Sign in to follow this  
Anklepick

Football/Wrestlers

OK.  I will take these names to the coach after the seasons over and see what he has to say about it.  An ultimatum is a very powerful statement. If this is his stance, then he obviously does not understand that the two sports compliment one another. Thanks

I would be very surprised if a coached actually admitted to giving an athlete an ultimatum. I think you'll most likely get a political dance step answer, such as "I told him that should concentrate on one sport to maximize his potential." 

The Benefits of Wrestling

By Jack Fisher (info@texaswrestling.com)

Editor of Texas Wrestling Magazine

Talking with football coaches, I find they labor under the myth that wrestling is an off-season sport that detracts from their program and does not support the goals of football.  What are the goals of football?  Strength, speed, endurance, quickness, coordination, balance and weight gain are the most sought after outcomes for young athletes in football.  I will concede that wrestling does not support the goal of weight gain but encourages its athletes to maintain or cut weight.  Football and wrestling are both maligned by the public for the methods often used by their athletes to achieve their weight goals.  More has been said about the ill effects of weight gain products than the methods wrestlers use to lose weight.  Now with the rule that a high school athlete cannot lose more than 10% of their body weight from the certification weight at the beginning of the season, less controversy surrounds weight loss efforts as it has achieved a more natural process.  Having 275 as the limit for heavy weight wrestlers, it excludes offensive linemen tipping the scales at more than 305 pounds.  Football coaches need not fear that their behemoth linemen will shrink in size, as they would be disqualified the minute they step on the scales.  The sleek, speedy, muscular, linebackers and defensive backs, however, will find wrestling the most enduring off-season sport. 

Ounce of ounce, you will not find a stronger athlete than a superior wrestler.  Many an unskilled and inexperienced wrestler has achieved victory through strength alone.  Those who achieve greatness, however, are skilled, experienced, and strong.  Wrestling coaches of winning programs incorporate weight lifting and strength building as a part of their training, some even having weight rooms, free weights and weight machines of their own.  Even wrestlers that do not follow a regimen of weight lifting on their own will acquire strength on the mat by the resistance they meet in their opponents.  The sport demands that you overpower your opponent, hence the need for strength.

Speed is an indirect outcome of wrestling.  It is achieved by the strength and conditioning requirements for a wrestler in training.  Just as in track (which by the way is a sport that does not overlap in seasons with wrestling), the great sprinters do much weight training with the lower body, an effective wrestler will work the upper and lower body equally.  There is great demand put on the lower body of a wrestler as he pushes against his foe while in the neutral position, or in having to lift his opponent off the mat while bringing him down to the mat under control.  As a part of conditioning, some coaches require running distances and sprints to get the body in shape, just as a track coach would do for his runners to build speed and endurance.

I once overheard an outstanding wrestler (state champion at 145 and two-time state placer) who also was an all-district standout in football his junior and senior year at linebacker, comment at the end of football season,

Great post -- all so true. However

"Time outs are allowed for injuries only, not to catch your breath." ???

This is supposed to be the case, but I see wrestlers take time outs at pretty much every tournament. Some have learned to feign injury so they can rest, get water, etc. Others yell out that they're hurt when they're being pinned so they can stop the action.

OK.  I will take these names to the coach after the seasons over and see what he has to say about it.  An ultimatum is a very powerful statement. If this is his stance, then he obviously does not understand that the two sports compliment one another. Thanks

I too am aware of these individuals given ultimatiums.... but let's be clear about how the ultimatium worked.  They were not told they needed to quit, but if they chose to continue to wrestle they were immediately moved from starting positions to backup or bench.  This many times meant that an athlete like Bryan Peace sat the bench rather than starting.  He was probably one of the quickest players you would find on the field and yet would find himself on the bench or playing only a few minutes per game.  So... you can take the list to the coach and he will tell you he did not make them quit... which he didn't, but I doubt he will own up to telling them they had to make a choice.  Each of the individuals above... over several separate years/occasions, have said the same thing. 

I believe the biggest concern is the "cutting weight" aspect... but the coaches haven't taken the time to learn how the conditioning, training,  and the overall body strength... the total body control this sport gives an athlete.  If they did, they would understand that a well conditioned wrestler would be one of the biggest assets on their football team.

Used to be a student could and was encouraged to participate as many sports as possible... sometimes 3 or 4.  Now they are discouraged to participate in more than 1.  These kids are only kids once and their opportunity to participate in these sports many times ends after high school.  We as parents, teachers, administration, coaches, etc. are really doing these kids a huge disservice.

A lot of Sheldon Clark's wrestlers are playing in the state semifinal game this friday against Somerset. Notable starters include:

Matt Slone- running back/corner back

Avery Ray- running back/outside linebacker

Casey Delong- tight/split end

Austin Stepp- quarterback

Brad Stafford- fullback/defensive end

Dustin Burchett- center/defensive tackle

Congrats boys on a regional championship last weekend and good luck this week. Lets win one more and go to the state championship game in Bowling Green!!!

How did Shelden Clark do???

Sheldon Clark had 7 turnovers in a 28-12 loss to Somerset in the state semi's last friday. They had a great season and should be very proud of everything they accomplished. We wish good luck to Somerset this weekend they are very classy bunch of players and fans.