Sign in to follow this  
shukydoohicks

Club teams vs school teams?

I know in middle school club teams and school teams compete for the same state championship, is there any club team for highschool or do you have to wrestle for a school to win state. (Ind or team).  I relize this is a silly question but I need confirmation. 

I know in middle school club teams and school teams compete for the same state championship, is there any club team for highschool or do you have to wrestle for a school to win state. (Ind or team).  I relize this is a silly question but I need confirmation. 

Coach Brown is correct.  You can only wrestle for the High School that you are attending.  You may want to check out the Kentucky High School Athletic Assoc. website and look at the Bylaws.  The site is www.khsaa.org.  The bylaws go into great detail about eligibility but it is pretty cut and dry that 1) there are no "clubs" and 2) you can only participate in a sport for the high school where you are earning credits

Just to play devil's advocate and clarify the rule:

What if the student is home-schooled?  Would it be the district he resides in or...?

Any other special situations that could possibly "go-around" the rule such as above that may need clarification?

I think the bylaws address home schooling.  Case 14 under Bylaw 4 specifically states that the athlete must be enrolled full time at the high school or feeder schoolll in the local district.  Many cases are presented in the bylaws.

What exactly is the rule for a school that drops the sport? I cant remember

To my knowledge there is no special rule for this scenario.  If your school drops it, then they are not a member of the KHSAA for that sport, so you are not eligible to participate.  You can check out the bylaws and the cases, which I have not done, but I don't think there are exceptions. 

What exactly is the rule for a school that drops the sport? I cant remember

No rule in place for this event.  Jordan Lewis tried to transfer schools because Ballard was going to drop their team he was found ineligible.

You can try 2 things.

1.  Try to get your team to allow you to compete.  Apollo only had 1 wrestler for a couple of years.

2.  Petition the KHSAA for a school change and maybe transfer schools.

As far as I know there are the only 2 options.

No rule in place for this event.  Jordan Lewis tried to transfer schools because Ballard was going to drop their team he was found ineligible.

You can try 2 things.

1.  Try to get your team to allow you to compete.  Apollo only had 1 wrestler for a couple of years.

2.  Petition the KHSAA for a school change and maybe transfer schools.

As far as I know there are the only 2 options.

Well I feel alot safer with the program for this year but Fort Campbell atheletes I think are given exceptions. I know that by moving off post there are never any issues in transferring eligibility