Sign in to follow this  
grapplehed

push for more KY college wrestling

The MSC  Mid South Conference just added wrestling as an official sport.  They are Cumberland Univ. TN, Campbellsville, LW, Univ. of the Cumberlands and WV Institute of Tech. 

This is a great time to flood the gates with support to our KY colleges in the MSC that do not have wrestling,

KY Christian, GEORGETOWN, Berea, PIkeville, St. Catherine, and Union.  Obviously, someone's eyes have opened to the opportunities here. 

With your support and interest, we may be able to help another KY college start wrestling. 

I think this is a great opportunity, but I don't think you will see anything happen at Georgetown. The leadership there is, to put it lightly, not very good. I don't think they will take the opportunity to expand their athletics department.

College wrestling programs are the best way to improve the quality of wrestling as a state.  It may take a little longer for the trickle down effect to work but no doubt the most effective.

College wrestling programs are the best way to improve the quality of wrestling as a state.  It may take a little longer for the trickle down effect to work but no doubt the most effective.

I think you are 100% right about that.  When some of these guys start picking up head coaching jobs throughout the state I think you are going to see Kentucky take off.

So here's a question to any of the college coaches I see logging onto this site.  What do you need the public to do to show support?  Show up at dual meets, attend camps, what else can help?  Writing letters?

I am a senior this year and I am looking to wrestle in college. at the school websites of union college in kentucky and university of the rio grande in ohio I asked if there was any chance of them starting wrestling teams anytime soon.

I still have yet to get a response from either school. but I think if either of these or any colleges get enough prospective students asking for a wrestling team, this might be a way to get them to consider starting teams.

Its hard to say plee what exactly draws the interest of colleges to a new sport but I would say money would be number one and that means the chance of recruiting more numbers to their school. They would have to look at it over a long period time as an investment. hard to jump into that at this time with the way our economy is.