts go out to them!

Update on Jake-He was taken off of the ventilator, I believe today, and has had a tracheotomy.  His parents report that his vitals are great and he has prepped for surgery for tomorrow to replace cadaver skin with his own skin.  He will require grafts on his lower back, back of his legs and a small amount on his hands.  Jake's physicians and parents are pleased with his progress and are very encouraged.  His next surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning. 

Your prayers and kind thoughts are always appreciated. 

We really want to see that this thread does not get buried.  Jacob is truly what wrestling is all about.  Two years ago Jacob gave up football and dedicated himself completely to the sport transforming his mind and body into an unstoppable force.  Throughout the course of the last season he let his wrestling do his talking, not boasting of his success nor making excuses for his few losses.  Now Jacob has a much more formidable task than winning a state title and that is battling the physical and mental torture that is associated with burn victims and healing.  We know you will make it Jacob.  You are truly a great young man. 

Please give Jacob your support on this thread so that he knows we are thinking about him.

Ryle will be holding a camp next Saturday... October 10th... as a benefit for Jake.  Please pass the word.  There is more information in the High School section... including a link to the registration form.  If you have questions you can contact Tim Ruschell at 859-760-4977 or 859-428-1624. 

We visited Jake in the burn center at UK on Sunday. He is conscious but cannot speak because he has a tracheotomy tube. He is weak but coherent and can communicate with a picture board. They are waiting to see if he needs a third and final graft.  If  all goes well he will be able to come home in 3-4 weeks and begin rehab

I don't know Jake, but my son was with him that night.  He says that Jake was very courageous after it happened.  He was in extreme pain, but did not panic.  His composure actually helped those who were trying to assist him while they waited for the ambulance.  Those of you who know him won't be surprised to hear that he was a great leader of the new team and they are anxious for him to return to the school.  His roommates have pledged to do everything necessary to aid his return to the classroom and the mat.

We got a call from our son at midnight when this happened and he was noticable shaken from seeing his friend and roommate and practice partner undergo such a horrible experience.  He was only a foot away from Jake and we couldn't help but think that it could just as easily been our child.  I urge to you make a donation to the fund to help with his expenses.  You never know when it could be your child.  And I think Jake would be one of the first to step up to help if it had happened to someone else.

Jake is a great guy and will be an asset to Lindsey Wilson on and off the mat. 

Update:  He underwent his last skin graph surgery and so far so good.  He is progressing well and was sitting in a chair today.  He is hoping he will get to come home in the next week or so.  His good health and physical condition has helped his recovery...

Prayers and donations are still needed and appreciated.  Donations can be made to any US Bank location. 

This is Jacob Bradford. I thank you all and appreciate all the prayers and donations that have been graciously sent to me. It helps to know that people are out there pulling for me. You guys don't know how much it means for me that everyone has come together on my behalf to help not only me, but my family as well, throughout the whole process. A special thanks goes out to all who made my benefit camp a success, I am extremely grateful.

Jake,

I'm glad to see you are recovering well.  Keep it up.  Be strong! 

From all of us at the Cooper Jaguar Wrestling Staff and Team.

I received this in an email tonight. 

Melissa called me this evening with some fabulous news: they went and got Jacob at UK Hospital yesterday and brought him up to Cincinnati. He went to UC for a visit, and because he is doing so well, he was fitted for garments and was given a medical massage